Isi servers .. Finally well done

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Bart S

Bart S Member

This is a great step forward for building the community, I just want to say I joined, immediately had a race, had fun and the server was perfect.
    I found some familiar names straight away like Durge and Hedlund in there, then there where other drivers or new to me drivers that where really fast too and challenging to race that I never come across before.
    Before now most people resided in there own corners of rF2(servers) of choice like SR4L, ISR or USR but now ISI have public servers I can see myself venturing in there for a quick race or 2 just before joining my league server and I think many others will do exactly the same.

It would be really cool if we could just highlight a server without joining so we could see whos in there, what times are being posted, how much time is left in session or number of laps in race and also lobby chat of server.

Edit: basically the same function above within MP server list lol I just looked at it

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You can do that right here, out of sim. Just move your mouse over the servers at the top of the forum (unless you disabled them showing, edit your settings). You see a quick list of who is online right now, and what the fast laps are.

I've been considering (perhaps temporarily) bringing a chat function to the forum main page, so you guys effectively have a lobby here, or perhaps on the rf2mm page.

3. 88mphTim

Should be. The only requirement is to put the same 'key' into the plugin and install that on your dedi server

4. Bart S

Bart S Member

Sounds good time, the more interactivity you can introduce I can only see more popularity and success.

I had an idea just after you left server yesturday Tim, could we have a lobby feature to vote on reseting server rubber or something along them lines, then we could keep the rubber for next session or start fresh if all desire. Or perhaps a way to select what grade of rubber is layed down at the start of a new session, perhaps it could be a drop down in the vote menu like "start new session with grade A rubber".

I know this might mess with lap records but your not always going to be getting people that want to set lap times, most just want to race and sometimes a green track may be more fun. Also now I think of it maybe an option for selecting a preset weather condition.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yes his is a great new feature, good idea

I don't use any aids ( apart from auto clutch ), does the traction control (allowed in the servers ) help people to go faster?
    Or is there a mild speed penalty to offset any advantage ( to make things fair ? )

Anyway I hope to give the servers a try when my hardware controls are sorted etc

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Traction control?? oh dear

Whether or not it actually helps people is an endless debate Adrian, too many different opinions to make up ones mind it seems :)

7. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

How do I make RF2 start instead of RF1? :p

8. Alden Edwards

Alden Edwards Registered

I'm encountering the same problem :/.

9. 88mphTim

I would call it debatable as to whether it's faster or not, especially on low, which is all that is allowed. But those who use it, probably spin out all the time, and on open servers that might not be too helpful. That was my decision and reasoning.

10. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

Don't worry, the FIA seem to think it's fine on the Red Bulls in F1 in real life, so it seems generally acceptable.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Tim maybe a idea

Put a message of the day in ISI rooms

" JOIN LIVERACERS to SEE YOUR RANKINGS ! " ...... that should grab their interest

Alot of peeps still missin' it

12. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

The Join button in LiveRacers doesn't work for rf2 yet.

13. Galaga

Galaga Banned

sorry not fully familiar will tool yet, but is there a way to see whether people are using aids?

14. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

This is correct. Our league has servers in multiple locations but with the same key. All are displayed on our league's LR page.

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Whilst a nice theory, it is still pure speculation.

Here's a counter theory:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24386679

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  16. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

:) back on topic, if I click join in any browser when looking at a server, it does nothing. How can I associate the rfactor url to open in rfactor2 when i click join? Any ideas?

17. 88mphTim

You can't at this time.

18. M4nkey

M4nkey Registered

The new servers really are a great thing, hope they will be well populated in the future :)

Another thing though: I think one of the bigger problems, if I look at this correctly, is that the vmods do have the ability to contain an URL to the mods included, but most people, who create them, don't really bother to put a link there or just don't have the bandwidth to support distributing the mods. Would it be possible in theory to add working URLs to the vmod, when it's being registered, that point to ISI's download servers containing the mods? I know there are some issues with that:
    1. All mods would have to be on the servers. The current 'Third Party Mods' section is pretty empty at the moment, there would have to be some more recognition for it. On the other hand there are people like Andy from rsrf.de who collect all the mods and upload them on their own server, getting into contact with him might be worth considering.
    2. Rights issues. I remember Spa having to be removed from the forums, and I guess it was because of rights issues. Therefore ISI might have problems hosting mods with material that would need licensing in a commercial environment. A third party hoster might be the solution here, too, though. I'm not very experienced on the legal front, so I'm not sure if this is possible.
    3. To be brutally honest, it's just an immense amount of work to do somthing like that and you probably can't be arsed ;D

The profit would be that people can just join any server with a registered vmod and get the mods downloaded, if they don't have them yet. Also you could make sure that it's all working yourself and wouldn't depend on vmod creators and modders to properly add a download source. The whole service would even be worth a bit more than the currently aimed for annual fee :D
    Maybe it's even sufficient to just find a third party, who hosts all mods and just gently point people towards it's site, when creating a vmod. As in "You seem to try making a vmod without download URLs, look at this site, lots of URLs here *winkwink*" :D

19. 88mphTim

Ok... I THINK everything is setup properly now.

Both the Special and GT servers should be on 35min races, others are lap based (Special will change according to what type of race it's running).

All servers should now start qual with light rubber, and build through qual and the race.

GT server is fixed, for those (like me) who couldn't join.

20. Oldie

Oldie Registered

Nevermind, same stupid aid Settings as on other servers. Many aids are allowd but of course there are at least 1 typical exceptions. Why is autoshift disallowed? imo isi should set a good example in place of following the herd instinct.