iT IS THE SIMPLE STUFF!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MKD, Jul 17, 2013.

1. MKD

MKD Registered

Well as a multi platform sim-racer I have to say RF2 is heading to the dumpsters. Yes it has alot of excellent things.. BUT the critical aspect of USER FRIENDLY is dismissed as not necessary.. The whole mod install process is broken, and way too complicated.. So many things wont work without 1 particular version of a file installed and the getmod seldom works.. This is a critical aspect in my eyes .. and is way too complicated.. These are computers and software, that allegedly are designed to make operation EASIER and LESS confusing.. I do not find this to be the case in RF2 at all..

When you have issues, the "support resort "is to do a re-install.. People do NOT want to jump through hoops to play a sim.. They want to click and GO..

Been onboard since beginning, and this has been an issue since it's creation.. None of my sim racing friends like it.. I think the only ones that like it are the developers..
    Just my two cents, Now i'm off to play a sim that does not require me to mess around hunting for specific versions of files etc.. and have fun..

2. nascar2112

nascar2112 Registered

I dont get whats so complicated especially now that everything is in component form, Rf1 was a way bigger mess with all the mods

3. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I consider myself the benchtest for stupidity when it comes to mods in sims -- ie if I can install it, it's pretty idiot proof. I have no problems now.

4. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

I think things have really gotten better on this front since, as nascar2112 mentioned, all the mods were released in rfcmp format. It's as simple as downloading the files to the 'Packages' folder, and installing them from the mod manager. I don't see what's so difficult about that. As far as I know, you don't really have to worry too much about version numbers now either, because there aren't the dependencies that came with the rfmods.

5. seancleric

seancleric Registered

Thanks we will im sure :cool:, cya when your back lol.

I dont see any real issues with get mod and most problems why you don't get will be server side.

For me Ive never had a issue with any problem I come across in games or pc in general, a quick google and problems solved tbh I read some posts like this and struggle to think how you are actually having problems with the system when its pretty straight forward, anyone who remembers mismatching with rf1 will know why its needed.
    I think a lot of people are to quick to moan or to quick to ask things like hey whats my resolution ? or something silly nowadays lol.

6. lamo

lamo Registered

Nonsense..., what more can I say. Waste of time readin it.

7. smithaz

smithaz Registered

The mod system is easy enough, especially if you only want to use ISI stuff. If you want to race online and use thrid party tracks then hunt them down and stick in the folder. I cant see ISI changing too much in this department. edit: And they have already said they plan to have new mods auto install when you start rfactor.
    The User Interface in general could definitely do with some work though, the online interface is seriously in need of improvement. They have just passed the benchmark of getting old content out in individual files so I reckon they will make a start in polishing the game up soon, in order to get it up to "marketable" standards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2013
  8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

There will always be people that just want to hop in and go, but those people really need to consider what is involved with mods and they need to comprehend the steps involved in installing them. If they feel they can't take the time to learn about mods, then let them use stock content only so it is all click and go.

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I don´t get it.... it´s simple as poop!

Maybe the Beta-process caused some confusion for Mr. MKD.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

rF2 isn't multi-platform, it is PC only.

Mod installation consists of putting the files in a directory, running a management utility and clicking install.

Getmod works every time it has been hooked up, which with our content is every piece of content.

If you want to be allowed to join with a different version of a file, and be potentially allowed to get an advantage or disadvantage due to that, or want someone else to, that's not going to happen, you need the same version of the same thing.

All the best. :)

11. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Couldent Be much more simple could it drop files in packages folder and let manager do the rest,So much easier than rf1 was

12. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Multi-platform sim-racer? Euphemism for "console gamer". Oops, I'm sorry, is that "calling names"?

13. seancleric

seancleric Registered

Personally I would find it extremely offensive :rolleyes:

14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

LOL :cool:

15. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Just ran your post though a profanity filter, please watch your language in future

16. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Heck, just look at me! Even I can operate this thing!

17. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

lol

I have a very close friend, who is very computer literate, who just will not play games on PC anymore... Keeps harassing me to play BF3 with him on Xbox... we played quite a bit together before I got my new pc. With his daughter, wife, house, hockey, motorcycle instruction, family he just does not have the time to fiddle with installing games, drivers, troubleshoot etc... not to mention having to upgrade frequently (he actually understands this is a reality in PC gaming :))
    That makes some sense...

What does confuse me is how people buy PC games, where the whole point is the moddablitity, like arma3 and rfactor2. And complain it isnt more like a console...

God help a PC sim where you can't adjust your setup, view telemetry, or install mods. And yes, this does require some knowledge and skill from the enduser... it's why consoles exist ...

18. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Now I know why a lot of people here kiss Tims butt; just a tad of criticism and he calls you a cheater........have to live with that for the rest of your life ;)

Nice to know ISI actually listens to feedback and......ow, wait; it's just a beta, don't whine! ;)

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

lol that makes two of us :D

20. Lecram

Lecram Registered

potentially and disadvantage, those are the words you forgot to read...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013