It's been a while...

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Michael Juliano, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

...since I last had time to post any updates. As I hope you can understand, it has been a rather hectic, crazy time. So, without further introduction...

As you all have seen by now, Monte Carlo was the "monster of a track" I mentioned previously. While in scale it's not that big, the shear amount of art that it took to create it was staggering. This is the second time I've done MC (first time was done in only a couple of months and was a rush job), and I honestly never want to build it again. Luc and I are still recovering from it :) That said, it makes use of all the techniques we have developed and refined to date for building tracks with such a small environment team. It sets the standard for any tracks we build from here out for release and the updates beyond. It also pointed out some other little flaws in our technique, which we've already applied to the track we're currently working on.

It's funny, in a way I wish we could re-do all the tracks prior to this one. While I think all our current tracks look great as-is, some of the earliest-built ones do suffer a bit from having been updated over and over while engine and game features were being developed and refined. But that's okay--we have a lot of great stuff coming up. Things are much more stable now and we can really play to our strengths...

We had started an update for Toban, and it was progressing nicely, BUT, we had to set that aside for a bit to work on another track to go along with a new car license we have. This will be an addition to the beta build of the historic open-wheel mod, and we wanted a track to go along with this new car.

After that we should be able to complete the Toban update. The "new" Toban will be different to the new Mills. Where the owners of Mills had money to upgrade the track, garage and grandstands, Toban has only gotten 6 years older with very little upkeep. So, visually it will have a much different look.

Beyond that, we are at varying stages of licensing deals and will have a WIDE range of new racing series and tracks to go with. Plus, as you all have seen, we're keen to get point-to-point working with proper ladder-type scoring. We're still eager to expand dirt racing as well. All of this will help rF2 continue to grow and expand in many new directions long after release.

Even between the time we release the first Beta to the first "Gold" release, we will be updating not only the series you'll soon see, but adding new series as they reach a more final state. We have many close to this stage--rFTrainers, FISI, Clios, karts as well as a few others. There will be a lot coming to keep you busy.

Finally, we will be offering support to modders with regards to cars and tracks. We'll still have our hands full with new content as well as fixes, but we have a few documents lined up, as well as some forum support to get you all started.

I expect a slew of quick rF1 track conversions to "hit the shelves" VERY quickly. While a track from rF1 won't be drag and drop and a bit more work is required to get them to use the newer track features, it is easy to get a basic conversion up and running--just re-export the original assets using the new exporter, and package them up into a new track component.

The new component/mod system seems a bit restrictive at first. But, I can honestly say that once you learn to work in a more organized fashion it will be just as easy to add content to rF2 as it was for rF1--even more so because you won't have all the mismatch madness to contend with. I think league admins will also have an easier time in the long run as they'll be able to keep their drivers more organized. I have a tutorial doc ready to go that will hopefully help ease the learning process for the new system...

In any case, this will probably be the last update before the holidays. Happy Holidays to all who celebrate, no matter how or what you celebrate. We'll be seeing you all online at the track very soon. Not long to go now--thanks for your patience through this long development.

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

I believe I'm entitled to simply add: "+1" :)

3. shum94

shum94 Registered

Thank you Scott for this update and very informative post.

4. Michael Juliano

HEHE -- You're entitled to add as much as you'd like after MC :p

5. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Thanks for report Scott. Happy Holidays, without a MC in your mind hehe.

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Thanks Scott (and Luc :) ) for such huge update and happy holidays to you guys!

Scott, are you planning to release some documentation before the open beta, to get us sort of prepare, to what we might expect when we finally get rF 2 onto our hdds?
    Depending on what can be released from documentation, it might help in preparing our content for conversion to the new platform.

7. Michael Juliano

Hmmm--I don't think we're PLANNING on it--think the current plan is to put it all out at the same time. I'll ask around to be sure though...

8. sg333

sg333 Registered

Thanks for the update. Monte Carlo looks like a work of art in the video, cant wait to be running it. Congrats :)

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

OK, thanks in advance :)

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks for the update Scott (and Luc!), excited about Toban getting a bit of a facelift and whatever new tracks you have in store. Have a great Christmas and New Year.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Awesome stuff! It was a good read and thanks for posting.

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Anticipation'o'meter just skyrocketed :p

Thanks for the update and Merry Christmas / Happy Hanukkah / happy holidays or whatever ;)

13. cluj

cluj Registered

Many news about the game these last days, this is promising .... :)
    Happy holidays guys.

14. Dylan

Dylan Registered

Thanks for the update! I had purely been looking forward to the historics at Spa and Monaco, but running Meganes at a bumpy old Toban sounds great :)

Looking forward to taking a spin early next year.
    Have a good break Scott, Luc and all at ISI

Dylan.

15. Sam Binfield

Sam Binfield Registered

Glad to see that there are plans for documentation. There never seemed to be much for rF1, but I understand that much of the modding information was lost when RSC went down. Keep up the good work ISI, and Merry Christmas!

16. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Appreciate the update, interesting stuff. Thanks for all your hard work guys, and enjoy your holidays.

17. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Appreciate the detailed post, the Monaco video looked fantastic so if that's anything to go by, rF2 will definitely be a success.

Happy festive season.

18. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

Toban is back YAY! I loved it for it's rustic appeal even before reading that it would look even older, it's probably the textures and all those worn lines. :)

Btw, it's probably a good idea to release any documentation beforehand, because you'd only be taking advantage of peoples need for information which they would disregard straight away if they had a choice between reading a manual and playing the beta.

It's nice to know the answers in your head if you run into difficulties or to visualize things before being in a situation without a reference point, etc. I hope you get what I'm trying to say. :eek:

19. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

pics, or it didn't happen

20. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Thanks for the update Scott!!!!!! :cool: