ISI Track Team Tweets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miro, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Domi

Domi Registered

ISI's rubber preset are only for ideal racing line afaik, not for whole surface. What you mention about doing it in devmode is what we have done in FSR this season, but for practical purposes is way too messy for the average user, when it could be simply an option through the UI. And a second problem is that if you don't edit the racegroove texture, visually looks crap; 30% isnt enough, even with 50% was totally impossible to make outside attempts in FISI mod, my guess is that it should be at 75-80% at least, for a normal track.

About your last comment, does that include last generation of ISI's GT's, or mainly the road cars?

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Sure they paint them...but not in between morning practice or a lower-level race and 2 pm start time.

So if you want to simulate what the track looks like for 1% of the time people are using it, fresh painted look is perfect. If you want to simulate what it looks like 99% of the time, the Atlanta examples above are great. And it still rubbers-in with use dynamically in rF2, so I have no idea why this isn't the obvious choice?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014
  3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

a possible reason is ive noticed when I add real road settings to rumbles so that they rubber up FPS takes a pretty huge hit

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Uh? Realroad is always on both graphically and physically, there is no setting to turn it on/off.

Personally I think rubbered (as part of texture) rumble strips just look more realistic, the dynamic realroad in rF2 can't achieve the same sort of detail at moment.

5. PMC

PMC Registered

The reason it's not an obvious choice is because its totally up to individual opinion and subjective . An example would be a couple of images Tosch put in another thread, one with a blue affect and one with a silver - golden , the opinions were split basically 50/50 to which looked correct and I also wondered why my choice wasn't the obvious one .

I'm not sure if there is a truly a correct view to this when trying to apply it to a game .

What I posted was just my opinion of what I thought would be correct , and no I didn't mean they got painted between each session but only fresh as you say for that 1% before the weekend starts then the rubber marks appear and gets moved on to the next session therefore having rubber , But I haven't really played with Real Road so my perception and opinion could be totally wrong :eek:

6. Domi

Domi Registered

Only the objects that have a specific naming use the realroad technology (RaceSurface_xxx), so if modder decides to not use that naming on curbs, they aren't affected by realroad.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'll just take two steps back for a moment, you said earlier:
    in response to stonec (one sentence taken out of context here):
    The point is this isn't a fault with rF2 as such; it's not forcing this to be the case. The ISI light rubber presets do only offer the racing line rubber without doing much/anything for the off-line tarmac, but any track can provide a number of presets that also give a much more even coverage. A new track, or even existing tracks, can be released with presets that provide a solution to this problem.

Concentrating on the second part (visuals are a separate matter), IMO if you need 75-80% rubber off the racing line to be any chance of making a pass it shows the rubber gain is too high. But you also need to consider marbles which could be playing a part (and may be building too quickly, or simply losing too much grip). Again rF2 already provides the mechanisms to address this.

So I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist or is easy for the end-user to fix; I'm just pointing out rF2 doesn't need fixing in this area, the content being used does. I'm aware this includes ISI content, and sometimes that's the major issue - modders tend to use ISI values as a base. If some third-party content comes out that addresses these issues and the community voices their approval, it seems a reasonable possibility ISI content would start to copy it instead...

The FISI specifically has a lower grip gain due to rubber. Whether it's enough is another matter... but mainly I was highlighting the role of content.

Even F1 doesn't always have a lower-level race before it. I get what you're saying, and yes, if you had to choose one or the other (as we do, really) the graphically rubbered kerbs will be appropriate nearly all the time. What I think you've missed is that this discussion has largely come about after you stated that a completely green/clean track never happens. You were defining 'green' as a track that has still had some running and wear and tear on it previously, rather than just saying that it's the norm. Specifically you said a track with some wear and tear is realistic, when obviously in real life sometimes a track isn't showing any wear and tear when cars begin running on it.

Ultimately the whole discussion is pointless and what they're doing makes the most sense anyway, but making blanket statements will tend to make people argue the point.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yep, we love to argue. Even when ISI finally does something with graphics that matches what all the acknowledged leaders in this area do.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

In some cases rf2's graphics are fantastic
    & totally acceptable by the latest up to date standards
    ( minus some if the effects in certain other dx11 titles which I just think are gimmicks anyhow etc)

( put the skip Barbers on like rock with HDR on -certain time of day settings)

So the software is totally capable of looking spectacular
    (Providing the pc spec its running on is decent)

It's the inconsistency between tracks ,
    Some things seem broken or not working right -in a lot cases rf2 doesn't seem "solid" as a package
    the awful mods out there -I can't decide if that's the fault of the software (hard to mod for or shaders stc keep changing etc?)

Be best if together with a new UI if all isi tracks could have a bit of work on them to make them all apear a little more consistent & fixes etc +a weather visual overall. ( even if a few minor moving drips in cockpit cam!)

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I wouldn't hold my breath for consistent quality mods.

The best we can hope for is some kind of clearinghouse to distinguish the "quality" mods from the others. But worst-case scenario is that you waste time installing and then uninstalling something, so it isn't the end of the world.

11. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

I meant when creating a track...when you add real road both physically and graphically to the rumbles FPS takes a big hit

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

ISI Track Team ‏@ISITrackTeam 4h:

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Interesting.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Made from test races, rather than our physics engineers test laps (which essentially creates a perfect racing line - because that is how he drives).

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

Should make for a bit more rubber off the main line too, diving into corners on the inside, etc.

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

ISI Track Team ‏@ISITrackTeam 46m ago

17. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

AKA Atlanta Motorsports Park :p

18. Minibull

Minibull Member

Ahaha, funnily enough that's what came to my mind too...XD

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Me too. :)