ISI Corvette C6R question/Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AceLain, Jul 8, 2014.

1. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Hi guys !

I hope you are all doing fine.

I am wondering if some of you would mind sharing your trick/technique for driving the ISI C6R without killing the tires after a short periods of time.

For what I have tried, it seems impossible to do a full fuel run with the same set of tires. Even when I tried to be not to agressive... maybe I am still to agressive...

What are your trick to do it ?

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Sliding too much, going too fast on entry, too much throttle a touch too early, driving the car unbalanced. Could be any or a combination of those. It's possible to double stint the vette tires, but it isn't easy.

3. AceLain

AceLain Registered

But does the doubles stint on the tires is done with a good latine or you are really slower ?

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Jamie is just slow. I hear he did a 24h event in 48hours....

j/k :)

Its a given that in order to preserve tires for a longer stint you need to slow down or go less mental. cannot keep up with guys on pitstop-tires.
    I'm not a GT expert but in the events we did it was a learning curve over open wheelers, its so much different in approach. and somehow (for me anyways) way much easier to overdrive and push too hard. and that will effect tires for sure.

5. Panigale

Panigale Banned

You can over drive into turns and burn up your tires, the C6R is easy to do this in. It still looks clean on replays but inside the cockpit it is a lot more busy than it should be.

I lose just a bit of time (works out to be a clear advantage by not having to pit as much assuming you run a reasonable race distance) but if you enter slower, (google "slow in fast out method" it really applies well to tin tops) you can get a lot more laps out of your tires. Less work for the driver, Less tire protest, fewer throttle blips (to get the rear to rotate) and pushing the steering wheel (constant quick adjustments).

Car setup and track matter. e.g. If you try to lap Sebring with low downforce, (Sebring is a high downforce track) you may slide more trying to get through those fast corners and thus not only be slower but increase tire wear. Setup aero correctly, i.e. balanced front to rear, and for the track in use and that will also help with tire wear. Avoid locking up on braking or you'll need to pit sooner as well.

FWIW - Learning to drive the C6R fast and consistent while saving the tires is a great joy in this sim. It is an endurance car so driving it at 99% with little to no mistakes pays off. Save 100% for qualifying.

6. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Really interesting.

How can you balance aero front/rear when the rear wing has about 35 different choice of positions, but the front only 2 ?

Thanks guys it is really interesting reading you all :)

7. Jamie Shorting

lol. :D

That's where the skill part comes in. Yes on your second stint you will go slower but how much? All depends on driver skill. I've seen some fast guys put up some good times on thin rubber, quite impressive. You can tell their car isn't quite behaving but they can still manage good times. They have the ability to adapt. IMO this is where rF2 really shines, the longer races really bring out the goodness of ISIs tire model.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This car really does reward good driving skills.
    It kills you if you don't drive it properly.
    If you learn to drive it balanced you will become a much better driver.

Back when ISI had a CR6/Silverstone server I ran hundreds of laps, figuring out how to get the most out of the car.
    Traction out of corners was not the biggest issue, it was avoiding excess wear on the fronts in the high speed corners.
    I figured it out eventually, by braking really hard and what seemed too early. I would then get a much better entry speed, which greatly improved front wear.

I learned so much from this car. One of the biggest eye openers concerning all my bad driving habits.

9. Jamie Shorting

I raced you online the other day. You're very hard to pass with nerves of steel!!

10. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Vette is a funny car to drive. If you treat it properly you can go almost forever with this car. It's all about finding a good rythm, if you found one then it should be fairly easy to manage those tyres. It's definitely a momentum type of car.

These are shots from one of my stints at Mid Ohio with Vette that I made some time ago, couple of months actually. I was training my consistancy. It was with all aids off and with track and maybe 20-30 laps worth of rubber before I started this stint:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm lacking the last pic which shows some more laps that I made before I ended this stint. I have to say that it ended only becasue I ran out of fuel, my tyres were still in good shape. Good enough to do another maybe 10 laps.

It's some sort of proof for AceLain that you CAN go entire stint with full fuel on 1 set of tyres. :) It's sort of encouragement to practice and try again.

11. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

You can view all your laps?

12. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

What do you mean?

13. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I didn't know you could view the session's lap times. I must have missed something.

14. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Right click on your name on the monitor ;)

15. AceLain

AceLain Registered

wow....

quite impressive...

You are right, I need more practice ;)

16. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

. ............................

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Haha, that was you in the Megane at Mid Ohio? ;)

18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

[​IMG]

lulz :D

19. Jamie Shorting

Indeed it was.