It's official - Offline racers are cooler than online racers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by P.S.R., Nov 1, 2015.

1. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Yep, that's why I race offline.

2. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

A couple of points I see as issues with rfactor2 online.

The leagues have servers up for their members, the reasons they are closed to non members has been well covered and have merit. Solution, build a bridge.

Open potential mp servers are empty of users for the most part in my time zone. No AI to drive against when empty in most either. Ergo, for casual drivers, little to be gained from driving on these servers. Empty servers do not attract more drivers. Go back to beginning of this paragraph and repeat over and over.

Is the default setting in rfactor2 network setting still, join as spectator in prefs? No popup saying you are either. Took me ages to figure out why I could join but not drive on online tracks.

Which leaves offline where you can do whatever you like, drive what ever you like and over time learn to set up and drive well enough to join a league and test yourself, IF you choose to.

Durge likes what he likes and has set up a server for his taste in cars and tracks and personally helps others interested in them also to drive them well....Fantastic work. Why isn't there more of this from the leagues and other competent people to assist others with setups And lines, NOT just complain that newbies spoil their server? rFactor2 can be ( for me IS but I enjoy the amazing challenge ) an extremely daunting sim as it is NOT dumbed down for the masses. If I wanted dumbed down there are several viable alternatives where the online side is thriving. Einstein is not required here surely???

Just my two bobs worth as a slow driver, who doesn't drive online often for the above reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2015
  3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Feel free to check out all 4 of PhoenixRacingClub.net's servers, only passworded minutes before qualifying for the actual events and also with working GetMod (except paid or beta content), changing weather and progressive realroad.
    As Brack Jabham wrote, passwording is done for a reason. The owners of the club want to keep the races that do count as clean as possible and frustration-free to the club members. I like an open server approach but respect and understand the idea of ensuring no last-second wreckers or hotlappers come into the session, possibly spoiling it for guys who have been practicing for a week.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Notice my first post, which was a mild sarcastic one, and the 2nd, where I reacted to the Durgemeister. Quite a difference.
    Ever so often Durge gets to me, I usually ignore or go sarcastic, this time I felt the need to respond because it was so outrageous.

Maybe read my 2nd post again :)

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Again, maybe read my 2nd post :p

There is a big difference between random joiners whom will never return and people actually joining a league.
    Many, if not all, leagues will help a new member out no matter how inexperienced he or she is.

You know what will happen when MP picks up and open servers fill up again? Threads of people complaining about the horrifying level of race conduct, crashers, noobs, flamers, etc.
    Its the nature of pickup racing and our curse. because we need that as well, we need new players trying MP, getting fed up with open servers and join leagues to get serious.

6. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

We're not racing online to be cool - we're doing it because we're competitive as ****.

An e-peen isn't nearly as satisfying after winning an offline race as it is online.

7. QUF

QUF Registered

But doesn't the race system have flags and penalties for that to not happen? There will always be some crashes/accidents as in real life racing, but the race continues.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Theoretically yes. But penalties and flags wont stop people divebombing T1 and taking out half the field.
    Or start racing on a warmup lap forcing to restart the server.
    Or people going the opposite direction.
    Or people joining 1 minute before the race and no knowing the layout. or rf2.
    Or start chatting in caps during a race swearing at the guy who did not take them out.
    etc.

But it can happen, even in random open servers, good races can be have.
    But that requires everyone to be reasonably up to date with what is going on and how to behave.

From a league's pov however it sometimes takes too much out of it, members are testing before an official event, want to get it on without too much hassle.
    And yes, incidents happen, but there is a big difference in an incident caused by someone who doesn't know/care and a member doing a silly action. at least you get an apology and there will be a discussion on what happened and why.

http://legends-league.com/wiki/rf2Driver

http://legends-league.com/wiki/rf2DriverConduct

http://legends-league.com/wiki/rf2Leagues

9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I race online because I like people and I can't buy a real life race car to be with them :D
    Also because AI is AI, no matter how good they are there is always a pattern they follow, once I find out I end up abusing it no matter how much I try not to do it
    If only more offline drivers would get out of their safe zone and join a league, would be great. I did years ago and never drove offline again :)

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

There are some more reasons why people race offline rather than online, not just because they are (social) misfits as is suggested here.
    A few of them:

- guys don’t want to see the reading box pop up every time when they drive, surely not in qualifying
    - guys don’t want to get booted by some sore owner or admin when they finally reach P1
    - guys don’t want to be called names or get booted when they vote “no” to advance when they are in their first lap
    - guys don’t want a practice time of 5 minutes, just because the admin already has a 2000 lap experience so he can win
    - guys don’t want a restart every time they have a proper start but one of the admins or their friends make a mistake in the first corner
    - guys want a session of their track and/or car or combo of their choice
    - guys don’t want to search for hours for a server that has: a) enough people in there, b) no password, c) a track, car or combo they want, d) decent people in there
    - guys don’t want to be hit by every b*tthole that thinks he can win the race in the first corner

So, talking about (social) misfits; there are enough online too.

All those things happened to me, even when I joined a league.
    In practice races, when the two or three top guys collided and I had a good start, me being first sometimes, without warning the race was restarted.
    When I collided the next race but the top guys were okay; they kept going!
    When I made a remark; I was whining and the biggest b*tthole to ever walk the face of the earth. I was also when I tried to set my first timed lap and the top guys were done and I voted "no"........I got a LOT of static!

Even in practice when a new guy came in and started to misbehave (driving the wrong way, coming out of the trees t-boning guys and so on) I was the one that almost got banned when I wrote the admin about it........"it was just fun"........well, I was trying to practice........and new members were SO important (they might donate!)

So don't even get me started on social awkward!

11. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Cut out the crap mate. If you join serious leagues like VEC, GT Italia etc. etc.......... nothing you describe happends.

12. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ow, this was a serious league.
    But I wasn't talking ONLY leagues, I said "even leagues".

So, read proper before you start of with "cut out the crap"........thats not nice and for a superior being like you, driving online and such, being such a superior guys to be able to be judging people and put them in boxes, just not done. (Fourth post, this topic)

13. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Fourth post was a joke. Grow up.

14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Tipical for a Godlike person........picking a fight, making it all okay by putting a smily in there; you said your thing but "it was a joke".

You get pretty offensive while I was just making my point in general; those are reasons TOO why guys don't want to go online.......... but online is important to you; good luck with that.

15. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Remember, with great power. comes great responsibility.

16. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

:)

17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

It sounds exaggerated, but I don't doubt it would be true, some people can be really crazy when they become admins. But leaving a place like this and finding another one to race is possible, not every league is like that, tbh a minority is (I had a similar experience in IMT, the day people got fed up we created another forum, the EEC)
    We have a simple rules: report accidents, be fair when defending, if a meteor fall on the grid in the start of the race and take out half of the grid ask for a restart, otherwise keep driving :D
    Tho we don't use rF2, not sure if we'll ever do.

18. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I wish it was exaggerated but its not.
    But guys, don't get me wrong here; I'm not saying all leagues are crap and do this stuff(!!) I'm just saying; this stuff does happen online and (some of that/sometimes) EVEN in A league (I have not tested ALL leagues, but I was not saying that also).

So; is not about leagues, its about online.

So, some guys, me included, don't want this stuff and choose to drive offline. That doesn't have to be because "we are scared of other people" or do a lap around Monaco in 35 minutes as often suggested here.
    Those kind of suggestions made it personal, hence the discussion going on.
    But one can say everything he wants, insult people IF there is a smily next to it; then its all good.

If I tell my neighbor to drop dead right then and there and wink after that; I get a black eye no matter what........but online writing; you can say those things and do ;)

19. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

I have no idea where you have been racing, but none of these things happened to me in leauge racing and I raced in a number of diffrent communities.

It's a sure thing, that leauge racing basically kills open lobby racing. At the very start of rF2 there were always a few Megane oder 60's F1 servers populated and I did have some great races except for Monaco, because 80% of the drivers wrecked their car on lap 1.

I did race a Honda BTCC leauge that run even the leauge races public (points only for signed up drivers) and the fields very pretty big, but for the next season most drivers voted to password the server during race time. It made the races a bit less insane, but the fields got quite a bit smaller. For me the most annoying thing is that most of the public servers run very long practice and qualy session and short races. If I join a public race I join it to race and not to practice.

I have setup a 24h race for this month and we even kept the server public until a few days ago, but had to close it for practice races. I enjoy public racing sometimes, but the big advantage in leauges or clubs is that you know the guys you are racing with and that makes it so much better. You exactly know when you are coming to the chase on Bathurst side-by-side that it is possible and you wont have a massive accident, because you know you drive with a responsible driver.

20. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

:confused: What leagues have you been participating in? Been doing online for over 3 years now and I've not experienced any of that.

There are rules against chatting in quali/race.
    Admins are impartial.

That was clearly a once-off mini league somewhere where the admin was a child, and says nothing of the proper leagues. A few that I can recommend, is FSR, GPVWC, RaceConnect, iRaceOnline and SRZ. None of this crap there.