ISI Planning to convert RF2 from DX9 to DX10 or DX11 like iRacing did?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcel van der Linden, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Just watching avatar on our 3d TV a few years ago had me feeling sick lol.
    I'll stick to my triples for racing, but given a chance, I would try vr in a store or something.

2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Rf2 has so much going for it but personally i don't think graphics quality is one of them. Out of what i would consider to be the top sims; RF2, AC, PC and R3E i would consider rf2 as having the weakest eye candy, as far as i am aware there is not even a chrome effect for bumpers, paintwork etc.

I believe rf2 has the best racing experience of all the sims but i am afraid that i have played very little of it in the last 12 months purely because the graphics are so 2005. IF i want that sort of graphics quality i would play rf1 or F1CE.

Obviously graphics arent the be all and end all but from my perspective they play a large part in pulling me back to play.

Lets face it if rf2 had the graphical qualities of AC or PC then what possible reason would there be to play another sim?

F1A

3. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Well of course that the prices are gonna go down, or keep at the same level but the quality and features are gonna be piling up. This is GEN1 of something new. But if you realize that your 1440p monitor that runs 90Hz and has close to none input lag would cost you ATLEAST 600 dollars (good luck it would be probably 800 or more im trying to be objective). And you get that in VR in small form factor with so many other features, 700 for VIVE is just very fair price. Yes your PC has to be able to run it, because a good rought estimation is if your PC can run 1440p RF2 at minimum 90 FPS at all times as that is the rought requirement (its a bit more than that but by very little) at the end of the day VR set is Independent displaying device that has loads of other fantastic features and its displaying performance is very high.

DD: how to see your switches? Here is what i think is gonna happen: VIVE already has few ways of "tracking your room" to know that there is an obsatcle here and there. It knows where your headset and controllers are within the room at all times. I can imagine that even the Mk 1 VIVE with some software updates could gain the ability for your to manualy add few points within the room that will be artificaly rendered in your VR, like button positions, and those points will probably become dynamic (they will flip and light up and whatever you add) now this is a pure specualtion, but the technology VIVE uses is ALREADY capable of that. so if customers will want this enough (which i assume they will as many are racing pCars and AC and love their VR) this feature will be added relatively soon, again pure speculation but VIVE is theoreticaly already capable of that

@Why F1 teams dont use VR: They use something far more realistic, a 180° Degree projection screen that take up whole room and are the best way how to simulate actual view

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yes :) F3 no problem.

Watch Lewis Hamilton he never stops fiddling with knobs and a lot of times dropping his head, obviously looking directly at the settings.
    Now if he can't do it without looking I do not know who can. lol ;)

If anything having to glance down adds a degree of difficulty.

Of course the other thing is the ambiance especially at night from a well lighted tri-screen cockpit and readouts.
    Pretty pointless once you have VR ;)

Has there been any clinical trials to extended period/long-term VR effects, more so on younger minds and eyes.

P.S.

I remember back in the old days of the "Brick" phones some farmers that spent 12 hours plus a day in a tractor cabin with the brick strapped to their waist reported sterile.

So imagine strapping one to your head. lol

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  5. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I think ULTRA -d technology is better to health. Con is that it is DX12 and expensive.

"Ultra-D is the only glasses-free 3D technology that delivers both a comfortable “real life” viewing experience and content conversion capability. Unlike other companies and technologies in the new glasses-free 3D space, Ultra-D doesn’t require the human eye to do all the work.

Ultra-D converts all content (even non-3D) in stunning detail, alleviating complaints of motion sickness, limited viewing angles and the need to be in a “sweet spot” to see images in 3D. And Ultra-D puts viewers in control, with the ability to adjust 3D “pop” and depth to their liking. A room full of people can simultaneously experience Ultra-D’s vibrant no-glasses-required 3D.

Any sense of “gimmicky” looking 3D is eliminated by use of Ultra-D’s patented hardware, middleware and sophisticated-software algorithms, which visually transport viewers of any device into an unrivaled, adjustable real-world 3D experience."

:)

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

From study above.
    I was thinking more along the lines of any waves emitted from the hardware. ;)

Like I said, it would be akin to doing a phone study and strapping them to their heads for 8 hours a day.

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I don't think a real life racer would (possibly) risk his career with VR, no team is going to ask them to use this. Better safe than sorry

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

You can't compare electromagnetic radiation of cell phones with VR HMD. cell phones do have enormous electromagnetic radiation, because they have to send data (wireless) long distance.
    cell phones have 100x more EMR than WLAN. VRs don't have to send data wireless long distance (they aren't even wireless).

btw, it's always a bit funny when my sister in law forbids eveybody to use WLAN in her house because of "waves" but she always has a cell phone next to her brain and phones all the time ;)

9. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Exactly, one of the many reasons.

Curved and Flexible displays are coming soon anyway.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Just tell her that the TV's and lights in her house are emitting "waves" much closer to the harzardous ionising-radiation spectrum than any wireless device she may have in her house. Closer than her microwave, wlan, mobile-phones, radio, etc.

...unless you think doing so will cause her to remove all the TV's and lights when you visit, then don't. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  11. stonec

stonec Registered

For F1 teams the button problem is real. For rF2, not so much. In rF2 you can't adjust things like mixture or differential actively. The wheel buttons I use when driving Formula ISI in rF2 are DRS, pit limiter, LCD mode, D-pad, brake bias toggle, request pit. That's 6 set of buttons and it's all it takes really to drive rF2.

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Fact is there is nothing wrong with being skeptical that VR is going to be a game changer and it will be the only way everybody plays games/sims etc. Why not wait and see instead of insulting everybody who questions whether VR is going to be the "only way to play"?

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Or debt. Please see other game studios for reference on how not to stay in business.

Being handed $30M by an investor might sound nice, until they want it back.

14. 88mphTim

He's allowed to. :)

15. 88mphTim

What makes you think that would have any effect on rFactor 2? You realize it's a different engine by enough now to be of little benefit, right? Plus, I've had literally no interest on that front. It has ONLY been (a handful of) commercial people wanting to impress guys off the street, and people who already own rF2 wanting us to support something, so not contributing to sales to cover it. Sorry, doesn't make sense right now, as I already said.

16. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Although i know what you mean .. but it sounds like:
    Thank you for your money and pointing the finger at us (already rF2 owners). Your avatar :rolleyes:

What i would say about VR: "never say, never..."

My opinion about DX11, DX12: Just the name sells. :) It's like an ISO certificate of a company or the amount of stars of restaurant or hotel. It doesn't change anything, Same product, same food, same bed, but it sells better.

About DX11: if i look at this video: Visually, I see absolutely no difference at all. It still makes use of normal maps, spec maps, and texture mixes like DX9. Shaders seem to work identical too. So i guess it's a direct port to DX11. But it seems to sells...

I'm 100% sure rF2 owners will make some nice video of rF2 in DX11 (DX12 for windows 10 users) with an Oculus rift during a 24h online race with rain on the windscreen and working wipers!

So we can contribute... :)

17. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I guess the point of this comparison is not the visual eyecandy but the performance between DX9 and DX11. I don't think this is a 1:1 porting btw. :)

18. 88mphTim

I did say that, and (here comes a finger point) it wasn't a good enough answer for people.

So now I'm going to say no, unless there is a change in something I already mentioned. Assume no now, instead of assume yes.

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

That would indeed be very lovely.
    There is every reason to be skeptical at this point.

But I guess if one has already dished out the cash for VR it's a different story..
    I'll never understand the pre-order mentality. :)

20. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Understood! Tough crowd. :)

Yes, i know. Such a performance boost is always welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.