Is the Multicore Processor Bug back?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by redapg, Dec 24, 2015.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

After a complete new Windows Install (due to a HD-Crash) and installing Build 1036, i had bad lags, which i never had before.
    I thought that it must be caused by the Windows Installation, Drivers, ...whatever and tested and tried everything with no success.
    Until i used the +Procmask command in the Launchers Command-Line again.
    And the lagging was gone.
    Unfortunately this command don't works for the DevMode and also editing the DevModes player.JSON Sim Processor Thresh entry, has no effect.
    So i always have to assign just 1 Core by using the Taskmanager, what is very pesky, especially if you have to enter/leave the DevMode a lot of times, while testing/changing things.
    I hope this Bug will be solved (again) with the next Build.

Here is a Video how it looks with all Cores in use (i use a Quad-Core Processor):

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Well, if you didn't have it before and now you do, so why do you think it's rFactor's fault? :)
    If you had an older build installed before, then install it now and check what happens.

btw. I have a dual core i3 and don't have any problems.
    A side note, you have Intel or AMD CPU? I'm asking, because I remember people having some issues with AMD multicore processors some time ago.

3. Skan

Skan Registered

Did You let windows finish ALL of its updates before You started doing other things?

4. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Guys
    redapg is one of the more knowledgeable peeps on here

5. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Have you tried changing the value of "Sim Processor Thresh" from "255" to "3" in the player.json to see if that helps?

6. redapg

redapg Registered

One of the first things that i did. Build 1008, that worked without any problems on my old Installation, lags now in the same way as shown in the Video.
    Yes is have an AMD CPU, but never had Problems like this before.

Yes, all ~300+. :)

Thank you. :)

Yes, that gets ignored in Single Player and also DevMode.

As already said, the only thing that helps is to use the +Procmask command for the Single Player and, for the DevMode to assign just 1 Core by using the Taskmanager.

And now i have another way:
    Juergen-BY did send me a Batchfile to start the Launcher with using just 1 Core and that has, to my astonishment, the effect that also the DevMode starts with using just 1 Core AND also the Single Player, when i start them in the Launcher.

Merry Christmas to all :)

7. Marek Lesniak

Well, then that should give you an idea, it's NOT rF2 but your OS, that is not OK, right? I mean, ISI didn't hack to your computer and changed your B1008 installer, so now you have a bug coded in it ;)

Then, obviously you are probably missing something after reinstalling the OS. I think, the issue I'm thinking about, was related to AMD drivers. Are you using the same drivers for everything like before?

8. redapg

redapg Registered

Thanks for replying LesiU.
    Let me say it in another way.

My last Windows (i'm talking about W7 btw), where everything runs without any Problems, was some Years old and i can tell you, that i e.g. deinstalled Windows-Updates that caused me some Problems or did some times change Drivers to older versions, because some Software didn't ran with newer drivers....

Now, i've made a complete new Installation of Windows, installed all offered Windows-Updates, as said before.
    Installed the latest Drivers, available for my Hardware...
    Short, i did everything what a normal PC-User would do.

And i can add that i never ever use things like overclocking or similar, what in my eyes is just Bu_ll_sh_it.

So here i am, fresh Windows, fresh rF2 Build 1036 and i have the shown Lags.
    I don't want to list here what i've tried to get rid of it. It was a lot.

The Fact is, that if i run rF2 with using just 1 Core, the Lagging is gone.
    And that's why i think that there must be something related to rF2 that causes my Problem.

And no, i don't think that ISI hacked my PC.
    Although i don't know which Background-action it's running when it's online. :D

And no, i'm no conspiracy theorist. :)

9. Marek Lesniak

B1008 you were using before the installation, was working without problems and now, with THE SAME B1008, on a fresh OS, you have those mentioned problems - how you can blame the sim then? :)
    And that's why I also mentioned about an issue , some AMD multicore CPU users were experiencing. They had to change some drivers (I think for CPU) in order to get rid of their issues.

I'm not saying, the sim might not have any flaws but also how it worked fine before? I think, AMD multicore CPU users could say what they did previously, to fix those old issues they were having.

Remember, the sim doesn't tell the CPU, how it must work. The sim sends requests, but it's the OS that is responsible to manage all of that and actually decide, how a CPU will be utilized.
    So no, forcing the sim to run on a one core to solve the problem doesn't say, that's 100% fault on the sim especially, when many other users don't experience this problem.
    Try with different CPU drivers from AMD. If you have some spare time, you could also try a few older builds to see, if at some point it worked better than it is now.

10. redapg

redapg Registered

We can discuss this the next few Years.
    Maybe i did solve a Problem with the AMD CPU/CPU-Driver or whatever may cause the Lags, at the old machine by accident.
    As said, i've made so many manipulations over the Years, that i can't remember what it was.

What simply makes me wonder is, that it don't works properly with a fresh Install of everything. That's all.
    And i don't want to repeat it again and again: i already did try a lot of things to solve it in another way than using just 1 Core.
    Maybe i just let out the one deciding possibility, who knows.
    But i'm really tired of trying things out, now.
    So far it works with the "1 Core" Solution.

I will wait how the next Build will behave.

11. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I'm on amd CPU (well apu actually) and amd graphics card, I recently upgraded with a clean fresh install of w10 64bit from w7. I took about a day updating windows and downloaded and installed all the latest drivers for everything. All I can say is on the latest build everything is super smooth, no lags or frame drops, running eyefinity on triples using the new crimson drivers. I hope you can resolve your issue, one other thing I can mention is all my w10 settings are default and I don't mess around over clocking etc.

12. redapg

redapg Registered

Same here. Default Windows (7) Installation, all Updates installed, no overclocking or similar b--sh-it. All said above.
    Wait, the only thing i do change ALWAYS, when doing a fresh Windows-Installation is, to set the Windows UAC to the lowest Level.

But i'm pretty sure that this won't cause any trouble.
    It will, on the contrary, avoid many Problems. ;)

......I'll wait for next Build...

13. Husky42

Husky42 Registered

Same problem. Its not your hardware or your fresh install. Guy saying it is related to your FRESH install is not very smart. If his install is fresh with all drivers updated then there should be ZERO issues.

I have the exact same problem and my system is not slow. I5 4.2 R9 390x2 HT Striker 7.1 Mushkin 8GB DDR3. 2x Intel SSD and some standard WD Black 1tb's. No matter the drive the install the hitching/slow downs are occurring.

Project Cars on a side note I run at 2.5k High/Ultra and experience no problems..but i dont care about that game, i want to play a sim and thats RF2 :)