It is a shame!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Didi, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Radar

Radar Registered

Damn, that is the only reason I got into rF2 was to race online and run naked down the track (in a virtual way)..

Serious now.. I agree with what the OP had written IF I WAS DOING THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME (only capitalised as I no longer feel the same way as the OP).

After you get your head around how it's all done, it's not really that bad at all.. You have to download the track and mod you want anyway, but gone are the days of sitting in TS explaining to some noob 201 times where to install the tracks and mods in rF1 because one file was in the wrong place, or in my case had an Install program that made this easier by installing the files in the correct place by looking up their install location. What we now have is the same thing but in one file, and one location that never changes (Packages folder).

To add to the one file now instead of multiple, we now have the ability to add all our skins in a *.MAS file (tested and works great by the way ISI), so I am sure many will complain about this until they can get their heads around why it's done that way..

As I said, at 1st I was the same, now it's as easy as 1, 2, 3. People putting a series or mods together will spend a short time putting this together, the people who don't have to worry about anything other than downloading the car and track will only need to worry about getting the vMod via the Get Mod.. Can't see how it's all so difficult really..

2. Radar

Radar Registered

I agree here however, the ability to have a mod have *.ALL Cars would make this easier to combine any car with any track rather than creating multiple vmods for various track additons to a mod (when tracks are released)..

3. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Nobody is bothered, mate. Ta-ra!

4. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

First of all, a vmod is very different from an rfmod. A Vmod takes seconds to download. Secondly, I think it is awesome that ISI are coming up with a more modular approach of the modding system. This is very much needed to avoid incompatibility. Sure, there are some things that need to be improved (downloading system for example), but I think they mod system has already improved considerably. You shouldn't focus too much on the implementation for the moment. You should judge the overall vision.

I don't think anyone will deny that installing standalone mods through different installers was a mess and did not offer a lot of transparency. For example, I love the fact that the mod manager allows you to see all kinds of info on ALL the mods in a uniform, transparent manner. Yes, people will have to get used to it. But I think, once they have, they will laugh at fiddling around with inconsistent installers and files. I, for one, welcome the progressive attitude and ambition of ISI towards modding. I think modders and players alike should embrace it and try to give useful feedback instead of stating it should die a quick death.

Also, it is hardly ISIs fault that the most popular servers use a lot of tracks in their VMODs. That's the decision of the guys running the server. It makes sense however, because the first people to start racing online are the league racers and they want all tracks. I'm sure as multiplayer will gain popularity, there will be more populated servers with just a few or one track in their VMOD. Maybe it is also a possibility to check the current track that is being raced on and upon joining the player is notified that a change in track might lead to him being kicked of the server (because he doesn't have the track). I am sure ISI will improve the flexibility and ease of use.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  5. Plebre

Plebre Registered

What I am trying to say is that if you do a fresh ver.198 install, you will notice that on the mod manager there are no mods listed on the mods tab, only (multi)components at the components tab. So in the future if ISI update single (multi)components, it will simple because it will not depend from other (multi)components, like it was with rF2 ISI mods. At least was what I understand.
    Vmods are the also the way to go. Imagine that you want to join a online server or take part of a league, all you have do is to download the missing components listed by the vmod, go to mod manager and install it, easy. rF1 was a bit harder, deal with folders, for some people that is not so simple, and sometimes we not shure whats missing giving mistakes, at least immediatly.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

As I remember, only way to run mods at RF1 properly, was to have seperate instalations of Lite RF1 for each mod.

At the end, I had at least 50 instalations, did you prefer this?

Personally I thought it was a bad joke compared to RF2 system.

7. Miro

Miro Registered

Because you want to make sure that everybody must have the same prerequisites to compete. :D
    Sounds fair doesn't it?

8. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Can we please get some more filters in mod managers?

show only installed tracks
    show only installed cars
    show only installed plugins

Also add extra tabs for filtering/sorting version numbers of them all. So you can choose to view installed tracks only and get them listed ascending/descending thru version number also.

So that you can get a good view of it all

I think you should understand what I mean, atleast works in my head!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  9. Plebre

Plebre Registered

That's what I been imagine for some time now. I see ISI like a small team with almost the same persons from the begin. Also think that probably other projects/produts somehow are delaying rF2 develop. I believe in sustainable growth, but, and I will repeat myself, if talented mod teams move primarily to another platform could be hard to rF2 Expectations.

10. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

It's not a shame, it's a glory! :) Best racing sim ever. Sure it has flaws but it's evolving product so things are going to improve over time. BTW there's nothing wrong with mod system but for example mod manager could have more user-friendly GUI (or should I say more non-nerd GUI).

Give it a rest for few months - that's my best advice for frustration like that.

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Really Nikos? I have used 1 install for the first few years and added Lite to last few years, multiple mods, no issues.

I'm not so sure Piloot, League's work a bit differently overall as in providing content before a server even gets fired up plus I reckon league servers with a strong interest in new members will try to minimize the trouble for visitors to join. Public leagues servers are likely to run vmod+1 track.
    Or, if possible, a public server profile (vmod+1) and then a closed server profile for championships (vmod+1 million), with an autoscheduler on the dedicated, admins only need 10 minutes per week/event to set everything up.
    So don't think any of the above is going to effect leagues. they will work with/around this and provide for their members anyways.

So the main issue would be public servers/drivers.

I'm not so sure I would agree with Jeremy though, well on one point that is, the fact that no matter how much arguments you have pro-vmods, it still means that if I want to join a server for an hour on 1 track that is currently loaded, I still might not join if the server demands me to install additional tracks. and defo if its about 15 tracks.
    So, its the admins fault, they will learn, so who cares, well you should, anything that stops people from using rf2 as they would want is an issue.

If LRP is in practise and about to quali/race, and I have LRP, I want to vmod to accept me. kick me out later, fine. but at least gimmi LRP.
    That way I can also ignore admins/leagues whom have 50 tracks under their vmod, I had my fun anyways, on to the next server.
    Because the argument used, the need for 1car and 1 track to be able to do anything is invalid in my opinion if it also means +whatever else that's not going to be used in THIS session.

So it becomes a matter of able to join/race, but not allowed to anyways. and that's not going to help anyone. its hard to explain as well I think and from ISI's perspective the less they have to explain the better right?

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I started with 1 install too, when mods came (especially the full season ones) it went harder and harder to switch between them, only time I was sure that I would have a safe working mod environment was when I went "1 mod 1 Lite instalation"

13. MJP

MJP Registered

You can sort of do that now, probably not as comprehensive as you'd like but the Name\Version\Type\Installed columns are clickable and orderable.

14. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Well, its just an easy fix to be able to do all this.

So they should! ;P

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I thought that's what they are doing? I think that is the whole point of separate components, so that there is no connection anymore between car and track, and therefore no need to download vmods or rfmods anymore, and therefore as long as you have the cars and track currently being used, then you could join the server?????......

Am I wrong??

16. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I think they won't release rfmods themselves anymore, and if they will I hope they wait for a package to be completely finalized (so the content is ready, bugfree, ... ) so they can still release sort of championships like a GT1 serie etc.

17. Acestumacher

Acestumacher Registered

Give us the great graphics, the great special effects, the new look is great too! ISI release your work as you see fit, the builds as you want, but give us modders what we are used too, it wasnt broke so no need to fix, if joe public wants to join my server for a race, and is depserate enough to join, he,ll go and download the track I,m running or the mod I,m running what ever version, google is our friend!!!

18. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

What is it with these people? Why do ANY of the above, when GETMOD works fine? What - simracing doesn't involve port forwarding? BOLLOCKS. It does so. It also involves understanding the OS and computer you are using.

Does OP have a complete logic circuit failure? How come I have no problems? Am I magic?

It is SIMPLE.

I am actually laughing right now. OP's are always so ANGRY without realizing it IS YOUR OWN FAULT somehow. This is NOT rF1 - it is rF2. Stop pining for the "old times" and learn the system. I can join any game that I have the content and password for, anywhere. Doesn't matter what track or car or mod they have.

Get it? I CAN. That means you can too.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  19. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Dno maybe you only installed the components on the new build, maybe u just pressed installed and hoped for the best.

20. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

This needs to be summarized and stickied for all the angry teens.