ISI, Don't go to E3 Please. Do not support ESA (ie SOPA)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeosPantera, Jan 19, 2012.

1. greyfox485

greyfox485 Registered

If the bank knows that the money is coming from an illegal source and they say nothing to the authorities, then yes, legal action should be taken. I would say that at that point, the bank is aiding and embedding the criminals.

2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

all banks can assume a drug dealer or two are keeping their cash inside. They just want to do business with no regular visits from the police.

Good Comic. [​IMG]

Just think how many mods come with music.. All of those could be considered a good enough reason to attack the hosting company OUR rFACTOR MODS reside on?

3. greyfox485

greyfox485 Registered

You are correct, if SOPA goes through that will be the case. Maybe I can give a better example of what I'm trying to get at.

Think about all of those Cops episodes where they find weed in some guys car and he says "but it's not mine, a friend must have left it there", sorry bud, but you are still liable. Remember, possession is 9/10th of the law, even for electronic property. And plus, just to re-iterate my point, these guys KNEW they were hosting and willingly distributing illegal content. I just don't get how people can think this is the same thing as what SOPA is attacking. As the current laws are written, what these guys did is illegal.

If you are making an rFactor mod, you probably shouldn't be using copyrighted songs anyway. Now as far as car logos and such, as far as I know, that is still "OK" because you are not selling the mods. My understanding though, is that if SOPA and PIPA pass, then that may become a problem if the manufacturers have issues with it.

Ultimately though, I just don't think I'm really getting my point across. Maybe everyone needs to look at the bigger picture and not just at the part that is going to negatively impact them. Yes, it sucks that all of the legit files were taken down as well, but the company as a whole got shut down, there is really no other way to do it.

And the point about a bank assuming that a drug dealer is keeping money in their bank is silly in my opinion. If the bank knows of a specific person that is engaged in illegal activity, then they not only have a moral obligation, but a civil obligation to report it to the authorities.

Anyways, this is really not the place to discuss this sort of thing, so I'll just end it here.

4. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

5. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

It is simply a numbers game.. NO hosting site can..

A) Keep track of what their users upload

B) Open zip or rar files to see what is in them (esp Pass-worded ones)

C) Remove every file someone complains about without proof of another's ownership. I am talking the report button not Legal papers.

D) Speedily remove vast numbers of infringing files without a massive HUMAN workforce.

When your dealing with the sort of numbers mega-upload was it was an impossibility. I am sure any files they received OFFICIAL complaints about were removed, but the companies filing the complaints know it is going to be a loosing battle. No way any company can take the time to delete 22,000 copies of the same song or rar'ed up movie part file. So what do you do? Get sopa passed and remove any site you dislike. There you go.. Scary new technology gone and everyone can go back to making money without worry. Until the next site or the next tech breakthrough that has to be squashed because of it. Everybody loves Dropbox but I guarantee if sopa passes it is GONE. WAY too easy to exchange computer files on there.

That is what all this is really about. Just computer filetypes. 8gig MKV's and 3meg MP3's.. All bad for the economy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
  6. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

As someone who has worked to get unauthorized files removed: It takes 5 minutes to file a report, the file is hashed and all offending copies removed, the file and all copies are removed within minutes. It is the responsibility of the copyright holder to actively pursue protecting their work, remarkably easy to do so, but difficult to find all subtle variations of infringement. I don't see the need to take down entire sites because someone is too lazy to do the legwork.

7. SeKa

SeKa Registered

I think some have not understand, what SOPA/PIPA means. This vid may be a better illustration:

From my point of view, this is the next step of the fat industrialists, who also trying make it tasty for big brother. It´s a shame, it is not to tolerate. It´s the next sail around attempt for cashing the common property, and therefor to take a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Pls, don´t support this in any manner! The net is for every human, not only for politicians or companies!

8. Powderking

Powderking Registered

The comic says it all.
    Why has the whole world to suffer because some rich guys in one country (the land of the free) want to earn even more money?
    Or in other words: There will always be criminals as long as there are laws that forbid things.

Rapidshare is about the same as Megaupload. They're located in Switzerland and our government has investigated (last year I think) if they have to take action. In the end they did nothing. Their explanation: The telecom isn't responsible either for what their customers tell to each other while using their service.

And about the weed: Come on!