Is this out of beta now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Avigrace, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

You are right, the numbers are not there ala COD so the price has to be higher, I just think that it should have been higher than the base price if needed.

It's the first game I can name that I have played which has put an additional price on the multiplayer aspect without adding any premium in that area. I will buy in the future, I am sure but as others have said, since I bought it when it was first offered I don't feel like spending any more $$ on it until it has progressed further. In my case that has to be the MP experience which no doubt a lot of my issues are because of the rf2 ATI issues.

If some of these basic things are not solved then I will be hoping that AC becomes what I wanted rf2 to become.

2. wobbly

wobbly Registered

Mate, what would you say to my amended previous post above? Obviously it would mean that we end up paying for quality mods but both modders and ISI will make money. The modders that are not up to scratch can still make stuff and be listed on ISI Markey but will not be on the system for direct download and will not auto update etc.

This will, no doubt ruffle some feathers as consumer costs will go up but as long as they are not daft prices I would not mind this at all but mp needs to be free for good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  3. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

RF2 dont have the best graphics. RF2 is not the best optimized sim. RF2 has not the best looking UI and showroom and preety fancy screenshots. It dont even has autoradio and mouse steering (?!?!). BUT (theres allways a but), theres any sim out there that provide at least half of features RF2 provides? Simple answer NO.

With RF2, even at this "dont know what" stage, i can provide good and competitive championships. I can optimize the weather i want, drivers on my league can expect changes on road surface, they can expect rain, fog, day, night, etc. I can even make endurance races with driver swap and multi strategies for drivers. There´s another sim out there that can provide this to me (us)? If yes please point me one cause my Google page seems broken and only shows me outdated sims, sims where i can only race against a stupid clock or sims where i need to sell my real car to use it.....

If RF2 is done? I dont think so. Work on almost every areas is needed. Some areas a simple bug fixing solves the issue. Somethings such as the times being not alligned while on garage is something i have some difficulty to understand as this point.
    If theres any other out there in better conditions? No.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The driving UI I have no issue with, but I don't like our menus. Though, from the inside, I can appreciate the guys putting their time elsewhere. I am keen to see an updated UI, even if with the old tech. What we really need though, is newer tech for the UI - but that takes time, something many who would like a better UI aren't willing to feel OK with ISI spending the time required with. It's a conundrum. :)

5. 88mphTim

I'm not sure I understand. It is free if you purchase the lifetime option. If you're willing to pay more, as your post states, do that.

6. 88mphTim

Your last word usage there has earned you a ban. When/if you return please be aware that criticism of the product is accepted, what you did, is not.

7. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Literally the only issue I have with the UI is that it doesn't play well with triples, cuts the boxes in half in the lower corners. Of course, I could very well be doing it wrong lol

8. Miro

Miro Registered

The modders could pull something out for sure in the meantime whilst new tech is developed IMO. Most likely it would happen but currently it doesn't because of the support in the UI modding section. You see here an there somebody doing something, coming up with some question which are not answered and the folks just dissapper with their projects.

Honestly it would be a big help if some of the devs could take a look into the UI mod section sometimes. There are not many questions to answer but some of the answers would resolve show stoppers. As it is now it's terrible with the support there, or better said no support at all. Please Tim could you do something for it?

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Flight Gear had menu based on standard UI:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then you launched simulation:

[​IMG]

And you know what? Despite first impression, it was ok to work with. You didn't have to wait for it to load menu graphics or other fancy stuff and you could control it with keyboard, just like any other application.

For me the most important things about menu are it's functional aspects. Of course for some things you need graphical elements or even 3D preview (controller setup, car and skin selection, track selection), but it can be embedded in standard Windows UI. It doesn't have to be the other way around, when you develop UI system inside your game.

At least that's the theory :) In the end, customers will be asking for fancy menu anyway, with no regard for development cost or actual menu usability decrease :)

I usually want the menu to be simple and well structured, providing standard keyboard support as well. What I dislike the most in menus is when they're made so fancy, you need to look for things, before you learn how to use such menu.

I would be perfectly fine if rF2 had such standard windows UI, with actual work effort placed elsewhere. But what can you do in a world where people often judge by first impression and where "modern" is better than "good" :) I've seen people asking for nicer UI more often than asking for real road not working at accelerated rate (I'm asking this one a lot, as you have probably noticed).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  10. wobbly

wobbly Registered

Tim,

I was just trying to highlight a way you could keep the MP free but earn money. I will get my coat for trying to help :) How do I go from normal to lifetime then?

11. Traveller

Traveller Member

Follow the answer to the question, "Can I change from Standard to Lifetime after purchase?", in the rFactor2 FAQ. I did the upgrade just before Christmas. I included my rF2 order/license info in the PayPal payment message.

12. Galaga

Galaga Banned

UI is fine as it is. Definitely not worth any opportunity cost unless investment involves sufficient return in sales or likewise to recoup investment by providing funds to catch up on what was delayed, etc. My vote is leave it alone, though. Fine as is. People bellyaching about it are doing so out of princile or pride or worried about competition, etc. There is really no pragmatic benefit whatsoever to changing it unless it saves me time by being able to change things at track instead of reloading or other benefits.

13. wobbly

wobbly Registered

Traveller, much appreciated.

However, I'm obviously a tad thick as I can't find out how to do it. The FAQ states

Can I change from Standard to Lifetime after purchase?

Yes. As of November 20, 2013 the rates are:
    USD 52
    GBP 34
    EUR 38
    JPY 4000
    CAD 50
    AUD 50
    NZD 56
    These amounts can be sent to us via Paypal to paypal@rfactor.net.

Do I just e-mail support and send in the 34 GPB or is there an option in the game interface?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
  14. blanes

blanes Registered

Can someone pls explain this more in depth ? I am confused because I did not ever realise my RF2 would expire ! If I want to play it forever I send money to someone ??? sorry but I am out of touch with all this now :(

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

If you pay for the standard version, you get the sim and 1 years online use. After that, you must pay a small bit for online use for another year. You can still play single player all you want, forever. You can also still get all updates, just iirc not through the autoupdater.
    Pay lifetime licence, no need to pay anything else.

16. 88mphTim

See purchase page, this is the info that would have been in the forum thread here if you purchased around the date you registered. Lifetime would be the version to buy if you wanted to never pay again.
    http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rfactor2-purchase/

17. F1lover

F1lover Registered

I am confused. Sorry if this sounds strange. But the title Beta was removed around Christmas yes? If this is the case should not the clock start ticking for your yearly subscription at that time? Was it written anywhere that when you purchased this in the Beta stage that the time would start ticking then? It was my understanding that it would start once the tile went "gold"..

Appreciate any answer.

thanks.

18. crz

crz Registered

19. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I paid for the lifetime membership straight away without even trying it on my system.

Why? I've had so much enjoyment out of the incredibly long-lived rf1 and fully expect to get the same and more from rf2. ISI deserve every encouragement, in my book.

I have been frustrated with some of the update glitches so far - but the enjoyment I've had out of the Howstons, Brabham and so on makes up for it.

20. 88mphTim

Thanks :) Not everybody has the finances or that mentality though. But I am often the same way... Been playing Frontier Elite II since 1993, so no problem paying what some people felt was an extortionate amount to get the Elite Dangerous alpha level when I backed it. Felt it was money well spent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.