It’s been years

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joeynuggetz, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Joeynuggetz

Joeynuggetz Registered

Decided to get rF2 transferred over to steam and decided to give it a go after a long break. Two main sims I run with some regularity are LFS and AC.

Back in the day there was a lot of things one had to do to tweak Rfactor to get it setup and now that it’s behind steam I’ve basically gave some of the pre-installed vehicles and tracks a go but I feel like I might be missing something from a FF and setup perspective. On most cars the feeling I get is that the amount of steering lock is very little and as a result small amounts of wheel input cause the tires to start scrubbing. Are there any setups that are better than stock for starters and perhaps any recommendation for tuning FF? Granted my wheel is old (g25) and I don’t know how much better a modern wheel will be. I did see someone ranting on YouTube about how his direct drive wheel was giving him orgasms lol. Before I buy a new wheel I wanna see what I can squeeze out of the one I have. They also stated that with a good wheel it basically snaps and corrects itself. I’m sure there’s a technical term for this. I get this in LFS where I oversteer out of a turn and let the wheel slide and catch it at the right point and bam the car is under control. What is this called and how do I get this in rfactor2

Also which cars/tracks do you all recommend for the best FFb experience. I still have to figure out how to get mods into the steam version.

2. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

ALL the ISI and S397 car content (only the kodi seems to be less good.)

That include the karts / van / quad etc.

Buy the S397 GT3 pack + S397 FE, not very expensive.

For the tracks it is subjective : nordschliefe and targa florio are my favorite. But there are many good tracks on RF2.

3. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Welcome! It may help us to help you, if you can describe what you like driving. If from LFS and AC I assume road cars, or at least tintops. It is worth fooling around with setings a little to get this sim work how you like. If you post more about your wheel and PC setup we can help more

Guimengo likes this.
  4. green serpent

green serpent Registered

The term you're referring to is called self aligning torque and it is a result of the amount of caster in the suspension geometry. If you want more self aligning torque, increase the caster, if you want less, decrease the caster. It is possible IRL and also in rF2 to have caster that is getting close to 0° and thus creates a neutral or even negative aligning torque, which makes a car harder to control.

One of the issues with the G25 and G27 is that they aren't very fast. This means that the physics of the sim might be telling the wheel to move at a very high speed (i.e in the case of oversteer), but mechanically the wheel is simply not capable of matching that speed, so there is a discrepancy between what the sim wants the wheel to do and whats actually happening. I find you can overcome this with practice - I usually 'beat' the SAT with the G27... i.e I counter steer Faster than the ffb motors, whereas with the Thrustmaster T300RS it was pretty much right. I assume with a direct drive wheel the SAT would be 1:1 with what the sim is outputting.

5. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

You just need to play with steering lock settings and steering wheel settings in game. Find and set comfortable steering wheel range in controller settings in game and steering lock in car setup. And my advice is just turn off "Vehicle set" option in controller settings and make steering wheel range you want.

6. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

Not sure if this is relevant with that wheel but with my G920 I have to make sure the Steering in the Logitech Profiler matches the Steering in the Car in rF2. So I have to select the car, check the Options for the Steering then exit rF2 and adjust the profile and load again. eg for the new Callaway Corv its 540 degrees. I'm always forgetting to change to 400 degrees when I jump into the AMG. Drives me nuts! :)

7. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Also I know exactly what you are talking about with the whole scrubbing thing... basically my take on it is that rF2 is very sensitive to the direction that the tyres are pointing - i.e you REALLY need to be pointing the tyres in the direction of travel (or the direction that the inertia of the car wants to take you), and not deviate too much (I know that this sounds self evident, but I feel with other sims there is more tolerance in the amount of slip angle the front tyres can have before losing grip and scrubbing). I am always thinking in my mind when I am driving "are my front tyres pointing very close to the direction I want to travel" (again I realize that this sounds extremely obvious but I find that it really helps).

Also, some things to try which you've probably seen before if you've read much on the forums (sorry if I'm stating obvious things):
    Get the track properly 'rubbered in' (eg. add a few AIs and enable time acceleration for 50 laps or something like that), warm up the tyres thoroughly over the first few laps before pushing, be extremely smooth with all inputs and feel how braking/lifting off throttle/accelerating can affect the trajectory of the car. Turn the wheel in small increments and let the car settle in, before then turning it a bit more etc until you find a point where it seems like the front tyres are at their optimum slip angle.

As far as setup goes you can try these things if you want:
    Increasing the steering lock of the wheel (i.e 900° instead of 540° in the setting menu), and decrease the steering lock of the actual car in the setup menu (i.e 25° to 20°).
    Reduce front camber to 2.5° or there about.
    Increase caster to 7+ or higher degrees (increasing caster causes less responsiveness in the steering afaik)
    Soften the spring rate/dampers/ARB/ lower tyre pressures to try and make the car more pliable and less stiff.
    Try practicing in a road car such as the standard NSX were the tyres can tolerate higher front slip angles and doesn't feel as twitchy as a racing car.

Finally, just practice a lot and you'll eventually find a car you like, and you'll get a feel for it, and you'll realize what the fuss is about. Then if you're anything like me you'll eventually make your way through all the cars and realize that they're all actually pretty damn good and why self confessed fanboys like myself spend so much time advocating for rF2 lol.