Is there way to check engine and brake wear?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Pauli Partanen, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Is there way to check engine and brake wear? During or after the race.

Would like to make some testing with different values and would be better if I dont have to guess good values :)

2. Mauro

Mauro Registered

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I believe trackmap plugin might be able to show the wear in percentage.

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

that engine lifetime variance lol :D

deceda likes this.
  5. Mauro

Mauro Registered

with carstats you can check also this:

[​IMG]

6. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Thanks mauro!
    Why lol?

Mauro likes this.
  7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Correct me if I'm wrong but considering the engine lifetime and the variance it means you can kill it in 14 minutes, tho considering the era the car comes from it was normal for them to have an engine only for the qualify so I guess it makes sense, still looked funny to me :)

ADSTA likes this.
  8. rigodon

rigodon Registered

I guess the answer for this question is "yes" but there's no way of getting realtime engine wear data, right?

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@rigodon Correct. But you can get a very good approximation by using accelerated time, time-scaled failures, Race session (not practice, it's more variable, at least in rF1 days so I wouldn't trust it), and set lifetime variance to 0 for your test. 5-10 laps is enough to smooth out your driving inconsistencies, you just need to drive it properly to normal shifting points etc and be a little careful on downshifts. Avoid pitting if your car heats up during pitstops, because a single time-accelerated pitstop is like spending 8 or 10 laps running around overheated when you expand it out to a normal race distance.

Start with a low lifetime to a) confirm your acceleration and damage settings are correct (you don't want to do 20 laps waiting for the engine to die, then realise you've left invulnerability on) and b) avoid doing heaps of long tests slowly bringing the lifetime down because you started too high. If you only manage half a lap on the first test at least you have some idea where you're at.

Obviously you need to set time acceleration according to your goal; if you want the car to last 80 laps with normal driving on average, 10x acceleration should last about 8 laps. If you want to include a pitstop probably aim for a few more laps so it doesn't skew the result too much, but you'd do that after you know you're already close with the overall lifetime.

Just be aware of engine warmup, you might want to wait for the engine to warm up a little first, time acceleration (Ctrl-X) takes care of that.

I say all this, but it isn't impossible to calculate theoretical wear pretty closely using the various vehicle and engine parameters that determine engine wear. That's perhaps the sort of data we should have access to, with the random variance left as the 'take your chances' factor, but it could be seen as cheating so I don't normally throw it out there.

10. rigodon

rigodon Registered

Well, I was thinking about something like a server plugin creating automated chat messages like: your engine has 75% life remaining, same for 50% or 25%. I don't think it's cheating. It's just simulating the radio messages like "please use a conservative engine map or otherwise we won't finish the race" that we see in many F1 races.

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I'm almost sure if they do that in F1 nowadays is more due to fuel limit than engine life time.

12. rigodon

rigodon Registered

Agreed, but even today, sometimes they see engine problems coming in the telemetry and they ask the driver to take care of the engine.

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yeah but that's on many sensors, nothing that says "life time is x%" .
    The game cant simulate these sensors (nor all the possible damages that can be done to an engine) at all I guess except for temperatures. And anyway most series do not allow a lot of live telemetry we have in game.

14. rigodon

rigodon Registered

Of course, engineers don't know engine life with 100% accuracy, but they have an estimation. For an F1 race, I don't think giving the driver % of lifetime info is cheating or out of scope.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@rigodon Sorry, I misunderstood because you posted in the modding section.

Series like F1 have a fair idea based on manufacturer engine testing and average lifetimes, so I think they keep some sort of track of how much running they do in different modes and aim for a specific total as the expected engine life. When an engine is considered past or very near its lifetime they use it for early practice sessions only. But not all those engines break, so there's definitely quite a degree of variability in it, and I personally wouldn't think they would place a (substantial) bet on being within 20 or even 30% every time. When they actually see a problem developing that's another matter, they're really seeing a failure already occurring and try to nurse it. As Will said we don't have that in rF2 (or any game, I would say).

And, because of the way engine wear is calculated in rF2, with exponential wear occurring in specific and short-lived moments (high revs, and/or high temperature) if you wanted to have some sort of estimator giving warnings you would need to do it client-side. It's certainly possible, as long as you have access to the mod files so you can use the right values. But if the engine wear parameters in rF2 ever change or get more complex you'd need to redo it.