Is this out of beta now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Avigrace, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2help/

2. wobbly

wobbly Registered

Okay,

Included in online services are all multiplayer (including LAN) services, automatic updating of the software, and other online features we have planned for future development.

If you do not renew the Standard versions online services, your simulation will become an offline-only simulator, where you cannot race against other people and instead must race against the computer A.I. You will also have to manually locate, download and install updates to the software.

So my question still stands - What am I getting for my annual subscription?

Are you telling me that I'm paying just to have multiplayer mode enabled and for the game to auto update? If so that's a complete joke as that should be part and parcel of my original purchase.

I would just like to know what the "other things we have planned" are now that the game has been released. Its been a long time in beta so please ISI, let us know what I'm getting for our money as your current game is not finished and you haven't informed your supporters of what they are getting for their money.

Don't get me wrong, I've always been a loyal rfactor 1 & 2 fan but as I've just found out that the game has been released, in what I would call an early beta state, I feel you've only released the game to generate more income and get peoples clocks running so they have to pay their annual subscription.

With games like Assetto Corsa now available for early access its going to be hard for you guys to justify your running costs when AC looks more polished, has scanned tracks, is moddable, and has a nice sleek interface. All rFactor has going for it is the physics and a community that makes mods that far outdo your own teams efforts.

Vs

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

AC lacks AI and multiplayer though while rF2 already has all the features you need for racing. Granted, the progress on rFactor2 feels slow, but it doesn't have any gamebreaker bugs that would make me consider it as "early beta". In the current state it's more like a slowly evolving WIP. If the development on the core game would speed up a bit, I would in fact be very happy with it.

Regarding costs, you forgot to mention that AC will charge extra for yearly DLC packs and I would be very surprised if they came for 12$ each, more likely it will be in the range of 20-25€. rFactor2 essentially finances the continued development of content (tracks, cars, licensing, core) through the yearly multiplayer cost. It's not like the multiplayer services themselves would cost 12$ per member to maintain.

4. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Lol AC smoother with 1 car is on :)

5. sg333

sg333 Registered

I hope AC implement lawnmowers soon. The grass looks awful.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It depends how diferent people define the word "beta"

To me it means :

-Some features not implemented / unfinished / early stage
    -unoptimised
    -overall a beta would seem "unpolished"
    -not suitable for mainstream use or to be compared to other fully released titles

So to me rfactor 2 is clearly still in beta , I'm in hope that one day it will rise above beta level
    I can't seem to connect with ISI's view on this subject ( no offence )

Iracing is not a beta although it has on going updates & improvements it's current state is polished and seems complete

AC is clearly in beta, although it seems very polished & optimised there are clearly key features missing

Project cars is in beta (do they still call it beta? ) it's not even available to the public yet (think I'm correct in typing this)

GSC2013 not in beta -full completed & released
    (Although it may receive an update or two no doubt)

7. TJones

TJones Registered

@SG333
    :D Good one!

8. patsax95

patsax95 Registered

Exactly my thoughts

9. wobbly

wobbly Registered

Thanks mate, at last, a constructive reply. I've no problem with paying the annual fee, I just wanted to know exactly what I'm actually expected to pay for. If there is no DLC to pay for and the official cars and tracks are released to the community FREE then I am all for it.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

You thought rf2 content was paid dlc?

11. Miro

Miro Registered

Why people make this different to iRacing stays a mystery to me. And I guess that won't change ever.
    You've got a NTM5 on few cars out of how many. You've got new sounds on few cars out of how many. You've got nice GFX on few cars out of how many.
    Some tracks look much worse than others.
    The Star Mazda car for example looks like a Bobby Car from the cockpit, sounds like a synthetic bee and drives like a Bobby Car.

Regarding this line :" -Some features not implemented / unfinished / early stage"

Where is the weather, the real road counter part, driver swaps, night day racing, new UI and all that stuff? Does that not fit in the above quoted line? Where is all that planed stuff?
    People are just used to it on iRacing and accept it but can't accept it in rF2 although they already have tons of more simulated features in rF2.
    So how can that be? Measuring with two yardsticks maybe?

If you think rF2 is not ready to race I tell here now that's not the case. Get out, look for a league and you'll see it's just fine now and will just get better.
    There are a few things to workaround yes but so what, you can still race it. If you think rain is not good enough for you just don't use it, simple as that, you can't either in one of the other sims.

I am not defending rF2 here but people just do measure with two yardsticks here. I also want a faster progress in rF2 and rain finished, proper RR rate, and much more TBH but yeah, can't see a difference here.

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

People will never admit to having their opinions swayed by advertising. Microsoft spent 1.6 billion dollars on advertising in 2010. Why? Because it works.

13. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Tried the latest version of that other new "sim" yesterday, 'kin hideous. Tried Silverstone with the 2-7, the F40 and whatever formula open wheeler that is on there. 5th or 6th corner (right hander) can't remember but generally you are in low gear babying it around there, the slightest sniff of throttle early and you get oversteer to the point where you get spat off if you don't take quick action, I'm sure you all know it from the description. Anyway not one of those three cars could I make the back end come out; nail the throttle..... nothing, the whole thing just feels like driving miss daisy, slow, lethargic, unresponsive. Their idea of handling difference between cars is to make them behave more or less like a boat, swaying about but rarely braking traction. All the graphical quality in the world can't hide that it still handles for 5 year olds with an xbox controller, they are going after the money.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya mrslfral

I'm not comparing the different features of these piticular two titles ( rf2 & iracing )
    I'm simply evaluating the state and what point of development they are at.
    As per the question in the title of this thread.

If iracing never ever released another update again regardless of tire model numbers or features present (finished or unfinished ) in other titles , I still would call Iracing optimised & to a completed standard.

I've used Iracing as an example of comparing I could easily compare to another simulator or a game that isn't even driving based & regardless of its release date,

(But I only currently have 3 titles on my PC & they are all driving sims) so I'm not directly comparing rf2 to Iracing as a driving sim (physics/features etc) but simply comparing how complete & polished each title is (in its current state today )
    I don't feel that rfactor 2 is to a standard that can be called "out of beta"
    I've defined what I view as a beta in my last post.

I like rf2 though & rf1 & isi & the community here so please don't think I'm bashing etc

It's just my opinion that rf2 at this point feels incomplete & in much need of development and optimisation.
    (Which I believe is what is happening ....speed of progress is another subject )

Cheers

15. Miro

Miro Registered

Yeah agree there, optimization it needs a lot. Recent LD is a nice example here how it could be on all tracks.
    Development it needs too but as said the comparing titles need it as well.

I don't mind it if you bash it or whatever but I just disagreed with you on certain aspects lol. ;)

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You've just found out that rF2 isn't finished? It doesn't say this at the top of our purchase page and in our FAQ?
    I would also suggest reading the release notes of the rF1 patches between first release and 1255. As a loyal fan, it may help you to understand our release process for rF2 is similar, simply extended.

Nobody has to pay it and 'run their clock'. They have a choice based on what they want to do, or don't want to do. They also had an informed choice to make the purchase at all if they did the very basic amount of research, such as reading the important information at the top of the purchase page. Not the bottom, hidden away, right at the top. It's even numbered #1 so that it appears to be required as a part of the purchase.

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rfactor2-purchase/

Over the lifetime of the product, we feel it's going to be worth the lifetime amount, or more. Some people don't want to pay that much in a lump sum and made the choice to go with the lower initial amount. We tied multiplayer to a yearly fee to persuade those who want to use multiplayer, to push their amount paid up towards the lifetime amount, what our product may be worth after years of free cars, free tracks, and free added features not tied to any additional financing from users. It's that simple. We may tie other things to it that are developed in the future external to the sim driving experience, yes.

You are entitled to feel that way, and if you do want it included, buy lifetime, not standard.

It's not going to be finished until we stop working on it. With rF1 that was last updated in 2013. It went onto DVD in 2008 I believe. Clearly there isn't real understanding of how rF2 is going to develop. I can only suggest reading the information available to you on our site, and perhaps to ask for the opinions of others on them. I am not able to provide you with a list of proposed features, as some consider a reply on a forum to be a binding agreement of sorts. Plus, some are, at this point, ideas only.

I really don't see any relevance in your post to AC at all. They don't tell us how to price our product.

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Mrslfrsl -ok ;)

Tim -when I saw your post I though you were posting to tell me off lol

(I have no issue's with pricing at all especially considering the monies I've spent on another title....I've mentioned a few times in this read )

18. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

ISI are like: "Okay, here is what we have so far. We might or might not have something else in the future. We are not going to tell you exactly what or when. But you will get it for free."
    Kunos are like: "Hey, we will give you the ultimate race driving simulator! Here are some pictures of it so you can start watering your mouthes. Oh, and we will have a special surprise on Christmas - tada: We are working on a DLC and you will have to pay for it! Yes, we haven't finished the multiplayer part of the game yet but who cares long as he can have a DLC?! Isn't that awesome?!"

Well, let's stop it here as I am in the process of starting another AC vs rf2- rant. I'm just saying: the term "a complete joke" should be used in a different context...

19. wobbly

wobbly Registered

Tim, many thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated.

The AC reference was only made to show the comparison between the two products. However, I did state that RF has the best Physics and I didn't want to start a AC vs RF rant. I just wanted some hard facts which Tim has so kindly provided me with. Also, the term "Complete Joke" was referring to paying for an annual subscription for the multiplayer element of the game along with auto updates, as this should come, in my opinion, standard like other games. I wasn't calling RF2 a complete joke, not by any means.

@I3bullets : Okay, what are your opinions for paid for mods in rfactor 2 then? This is going to become more and more prevalent in the future.........is this not DLC (although not ISI produced) in a way? If you're not aware then please look HERE.

20. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I most likely won't be renewing my subscription for rF2 when it runs out. Sorry to say it but I don't see a bright future for this sim.

Assetto Corsa isn't perfect but at least it's on the path to becoming a well-rounded, modern product. I have more faith in Kunos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.