Is there a way to run Triple Monitors without using Nividia Surround?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dracer40, Sep 14, 2018.

1. dracer40

dracer40 Registered

Hello All,

I really enjoy RF 2 and am having a blast on the new Sebring track. I just recently was finally able to set up 3 monitors for sim racing. I am using an Nividia GPU but if I try to use Surround it messes up iRacing and Assetto Corsa.

That is why I am trying to find a way to set up triple monitors in RF 2 without using surround. Is there anyway to do it?

Thank you

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

In rFactor 2\UserData, config_dx11.ini, you can set your resolution to whatever you want.
    Here's how I have mine:
    Code:
    //[[gMa1.002f (c)2016    ]] [[            ]]
    [COMPONENTS]
    LanguagesFile=ENGLISH.DIC
    ObjDetail=3
    TexDetail=2
    VideoGUID=00001B81-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    VideoDriver=0
    VideoMode=21
    VrSettings=0
    AggressiveThread=0
    EPostProcessingSettings=2
    VideoRefresh=0
    WindowedMode=1
    Borderless=0
    RunBenchmarks=0
    FSAA=34
    VSync=0
    UsePostFX=0
    ShaderLevel=0
    SubViews=2
    UseSubViewParams=1
    WorkaroundFlags=0
    ViewParams=(0.540, 0.340, 0.600, 15.000, 0.037) // screen width (m), screen height (m), eye distance (m), side angle (deg), bezel gap (m)
    LeftView=(0.540, 0.340, 0.600, 15.000, 0.037)
    RightView=(0.540, 0.340, 0.600, 15.000, 0.037)
    PreferredGPU=36247
    WidescreenUI=0
    WidescreenUIWidth=-1
    WidescreenHUD=1
    CustomVidRes=(5760, 1080)
    VRMirrorWindowVidRes=(1920, 1080)
    VRUIScale=(1.000, 1.000, 1.000)
    MinimumVidRes=(800, 600)
    MaximumVidRes=(99999, 99999)

[INSTALL]
    InstallFrom=
    InstallTo=

[AUTOLAUNCH]
    Mode=Off
    LaunchTime=600

[VERSION]
    Version=-1.000000

3. dracer40

dracer40 Registered

Coutie, Thank you so much!!! That works!

Can we also use the bezel correction, side angles and such to improve the images in the side monitors when setting up the 3 monitors this way?

4. Coutie

If you use multiview you can. Check the controls screen for the key combination to get the widget on screen.

5. Louis

Louis Registered

Could this improve fps performance? What is the advantage by not using nvidia surround?
    In my case, i always set nvidia surround with bezel correction to get the res i want to use in game but after doing that i change res to 1920x1080 for doing other stuff. In rf2 video settings i use the bezel corrected res that nvidia surround created so everytime i started the game, it "magically" goes to triple screen resolution i've created with nvidia surround

*because if i didnt use the bezel corrected resolution, and use standard triple screen resolution my print screens ingame is always cropped even adjusting using multiview tool

6. dracer40

dracer40 Registered

Coutie, Thanks again. I got multiview working, set all the dimensions and it works great now. Only 2 things left that concern me.
    1) I have no selection to choose my refresh rate.
    2) Just a bit inside the top left corner of the left monitor there is a small black box with 4 odd symbols in it. The box is kind of the shape of the box you normally see on the center monitor with the flag or red marks if you speed exiting pit or something like that.

If anyone has any ideas about these two things I would sure like to hear it as I think the triple screen image will be wonderful then.

Louis I have never used it in Surround, did not work for me so I do not know if there is any advantage FPS wise, but the way Coutie directed me to set it up is working well for me.

Louis likes this.
  7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

If you mean this
    TGM.JPG
    That is called the TGM . Not sure what it stands for, Tyre Grip Monitor???

You'll find the control for it here:
    tyres.JPG
    I have mine bound to Equal =
    So Ctrl + = brings up the triple screen adjuster and Alt + = brings up the TGM.
    If I remember there is one for grip and Alt + = again for temperature
    Use left Alt if the right one doesn't work.

I've never had a problem using Surround.
    My monitors only have a 6mm bezel so I don't use bezel correction just 5760x1080
    Side monitors are overlapping behind middle monitor.
    I don't recall changing games ever being a drama.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  8. dracer40

dracer40 Registered

Hello ADSTA, Thank you for that info. That is what I was seeing and I just had to click and clear it!

Now if I can just figure how to set the refresh rate everything will be good. It may be running at the default desktop refresh rate so it may already be correct, but it is not showing me any choices to select from so I am not sure.

What a great forum. It is so nice to get such friendly help so quickly. Thank you all and hope to see you in a MP race sometime.

ADSTA likes this.
  9. Coutie

I don't know how to change refresh rate without it changing the text file. You change it from the graphics setup tool, but it overwrites your config file.

10. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

There’s no reason why you can’t use nv surround in iracing, so maybe fix that rather than having to go through all this

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you're running in windowed mode (windowedmode=1 in the file Coutie posted above) it will use the desktop refresh rate.

12. dracer40

dracer40 Registered

Thanks Lazza, that is how I have it set up and all seems to be great now. Thanks again to all that helped. Really enjoying RF2 now.

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Sorry to dig up this old thread but im trying to run all Sims without surround , ive sorted a few but cant get ACC to work properly , it shows the image on the center and left screens but its just shifted across , so the right screen image is on the center screen and the right just shows the desktop . I have made a custom resolution and set that in game with windowed mode . I hope there is a solution that someone here has found .

14. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Do I get the impression ACC was on your mind when you typed "rF2"?

:rolleyes:
    Buy an AMD card.

I swear the wascally wabbit held a gun to my head and told me to write that.
    You know I would never write something so sarcastic. :D
    Turns out the gun was chocolate with a calibre 1.5 dairy milk glasses.

See jeddy, unhelpful as always.
    Happy holidays mate. :cool:

Badboy and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Cheers Mate .
    I don't know what i meant, but anyway i got ACC working but now rF2 isnt , lol
    I had to swap my main screen to the left one for ACC but it looks like rF2 want the center to be the main screen ! Crap , i may just have to go back to surround and just disable it when i want to play other type games that don't use the 3 screens .

As for AMD , you never know , if nVidia keep their current pricing and AMD can compete with higher than 2080Ti performance i may go AMD next :eek:

Happy Easter to you too mate , as for holidays , what are they :confused: I retired :p

16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I spent the day yesterday getting all Sims to run identically the same as if I have surrounded enabled while surrounded is most definitely not enabled.

It's actually quite simple.

On the left screen make a custom resolution the size of your screens (5760x1080 for me) and make that your main screen, start ACC, select triples, turn off full screen and enable triples. DONE!

All Sims work the same, only all the others want the center screen to be the main, so do the same thing but on the center screen, custom res, select center as main, run in Windowed mode.

Emery likes this.
  17. Emery

Emery Registered

Thanks for your efforts on this! I'm just now migrating to a new computer and think I'll try skipping nVidia Surround this time.

18. Emery

Emery Registered

Nope, couldn't get the custom resolution to work. Back to using Surround.

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I've since gone back to surround also , because it was a pain to switch from the center being main to the left but rF2 certainly did without issue so not sure why your system isn't doing it .