Is rf2 too difficult? [lack of online players / leagues struggling]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Denstjiro, Apr 5, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

This is in progress. There is never an empty lobby really now: http://steamcharts.com/app/365960

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

3 Sparks and no Eves ............yeah that's insane.

3. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Honestly, it probably is "too difficult" for it's own good. But that DOESN'T mean anything needs to change. With R3E, AC, Pcars and others all leaning in the "simcade" direction, rf2 and iRacing may be the only true "sims" left out there. With the huge lack of interest in cars/racing from millennials, it will only get worse (for sims and real life series). Every teen/kid I have ever mentioned car racing to (or turned the TV to racing in the presence of) says "That's so boring... It's just cars driving in circles. How can you watch that?" and so on...Yep, that's how simple minded/ignorant this "internet" generation is. It's quite scary.

Honestly, IMO, this annoying VMOD/component system is probably hurting rF2 (participation AND modding) more then anything. For one thing, to edit one value in the HDV file of a given car, you have to unpack the mod, open the HDV, edit that one line, and repackage the mod again. This is VERY annoying when testing a mod and doing some "trial and error" type stuff. On top of that, having to download another VMOD for EVERY single different server seems kind of dumb as well.

It would be nice if rf2 (non devmode) supported running unpacked mods (cars and tracks) like rf1 did, for testing purposes among other things. I like to mess around with cars sometimes and would prefer to leave the mod unpacked.

So yes, changes need to be made to boost poularity and participation. Start with getting rid of the VMOD system and allowing unpacked mods to run in-game, and maybe a REALISTIC CLUTCH, as has been requested for years now. AC has it, iRacing has it(kind of), Pcars I think has it, so why not RF2??

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
  4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

GPL was too difficult because of crazy slow speed behavior, that didn't stop anyone. Give people a good base with good content and gameplay, and they will follow.

5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

IIRC JYS himself and a few others stated that GPL cars were significantly harder to drive than the real thing. Quite entertaining nevertheless.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

[​IMG]

My advice 10 years ago. :p

600-900 degrees
    5:1 Steering Ratio
    Non linear
    No Steering Hack.

Works well anywhere ;)

imho GPL and rF2 Historics are just as difficult in their own rights.

7. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

imho rf2 historics are MORE difficult because of insane over-steer under braking and having to contersteer with any small slide. In gpl, you can turn left, get a good amount of slip angle, and keep turning left. The CRAZY slides only required counter-steer, which I think is more accurrate seeing these cars had no downforce, they would be very "un-snappy", the opposite of modern F1 cars.

I personally think the lotus 25/49 might be two things AC got right...

8. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

One more thing, I think iRacing may be as popular as it is despite being so expensive is because of how quick and easily you can join a race. Just pick a series, wait for the next race to start, and there you go. No fooling with annoying VMODs and stuff.

That combined with the licensing system that keeps "noobs" from racing with the fast guys, and people like it. What I don't like is the incident points system, because if someone hits you, you get penalized for it, and that's just ridiculously unfair!

I would like to see rF2 adapt a similar system, maybe have both "open" series where anyone of any license can race, and have the "official" series where only drivers with a sufficient licence level can race, and these count toward a licence promotion. This way you get the best of both worlds and I'm sure it would boost popularity.

One ore thing, maybe take rain out of the sim completely until you get rain racing looking good and working well in the DEV builds. The poor rain graphics we currently have are more of a turnoff IMO than they are worth, so maybe if It wasn't included (IRacing and AC both don't have it yet) it would decrease the negative view many have of rF2.

One more thing, MARKETING!!! Iracing markets their sim like crazy and is the "most popular online racing game" for a reason.

Imitation is the best kind of flattery! ;)

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Bullsh!t !!
    You clearly don´t know what you talking about, as rain-racing in rF2 can nonetheless be a blast!
    And the driving experience is what counts in rF2.
    And that´s good!

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

"rFactor 2 - now without rain!"

Marketing brilliance right there. :D

11. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Yes, I agree, but without a little profit development can't continue. I'm thinking about what is best for the sim in the long run.
    I love rain racing in rF2, I'm just thinking about what OTHERS might think. Clearly you opinion differs from mine, no need to say "Buttsh!t!!"

So let me propose a better Idea: Instead of taking rain out (temporarily), how about making rain graphics a priority NOW?

12. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Omg the jealousy here is killing me! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I wasnt saying make a big announcement saying "NOW WITHOUT RAIN!!!", but that probably wasn't the brightest idea I've ever had lol. I just know the rain graphics (spray coming into the cockpit, crappy mist/fog, no raindrops on windshield, no wipers, ect has been a big complaint about the sim...

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

AC got heaps of cars feel pretty right, if driven within limits , you start to explore those limits the physics fall down for mine.

Soap on a rope, don't you feel the pendulum effect in almost every single car when you push them too hard. ?

rF2 it is the whole chassis you feel, opposite corners of car, weight transfer, pitch and yaw, etc

It is physics on another level and I never having this silly debate again.

>>>>> ......................... lol ;)

14. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

It all really comes down to RF2 having some exciting, clever and advanced features that simply need more time to interact properly and some development. Few pieces of software can boast the range and complexity of features that RF2 does and that, in turn, means RF2 needs more tuning. It's RF2's greatest strength and biggest weakness at the same time.

15. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

That "pendulum effect" is actually a thing though, at least when I push my corolla "past the limit", I feel exactly what your talking about. That's something tires do when on the limit of their grip. Its physics, just like all energy travels in waves and not a steady stream, friction can too. I did richard petty experience once at atlanta, and the stock cars do that a lot on the banking as well. Remember when big trucks used to lock up wheels before the ABS days and you would get that "Errr-errr-errr-errr-errr-errr" instead of a steady skid sound? It's the same thing magnified by the massive wieght of those trucks. Bigtime "friction waves" creating amplitude modulations in the skidding sound.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I can agree with that.

For me rF2 "is" Historics.

GT, OW, Nascar, Dallara ....... whatever yeah they all feel good and better then their counterparts.

But Historics is just like x 2 all those.

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

OK, now I understand you better Pearce.

That is propably something I would agree with.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

All that needs to tart it up is the rF2 spray and GPL's new historically correct Belgium.....oh and a mod like 1969 that does not look like it has square tyres.

:eek: .............DD how dare you ! .......... hehehe

Watch from 8:50 ...make sure you watch end of race. lol

P.S. Take note F3 Rookies you can see how NOT too cut pitlane. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
  19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah mate, I know, I was just jerking your chain a bit. :)
    And yes I agree, I look forward to seeing the wet weather get an overhaul, it'll be sweet I'm sure.