Is there a rF2 dedi server anti-cheat util or plugin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

With the racing season coming up with my league, I'm looing for some sort of anti-cheat plugin or utility. Is anything in development or available right now? I did a google search but there is nothing I could find.

2. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Probably you will get no help.
    Cheating in simracing is a taboo.
    Raised couple of times the urgent necessity of having something to prevent people having ilegal advantage but in every sim, in every place, people tend to avoid the problem.

From time to time some people work on plugins,etc, but simracing and this problem cant depend on people´s will and free time. Devs should take a major part in this. Of couse a cheater is allways a cheater and he will try to bypass all of his walls, but cleaning dust down the carpet is not what simracing developers should do.

PS- I will add the cut chicanes to the table asweel. League administration sometimes is painfull :cool:

3. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 isn't currently a very popular mainstream simulator, so in my experience there are little or no cheats available to use easily. People coding such tools rather work on a more popular simulator. In my league we caught cheaters every year with rF1, but none so far with rF2. Also the new packaging format has helped. I wouldn't worry about cheating too much for now.

4. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

5. rscsr

rscsr Registered

How have those rf1 cheaters cheated?

6. 64r

64r Registered

What defines cheating? Using the plugin there is no way to send control data to the sim (ie you can't override driver inputs), so I guess you are looking for cut track detection or something similar?

7. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

There were various cheats in rFactor 1, they were mostly called RAM Cheats.

They were able to keep the tires at the exact same tire pressure, or keep the fuel level at its lowest possible level without diminishing, etc.

There are tools used by certain leagues to catch these in rFactor 2 as well, but I will not name them here as they might be raided for info.

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It's a fantasy to believe people won't cheat. I believe 99% of sim racers don't and would never cheat, but in any competition people WILL cheat. It's just the way of the world. I'm not looking for a discussion on cheating, just tools to detect and ferret out cheaters (and hopefully it'll never happen, I'm wasting my time and it won't be needed).

Ho3r3 can you PM me any info? I know there are probably RAM cheats, as far as I can tell rF2 only does file checking- very rudimentary stuff. I posted a thread and asked specifically about rF2 cheat checking but ISI would not answer.

9. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Exactly the same percentage of simracers which actually bought rfactor 1.....All honest people. World is a f&%# place isnt it?
    Sorry if i "stole" the main subject......

10. Descoat

Descoat Registered

That ram cheats, have the same procedure in RF2. Anticheats needs to be made for every build so it´s tedious to update them with every build.
    I´m not a programmer but some of my community administrators, knows how to made them but don´t develop because every couple of months will have a new release of the rf2 software and all the work made is for nothing.

Solutions: Enjoy driving and forget what others make. Cheaters only want to win so give them what they want. One day they will be catched but will change the nikname... as allways.

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah its pretty much a no-go area if you want to have a life and have fun in simracing :)

And there is the risk of getting paranoid as well, once you go down that path there will be question marks all the time. sometimes we just don't understand how someone....and then 4 months later we progressed and are doing it ourselves :)

Besides, I bet there are loads of cheaters whom are still crap at simracing :p its not always the top 5 to look out for I bet.

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Rfactor2 is using random RAM allocation (it has some fancy technical term I don't recall), rfactor(1) didn't - this in combination with the new package system and very efficient checksum sysem makes a very good platform where cheating will be very hard to do.

This is why even mem-sniffing to show acurate engine health is not currently available in rf2 :)

13. MMartin

MMartin Registered

Any news about anti-cheat x rF2?

Thank you.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The above discussion pretty much sums it up. If ISI did a new build and said it had new anti-cheat code in it, someone would feel inspired to break it and release a tool. If someone creates a third party anticheat tool and it becomes widely used, then same again - someone will break it and release a tool.

If you're racing in public rooms, probably no one's cheating but you never know for sure. If they're a kid going 10 seconds a lap faster let them be booted and keep racing. If the guy you're having a battle with is cheating who cares - enjoy the battle.

If you're running a league and want to eliminate cheating, make everyone identifiable and make your own tools. Anyone you do catch won't come back because they can't hide behind a nickname.

Note: This goes for ALL games, not just rF2.

15. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Sorry but I have to disagree with your logics.

You are selling that cheaters do so just in order to break the anticheat systems. I guess that romantic view of is a bit old fashioned coming from the past where hackers would create virus or crack big companies security systems just for the prestige. Todays hackers and cheaters do so for their own benefit (money and winning) thanks to the Internet.

rF2 already has for sure things to avoid cheating like mas file and component signatures to guarantee that everybody uses the same content. It also prevents from activating the aids if they are not allowed in the server. For sure, some have been able to break them as the few public cases already reported show.

So where is that tool that you say cheaters will for sure create to break actual security? Is it so easy to create that cheaters are not sufficiently motivated to create it unless additional security is introduced?

I strongly advise to you to avoid locking your car or home in order to prevent motivating the burglars to break through. Installing alarms or other security measures is counterproductive since it motivates them even more reducing your security.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

And because you have seen one cheater(maybe) your logic makes no sense in thinking that there is some cheating problem. Like you say cheaters do it for money. Well how many people make money from winning races in rF2? You guys really need to stop taking this stuff so seriously. There isn't a Mercedes F1 contract waiting for you at the end of your virtual sim racing season.

What really are you guys expecting? Do you want ISI to layout there anti cheat code bit for bit? Maybe that will make you happy? lol. It's no wonder people complain there aren't enough online drivers when newcomers read these forums and get the impression everyone is racing with a ram hack.

17. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I meant hackers do for money and cheaters for winning. I should have written "respectively" but I thought it was clear enough. I guess not.

I don't expect anything. I do think cheaters are a minority. I just was replying to Lazza's argument which IMO is absurd.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You missed my point. A public anti cheat tool becomes a target. I didn't state the 'absurd' argument at all.

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

You wrote built in anticode. Nothing about a public anticheat tool that you are raising now.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You don't read well :eek: