Isi servers .. Finally well done

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Nov 7, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I might try an F3 monaco server at some point. Think people could do it? ;)

2. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I do love that track... When I'm on pole :D

3. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Exactly. Every I've raced it online it's been a bloodbath...

4. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yes it is an excellent feature and the leaderboard stuff is great, perhaps this needs more marketing to let people now this feature is here. Thanks to all the guys i raced tonight on the Skippy server was good fun and some fast guys. I think it's the first time i have even run rF2 online since launch. Netcode seems sold enough, still a few floaty cars around but i enjoyed it loads. So much so that ran over 180 laps lol just in skippy.

Btw whatever has been done to track on the server please set as default in sim, it gives a much better impression of the physics in rF2. That national Skippy just is sublime, not sure if it's the change to T500 that has helped with rF2 or not or just the better grip on track but this car is fantastic fun, really. Other skip i'm not a fan of.

When you don't play rF2 for a while you forget how raw and engaging it can be. Loved visually how the track changed aswell. Still hate the grass physics mind.

5. 88mphTim

I wanted to have a couple of weeks of learning, I feel I've had that, so yeah I will be announcing that we have them once the next build or content is release (BTCC car could be any day, or weeks - we're waiting on permission to release, so a new build could come before it). The National car has a lot more grip anyway (still less than a lot of cars), other than that, it's actually exactly the same car. You might also be benefitting from the fact that the servers autosave and reload rubber, so you're experiencing the grip that other sims will give you all the time.

Good to see you around and having fun. :)

6. sg333

sg333 Registered

Massive +1 on this. Grass is not made out of ice.

7. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yes i played for a good 4 or so hours at a guess last night on that server and honestly every mistake i pretty much made was down to me over driving and i knew why it had happened. But there was that one or two times still where i had that wtf moment and that was in a race where i went slightly wide and put a tyre on the grass, instantly i was facing the other way, just felt unsavable and felt like a passenger again.

But as said, the reloading rubber is huge for rF2 if you want to keep people coming back. It made a huge difference for me personally and my perception of the skippy. Green track i find hugely frustrating that 9 times out of 10 i switch off rF2 because of it. This kept me there doing lap after lap last night.

Yes that leaderboard stuff gives rF2 an almost iRacing like appeal. Once it matures it could be great to have, would be great to be able to join a server through the browser like iRacing in time. Leaderboards and having visible times to attack always makes racing more appealing for me. You think you are on the limit of a car until you see others times and then realise there is more to find and this is where good physics shine when you are really attacking.

And yes slicks on skippy is huge in terms of feel for me, car is fantastic. Love how you can gather back tank slappers. Car is great under heavy braking aswell.

8. sg333

sg333 Registered

I really want to see the multiplayer UI get an overhaul. Chat for example, on a 1080P screen, the text is a terrible font, wasted space, short sentences going onto multiple lines..etc. Too many colours. iRacings MP is good - text is small but readable, chat nicely laid out, good use of space etc. There's no need for comically large text and buttons.

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

But when you have hot slick tires on grass it might as well be.

10. 88mphTim

Ask Alex Premat about that.

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Indeed, and to top that off; the preview window. its much better in rf1 imo as you don't really need to go full screen to use it. perfect for admins, stewards, video editors and what not.
    in rf2 its just too small so not practical in its default size and wanting to use preview you always have to go full screen. pretty annoying tbh.

Would love to see it resized a tad so it actually becomes something we can use for whatever.
    Or let us drag individual windows to decide the sizes ourselves?

12. sg333

sg333 Registered

Not really apples-to-apples :p

Just running wide or dropping a wheel on the other side of a kerb shouldnt result in looping the car around.

Also, Premat just isnt very good.

13. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Having a terrible time trying to get on the Historics server today for some reason. I see there is 22 online but log on and can see 3 cars - server frozen mebbe - aaaaaaand server browser says its gone now.

Aaaanyway. People complaining about both the handling of the cars - and the relative iceyness of the grass - have no basis for their complaints. That is - unless you HAVE driven a Brabham BT20 at 250+kmh - under full throttle, in a turn and then transitioned to grass.

Because the only grass most of us have transitioned is at home.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

Don't know the amount of times I have run wide at Curva Grande and kept my boot into it.

It is very susceptable to antics like hack-saw at the wheel or punch the throttle.

I can pull onto grass at 160mph in BT20 and pull it up gently ok. If anything it should be harder ie: little bumps and jags to pitch car.

Can't say I have ever had it just snap on me last 2 weeks ( if you talking about Monza ) unless I had gone locked brakes or too much power, etc.

I was always starting to cross it up and trying to save it so I would not say it was sudden persay.

The response you get through the wheel comes in time...... better then anything I ever driven.

The place I do see that happen is Spa ripple strips they can snap you good and proper hehehe
    But even then in those milliseconds you can sometimes feel it coming.

15. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Tim is it possible like in rF1 to make quitting quicker on track? I don't like the way you have to stop the car on track first to return to garage, it takes too long. Not sure if it's just me but i have messed peoples laps up behind me because of this and also had laps of my own ruined due to it. Can it not be made so when you hit escape it's instant.

This weeks servers are quite different for sure. Skippy feels so sluggish at Mores, just can't let her go. Characteristics of car are so different here to LRP.

Skippy IMO is one of the best sims cars out there right now, certainly rF2's best and my personal favourite sim car right now alongside GSC2013's F3. LRP due to higher speeds skip moves around and just is lots of fun with micro corrections. Mores though, car just feels sloppy and the lift off oversteer is savage in the last section, different type of fun to LRP. Momentum is big for both tracks but even more vital for Mores due to lower speeds. It's what i love about rF2 though is the way the cars all feel different on different tracks. You have to adjust driving style to suit. Will use this server alot this week i think. The main thing with this car though is I understand what it's doing, which means i can attack in it, great tactile FFB.

Howston on the other hand just feels weird as hell and offers no confidence whatsoever to me in feel. Braking is really odd, i tried a few laps yesterday and just can't get it feeling good and have no confidence in it at all. Feels like you are racing a boat on stormy waters. I loved this car on release but with Monza it's weird. Maybe i should put more laps in but didn't enjoy the feel yesterday, braking is a lottery.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2013
  16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Agreed, the UI throughout would look much better simpler & more high res ( smaller text ) cleaner & less complicated

It has always looked toyish & dated to me, it dosnt give the title a good image

17. rer8

rer8 Registered

Tim & ISI Team. I am really enjoying the game more every day. The Howstons, and other Historic cars are a lot of fun to drive, and the servers are providing a central point for a lot of good driving experience for all of us. Thanks very much and Happy Thanksgiving. (and yes, I agree with Adrianstealth)

18. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

I couldn't disagree more regarding the grass. Anyone who races me on a regular basis knows that I have a tendency to clip the grass and dirt just off-track quite often. I do it more than I would in a real car because there's no risk of damaging a tire or picking up debris. Want me to abuse it even more? Make it easier.

Here's an even better story - In the Brabham on Monza a couple of weeks ago (ISI server) I was going all out trying to pass for 3rd, I believe it was, through Curva Grande. Then round the left hander just before the first Lesmo I ran wide on exit and put most of the car on the grass. I was now next to the car I'd been trying to pass and thinking what an idiot I am because there's just no way I don't end up spearing the side of his car once we reach the corner. The left side tires were just barely on track but kept going back and forth, grass to track, as I tried desperately to slow it down. And then somehow I ended up down at entry speed, moved back onto the track and went round with no problem.

Now how is that ice, exactly?

Edit: And no, no ABS.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2013
  19. 88mphTim

I think grip will always be an issue for simracers. I'm beginning to lose abilities to counter, it's just getting a bit old... lol This week, a guy with experience in high performance cars wiped out, hit a tree and died along with his passenger on a normal dusty street similar to our green or lightly rubbered surfaces. So few have any relevant experience that this is just an extension of PC vs Mac, AC vs rF2, XBOX vs PS, to grip vs ice.

20. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

No offense but that's just a stupid thing to say, for all you know he never drove in that particular neighbourhood before and got suprised by a sudden turn or a huge bump. You can't draw that conclusion without knowing what happened.
    Or never drove a Porsche GT, which is known to be an easy car to crash, and got suprised by the handling which is probably quite different to a Pirelli WC Mustang...