@isi,tim - Vehicle files, is this possible

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by RJames, Jun 2, 2015.

1. RJames

RJames Registered

Hi ISI/Tim,

I've been thinking long and hard about the situation we currently have with vehicle's and things like skin packs and why its not ideal and a possible solution.

Currently to release a skin set for any car/s we have to create it as a Update to a existing mod, this works fine UNTIL anyone wants to play online where we come across the issue of people without the update. It also creates the issue of having to uninstall the update to be able to run the normal car versions with anyone else. More importantly the issue comes up when the mod-creator releases a update then it opens the door to lot's of version numbers confusing everyone. The only alternative at this point is to release a completely rebuilt mod with all files but containing the new skins/teams.

I was taking a nosey around the car files today trying to understand and see where/if there was a possible solution and thought about this. Within each car.veh file we reference other files such as the .hdv / .gen / sounds / cams /upgrades etc. These in a single mod would obviously be within that car folder.

What my thinking is, Can we already or can it be looked at that we can reference files outside of that car folder? Is there a "shortcode" setup that can reference the vehicles folder for example \%vehdir%\ could point to the location of the installed vehicles. So in theory we could simple put something like "HDVehicle=\%vehdir%\carname\version\carname.hdv" or can we use absolute urls such as "HDVehicle=\..\..\carname\version\carname.hdv"

If that could work, then we could simply make a vehicle rfmod that is NOT a update of a existing mod, but would only work if the original content was installed. This would also allow drivers to user either versions without headache and could allow a whole and real eco system of skin sets to be easier usable long term.

Example:

My main mod: \installed\vehicles\mywonderfulcar -- Main mod
    My Skin mod: \installed\vehicles\mywonderfulskinmod -- however this only contains .veh files & skins. Within the .veh file the referencing to the other files are as the example above "HDVehicle=\..\..\mywonderfulcar\mywonderfulcar.hdv"

Regards

Rob

2. redapg

redapg Registered

I have also thought about that and have a way to only add a new mas file with the new vehicles, that are selectable in the menu, to an existing mod.
    The main problem, as you've said is, that you have to add all physics/3D/Sound/Talent....mas files of the original mod, to make a skinpack or just some additional cars work.
    It would be much easier if we had an selectable option in the component builder, let's call it "skinpack", where you can select your mas file with the new vehicles and refer to an already installed mod to use it's physics/3D/Sound/Talent....files.

My current method has some disadvantages like:

- No Installation as component --> no download from servers. It comes as zipped file.
    - It shows up in the Launcher as installed component but if you uninstall it in the launcher, it also removes mas-files of the basic mod. That comes because of it's structure.
    - I didn't test if it works online

So it has to be installed/uninstalled by the "good" old rF1 style: extract and delete By hand. :)

If this is an acceptable option for you and you want more information, i can describe the way i do it.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Could be an idea, but it sounds a bit dangerous with risks of modifying files online a.k.a. cheating. rF2 is at moment quite bulletproof in that regard, you can't edit a single byte of files inside rfmod or the checksum won't match and you won't be able to join online. Referencing new files will break this checksum check, so it's a bit more complicated. The risk here is that if we don't enforce the same files for everyone, someone is sooner or later able to modify something in harmful way.

4. redapg

redapg Registered

My method should meet the requirements. It comes with a mft file with the needed entries for all mas files.
    Unfortunately i have no access to our community-server for some reasons, that i have no chance to test it online.

I attach a very small version as an example for the ISI Brabham BT20 here.
    If one of you wants to try it out.

Extract the zip file into your rFactor2 installation folder. The "skinpack" (just 1 car), shows up as "Brabham / BT20 1966 Skinpack"
    in the menu and i have given the car another class, so if you want to drive it together with the original cars, you have to select them in the opponents section.

Download Brabham Skinpacktest

5. RJames

RJames Registered

Thanks for the replies.

redapg, it's a good temp solution for just the addition of skins but as it only contains a skin mas it does not have any new "Teams" as such of which are select-able within the game which is what i'd like to see achieved.

It would be great to have a solution whereby people can simply install a pack of which could expand apon the content they have with anything from Real life series to even league packs. (Would mean league managers would only need to create a skin/team pack rather than rebuilding the content, all without the messy upgrades method. If a skin/team mod pack was possible you could have multiple Series/Leagues etc content installed at once from one single mod.

For example for the EGT mod, a complete skin and team pack could be released for the WEC:
    [​IMG]

Stonec - Very good point, and one i'd completely overlooked. Maybe it's something that ISI could investigate, How about something like when the skin/mod pack is created in the mas2 program it could check the required package, note its checksum and be a requirement that's required on installation. Same goes when joining the server, the server checks the mod's (both) checksums. Again thinking aloud. However on the flipside, cheats are always going to cheat and find a way around something. (However thankfully my experience of seeing cheats in rf2 is minimal).

ISI do you have any input, even not regarding if this is possible but any ideas you may have of how we can achieve such a thing?

6. redapg

redapg Registered

Did you extract my example and did you open my mas file?
    It contains not just a skin, it also has a normal veh file, like all other cars of the mod have.
    So you can add everything you want, and have it selectable in the menu.
    Or do i have a misunderstanding here?

7. RJames

RJames Registered

Opps no, my mistake - I opened the rar and saw the mas file assuming it was the standard skin mas setup. Okay that's cool, I think i'll give it a try with online and see if any issues come up. For example if i pick a car/team the server does not have what sort of issues it has.

8. RJames

RJames Registered

Okay so to take your idea a little further, i've been playing around with creating a .exe file that can install the mas files to the right locations (with the full ability to uninstall also with no traces left behind).

I know not everyone trust's .exe (as they shouldn't from a unknown source). However i'm going to give it a whirl to test peoples feedback, will release both a .exe and source files (so people can install manually if chosen). So far the .exe route was nice and easy, point installation to required folder and boom the new teams and skins are there.

9. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
  10. Gijs van Elderen

Virtual Ride EGT Skinpack LM24H/WEC/TUSCC/Misc skin Pack: it works with V1.80 and v1.95

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uc6mypswcc0bld/urd skin pack.rar?dl=0
    Unpack and put the folders in the Userdata/player/settings folder.

If you want to have just one of the cars: you'll find it on this dropbox folder.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5lpi8eqfp671fg2/AABwnzpv7ddJ8ogjeoCOCj22a?dl=0
    Just download the .rcd file with its skin folder

The update package has some disadvantages: i needed to uninstall the skin pack to race online.
    With the virtual ride skin pack i can do both and use one the cars i like online.

The virtual ride skin pack is independant from version numbers, updates, league changes, etc...

I didn't change any AI talents from the virtual rides. Feel free to change the AI talents to spreat out the grid a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
  11. Gijs van Elderen

12. RJames

RJames Registered

Could you re-post the links as they do not work for me.

I'll checkout the virtual ride method, i've never used it before so don't know how limiting it is.

When going online are you able to use your new virtual team? does it display correctly in the server and others able to see it?

13. Gijs van Elderen

1 thing to keep in mind:

When you make a virtual ride: the "driver name" = car discription in the .veh file.

So don't fill in your name, but the car name. Like: #36 Clio or someting.

14. Gijs van Elderen

Yes, team name will be visible for others and in the results file.

It works with liveracers and simresults. ;)
    The "driver name" will show up as "car discription" in liveracers or simresults.
    IMO: for leagues: it best for the drivers to add their car number to the "driver name".
    Maybe it's less confusing if ISI changed "driver name" to "car discription" in the UI. That should be a quick fix.
    Because your drive name in the results.xml is the name you have.

I'll redo the links when i'm with a PC.

15. Gijs van Elderen

16. Gijs van Elderen

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That's what I do. I took your advice from the RD topic and when I update my pack I'll add the driver number before the name, so it matches up with the rest of the list and is more informative.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I haven't read all the replies in this thread but I just wanted to say that it isn't possible to reference files outside of a component. All the mas files actually extract into one folder (virtually) and the paths are basically ignored anyways. The paths are only really used in DevMode where the files are loose.

We really do need an easy way to add teams to a component though. It's one thing to need to repack a component to update the physics/tires/ect, but it should be needed to simply add/remove teams.

19. Gijs van Elderen

There is a easy way. ;) Repacking is not needed anymore to add cars. :)

- make a little .mas file from the Body.dds, plate.dds, helmet.dds, driver.dds, windows.dds, Gloves.dds ,... all extra.dds
    - Make a virtual ride from your ALT_CAR.mas

Virtual ride has a Team name and a Driver name ==> the driver name is the same as the "car description" in the .veh file.
    Like i've said above: Driver name is confusing. IMO it's better if ISI changed this to "Car description" in the UI.

Advantages of the virtual ride:
    - These are independent from version numbers. (it depends on a existing .veh file: if that doesn't change with a new repack the virtual ride is still usable)
    - You don't need them to be installed to go online. Or cause mismatches with packages.
    - Easy to add 1 or more cars without repacking stuff.
    - AI talents are adjustable to your liking. (offline mode)
    - You can simple delete the ugly skins. :p
    - transferable with the in-game custom skin sharing.

I've only 1 question remained unanswered: "Driver swaps". I don't know if it works with a virtual ride. I haven't tested it yet.
    This is essential for you, if you want these virtual rides for the VEC.

Incase of the VEC, and if you want to keep "control" over the skins used in the league.

- setup a server with custom skin transfer enabled.
    - Drivers can "submit" their virtual ride by entering the server.
    - The virtual ride will install on the server like at home. ==> in the UserData/player/settings folder of the server.
    - Check the skins.
    - Make a .rar file from these skins. ==> give a link to all participants.
    - Setup the "race" server without custom skin sharing enabled.

If clients don't have have all virtual rides installed: the original .veh car will show.

Actually it's back to the old day's :eek:: Manually adding cars like rF1, AC, GSCE.

Here is a virtual ride "league" skin pack from the ISI Clio's: Put them in your UserData/player/settings folder. So you can test some stuff if you want.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pq2s453nu17hfqs/ISI_Renault_ClioCup_2010.rar?dl=0

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I'm familiar with virtual rides but we definitely can't use skin xfer for it and like you, I really don't like the way they get listed in the tree view. Maybe ISI can fix this to just be what you would typically use as Description in the veh file.