Isi servers .. Finally well done

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Nov 7, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I did think about that one as well, and might do so. But you don't appear to be asking for it, you just appear to be upset and angry.

To be plainly honest, when I began racing sims, I used auto gears, I was too young to both understand or co-ordinate myself enough to shift manually. So I have nothing against it, but maybe I just enjoy herding too much, or something.

2. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

Just had 2 Touring races and qualified 3rd in the second (my second ever rFactor2 online experience!!111)

I am worried this may be addictive :(

3. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

As a simulation racer, I don't think it makes sense to have auto-shifting on cars that do not auto shift. For offline running, or private servers, sure people can run whatever they want. But it seems to me, that on official race servers, the aids should simulate driving the real car. Being a simulation and all.

: )

4. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Do you guys think it gives advantage if using auto shifting?

5. 88mphTim

lol, no. All those times you stay in a lower gear to keep the revs high, for better exits, to get the car to rotate, auto shifting won't provide that.

6. M4nkey

M4nkey Registered

What's the problem of letting people who use aids have the same fun on the same server as the ones who don't? As long as there is no unfair advantage, why bother? :D

7. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

I just want to chime in with a thank you, this is excellent work. Really appreciate the effort guys.

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

And to drive the point home as Tim stated, using auto-shift is actually a disadvantage so those doing so (for whatever their reasons) will not be doing themselves any favours if trying to drive very near the limit because of potential torque limitations when exiting corners.

There is nothing to be concerned about if others are using autoshift, they will be slower than if they drove with confidence in manual shift mode. So if someone beats you with autoshift, know that they would do so too if they were competent with it disabled.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  9. MJP

MJP Registered

It depends, like most stuff it's not black or white. Due to the way it's implemented I'd guess most would (should?) find it slower.

Trouble is quite a few people seem to pass their own experience off as fact, when they do something that results in them going faster/slower then it's the same for everyone. Someone mentioned TC earlier on, personally speaking I wouldn't want it on in something like the Megane as it gets in the way. Maybe if the Megane had more power (or less grip) I'd change my mind. I'm sure there'll be others out there who find it to be faster on, though they'll probably won't be topping the laptime sheets.

10. Oldie

Oldie Registered

You're right. Sorry for my words.

I doesn't use autoshift, but a friend in our league does. He has a good reason, and effectively he can almost entirely race on our server, cause most public server did not allow autoshift.
    He was glad to read about the isi server, and we met there just before i replied. Again, sorry for my hard words.

An official isi server should every person who paid for online racing allow to do it. No matter what other people may think about it.

Autoshift is slower as a matter of fact. I can say that he is still fast, but he was so much faster before he needs autoshift. Tim explained the main reason very well.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

And what about people dont have a shifter you are discriminating lol ;)

I like my idea always

2 versions of rF2 one Normal one Pro each with its own server

Pro version would require full manual setup because there would no aids whatsoever to argue or debate. How simple ?

Ahhh But that would mean everyone in there would have to drive like that every shift.

I see people call themselves Pros admit they do not double clutch every single shift how is that Pro ?
    It is no different to a rookie using more aids then a normal rookie. ? lol

Pro version would absolutely require it no matter, you want hardcore answer there it is.

But don't try to tell me just turning all aids off turns everyone in the room into Aryton Senna when you can
    sidestep full manual if you like ie: Pro ( no aids ) does not force you to use a clutch ... my way it would.

Simply turning off all aids don't make you a pro and is NOT the same thing as a proper no aids sim would be.

BTW it is not about grandstanding I myself would use the Normal version because I do not have a Pro setup.

So there lol

12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Just a general aside not related to any posts here. But it was mentioned that the same aids should be used as the real cars use and I hear that time Amd time again. But then every server uses the #1 time saving aid to make you faster in the autoclutch. Most of the cars in the game do not have an autoclutch. But the driveline model needs to make that next step.

13. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Whoo hoo it's been months since you banged that drum Durge :p

14. 88mphTim

Some of this reply isn't directed at your reply, but the topic. :)

Aside from the driver aids, there's no difference between what a 'rookie' might use, and a pro might use for driver training. Segmenting an existing product into others doesn't sound like it would work out for the best. With rF Pro it works because they're actually getting to delve into things more, and it's far more different than just driver aid settings. :)

I think the discrimination, or sometimes the lack of it, is a bit silly really. We want people to drive without aids as that is what is the most challenging, most rewarding and ultimately what feels the best in terms of driving experience, I think pandering to those who need them doesn't help them turn them off, and I also think being negative about those using them doesn't really encourage them to use a product at all. I think people who have a solid opinion either way need to count to 10 and forget about it. Let people learn, don't bash them for trying. :)

15. boxer

boxer Registered

Where/How can I find the server? I must be missing something?

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

hehehe

Well I would to have to have constructive criticism or cons why not :) ?

I saw the same general fault in sims since F1-2002 and the same discussions about aids then as today.

I will pose this

Would it make anymore sense to have your normal road or race car with aids switches in it you never use ? because that is what your car has now, even if you dont' look at them they are there. hehehe

lol

I really don't think people think logically about what I propose and dismiss it out of hand from the point of view I am
    somehow saying Pros are better which is not it at all, that somehow I want to banish rookies to the boon docks. lol

If a gamepadder with auto clutch and gears can beat good Pros ( I have seen it ) why not have a version of the sim would make that nigh impossible. :)

It could also have people progress to Pro mode which would be like a achievement in itself.

People would still be free to buy both versions so they could race with 2 pedal mates ISI could give a discount for buying both.

This would once and for all end the aids no aids debate, at least in the Pro version.

But Pros would have their Pro sim it would be up to them to all drive heel and toe 24/7 or suffer.

Yes you can and you can drive all sims with 2 pedals amd wheel. ( oh dear how is that virtual realism immersion ) VRI lol ;)

See again it sounds like I having a go at rookies which is not it.....mmmmmm lol

Try to look at it from the opposite perspective you may grasp it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  17. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

Thumbs up for hosting the servers ISI, looking forward to getting online and trying to keep up with everyone here :D, thank you muchly.

18. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Definitely believe auto-shifting is slower.

Although there's more chance of a missed shift or a shift at a non-optimal rev range in manual, as mentioned above, the ability to down-change for more revs more than makes up for it. Also the ability to short-shift can add quite a lot to lap-time in some cases.

19. 88mphTim

And in the rain, autos would be a PITA really.

20. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I've noticed that when auto-shifting it sometimes downshifts in very bad situations. Many times I have just lost it because sudden downshift in middle of turn. Yes I've raced with autos, mainly with GT/F1 style cars which have gazillion gears with short ratios.
    Man, race car engineers need to make engines with more torque so you can get away with 4 gears at max. I am not a god damn mathematician behind a wheel.