ISI, Please make a deal with Kunos...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Can't delete from wish lists, I wanted it here instead. Afraid Tim doesn't look at wish lists :p

One thing rf2 is REALLY missing is an accurate Nordschliefe. The current one LOOKS good, but that's it. It's not accurate at all and doesn't create an authentic experience. I have seen it before, for instance, the Historic GT (GTL cars) mod for rf1(I think?) You had to prove you had GTL installed in order to install it. Couldn't a similar arrangement be made with Kunos and their Nordschliefe? The Kunos Nordschliefe is MILES ahead of ours in looks and accuracy (down to every little curb) and I would near about give an arm (not really lol) to have it in RF2.

Sure it could still be pirated, but it already is I'm pretty sure. There's ALWAYS a way around this type of thing, but this would give us the opportunity to LEGALLY use Kunos' Nordschliefe on rf2.

The way I see it, both companies would probably gain some profit from a deal like this. A good nords in rf2 would attract more interest to our sim, and harcore rf2 freaks like me would probably buy AC just to have their nords in rf2 (I would if I didn't already have it :p). I don't see why they would reject something like this.

PLEASE!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
  2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

If ISI wanted to offer Nords to rF2-customers, they would have done so already I think. They wouldn't even have to go to Kunos to get a mesh... rFPro offers a lasered Nordschleife.

I wouldn't hold my breath...

3. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Nords. Yes! What a brilliant, original idea 9_9

4. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Lol I didn't mean to have the light bulb icon. Oops.

5. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

rFpro has nothing to do with ISI actually. Different people. At least that's what I was told...

6. stonec

stonec Registered

How would Kunos gain any profit from handing out their track to a competitor? It probably cost them tens of thousands euro to license. rF2 userbase is smaller than AC, there is nothing they would gain from doing this.

7. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

You didn't read my post carefully enough. They wouldn't be "handing it out". In order to use AC Nords legally in rf2, you have to buy AC first, or already own it. People that want AC would buy AC (how it is now). People who want AC Nords in rF2 bad enough will also buy AC, even if they don't especially want AC. More sales.

Now you've got some people buying AC who wouldn't normally buy it. They wouldn't lose any of their users because of this, and might even gain some.

EDIT obviously you would buy AC with Dream Pack 1.

8. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

I must be one of the few sim drivers who doesn't care about the Green Hell that much. I don't hate it at all, but it's so long and tricky that getting the will up to race there when far more manageable, easier to learn tracks where you can schedule short races without having only one one or two laps that it gets much less use. Certainly not the kind of thing I'd imagine a whole lot of people paying $50+ for. Sure, it's exciting to drive but it's far from the only track that allows you to test the limits of a car and a good number of ISI cars aren't actually suited to it at all.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

This is something SimBin tried to do years ago with their Race07 Nords. They basically gave modders permission to convert Nords to other titles as long as some DVD check was included. It didn't work and afaik they eventually banned all modder conversions of their Nords. I don't see how ISI or anyone could control it, it sounds awfully complicated if not impossible to prevent someone from simply uploading the track elsewhere without DVD check.

Edit: story here http://www.virtualr.net/simbin-outlines-new-conversion-guidelines

We have had a long period where we condoned these mods when a DVD check was used, so people could be authenticated to owning the content. Sadly enough this method has been proven very easy to circumvent.

10. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Yes. I believe there is already an illegal conversion out there somewhere. There's no way to get around this. But there are still advantages to having it legally, such as including it in a league, and that rare little thing called ethics.

Anyway, what are they really losing by doing this, even if they did just give it away for free? If people want AC, they will buy AC, regardless of rf2 content.

Right?? And I'm not talking about a modded doing it, I'm talking about an official ISI "3PA" release that would require AC to be installed. Anything made of 1s and 0s can be pirated. There's (currently) no way to avoid that. So how do software companies make any profit at all? Anything you want there is most likely a torrent somewhere, so why pay for any kind of software? Because there is this little thing called ethics...

That's my point.

11. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

They'd lose sales. If the ring really is a selling point and it could be pirated to copies of a rival sim they'd lose sales, probably more than they'd make. Not to mention that the amount of work involved for such a small profit would make the whole project really dubious even if they did have *perfect* copy protection software.

12. bwana

bwana Registered

Cheaper for someone to buy an even better version than Kunos and buying it on Iracing. I'm with piggy the one we have is fine. If you have never driven it IRL then l don't see why it has to be 100% correct. But that's just me

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'll try to bypass the crazyness of the suggestion, or the legal aspects of acquiring someone elses scan data without paying for it (kind of like if Reiza sold someone else our source code).

We could do a deal with who they got their data from, which was still something not workable. I got a price and have an offer, but we're not going to take it.

YOU are welcome to do a deal with them if you like, Kickstarter campaign or something, then you can build it and sell it. :)

There's not much else to discuss here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.