IS RF2 meant to be this atrocious....or am I missing something?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 65GTO, Feb 7, 2013.

1. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

Thanks pay2021. I have a laptop for my work - my PC is only for rFactor and GPL. I'll have to make do with RF1 until I can get a better PC....but it runs RF1 surprisingly well considering that it's an old machine!

2. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I see you got two threads going. Well basically I put in the other.....

Well without knowing the graphics card on your system just with base specs I'd say you can probably forget about running this game with that. Did a little google search and looks like you have 2 gigs of memory so that's probably not gonna help the situation any either. Your computer was primarily built as a business machine. And even that I ran across "The HP rp5700 is built to be a "five-year" PC, meaning it's designed to serve your business for at least five years, so the OptiPlex 755 should also serve your business for a similar period of time before the evolution of technology makes it seem too slow." And that post was made in February 2008 so .. time's up. lol

But you could probably do some things hardware wise to make it run better. Question is do you really want to.

As for your friend I feel for you man. I had a very close friend of mine do the same thing a couple of years back. I still have him on my friendslist on xbox live. Still don't know the reason for him doing it but when looking back it's kind of like the warning signs were sorta there. Very UP one week, next week so down in the dumps talking about the meaning of life. It was something that made me pause and think at the time but you can say that about all of us to some degree. i can at least take solace that I never turned a deaf ear to him when he wanted to talk. We emptied so many bottles of Bacardi together we should have had stock in the company. lol When we hung out this guy would take me to the edge of a wild night out. And I can really party hard, or at least I used to. But there were a couple of times where I had to call it quits. He was definitely more wild than I was.

3. Pits

Pits Registered

It took 29 posts before something real was said to help this man, thank goodness.
    Fanboys I understand but shear dishonesty and head burying is not on really.

My advice is wait till the graphics are all fixed and it should/could run on a cheaper machine just fine, I have an expensive one and it's almost/mostly fine on one big screen but still having some very slow frames with triple screens , actually pretty impossible.

edit: 65GTO, you mentioned Fanboys. My understanding of a "Fanboy".

Someone who is extremely keen on this game where their views become distorted and will fight the good fight on behalf of their beloved game (RF2 in this case). It's natural and we all do it, it can lead to a more emotional view on the game than factual real time playability and again it's ok, I'm a fanboy of my wife and that does lead to a distorted view after 34 years :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  4. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

I disagree, has i say before upgrade to a new machine will be good not olny for rf2 also for a lot other things, and in this build the graphics of rf2 are something better (they are nice indeed), but i thing the main charm of rfactor are not the graphics but the ffb and that "race feel", and for the content right now theres more content in rf2 being beta than rf1 being gold.
    But i must admit that i have some time having both rFactor and stick with the 1, but when i give chance to the 2nd theres is no back.

5. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

To answer your question without the nerd/geek speak - yes the game runs like crap compared to similar games. It needs LOTS of optimization.

Will we ever see that? I'm starting to doubt it.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Where are the fanboys ?

What a joke about consoles. ?

He calls rF2 atrocious, who is the fanboy ?

ffs lol

7. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

Thanks Marvin. Looks like I'll try to squeeze one more year out of the old Dell with RF1. Hopefully, RF2 will be in an even better place by then, and I'll have a PC with some balls... ;)

Our friends sound like they had similar problems. James suddenly developed acute paranoid schizophrenia, and would suffer the swings like you've described. What eats me up is how, when he swung back to 'normal' he'd talk at great length about how frightened he was that one day he'd do something bad when he was feeling unwell. Like you, I never turned a deaf ear - even though most of his friends did.

Here in the UK this week is mental awareness week, and I've posted various things on various media. But if anybody is reading this and has any doubts about one of their friends, please don't assume that someone else will help them, and never be afriaid to ask if someone is okay.

8. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

The thread title poses a clear question: Is it atrocious, or have I missed something?

I've read the whole thread and the answer was quickly established, which was that I had missed something and that my PC wasn't up to the task. This clearly implies that RF2 is indeed not atrocious.

Hope this clears up any confusion. Enjoy your gaming.

9. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I've seen useless threads in this forum, but this one is the champion:

1. A guy complaining about PC performance while there're some dozen of threads about the same subject.
    2. The guy doesn't even know the specs of his own hardware.
    3. The OP doesn't have the most basic level of proficiency in hardware but he still wants to fix it.

One old thing: PC Gaming (Simulation in fact) is not only a fun, it's a kind of hobby. In RF1, sometimes I lose about a half hour to get a F1 on the track, when it’s necessary to configure all plug-ins required for HUD, DRS and KERS, setup the controls, adjust the android IP for receiving data, telemetry, find the best video drivers configuration for each specific mode, etc. It’s another world apart of consoles reality. You don’t simply fire the shortcut and that’s all. We have live with this.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

65GTO, I hope you are not put off from this game or participating in this community because of the minority on here that think it is better to degrade and generally make fun of others because of their low self esteem and insecurity. I am sorry it took so long for someone to give you a serious answer on what might be the answer to your problems.

I hope you are able to get hardware to suit in future to play with other likeminded individuals and more importantly have fun!

Now watch the trolls attack this post for being positive :)

11. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Ok, we have a social psychologist. We are very grateful for your free consultation.

12. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Me doing the "impossible" on hardware that isn't all that expensive....

13. dice65

dice65 Registered

yep its junk , i unstalled it 3 days ago after getting 90 + fps and nothing but stuttering , 6970 here an its junk , it will be a long time before i try it again

steve

14. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

@OP. the answer is no. It is not meant to be atrocious.

15. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

No problem Woodee :) I can understand people's frustration, and they're within their rights to show it. I struggle to see how constructive that might be, but if someone feels better venting their frustration online and not somewhere they can do actual harm, then it's okay by me. That's what the 'ignore' button is for :)

I am a motoring journalist. As such I've been privileged to drive a lot of amazing cars all over the world, as well as experince what its like to win a race at national level in real life. Throughout my career so far I've done my best to be understanding and respectful of people - maybe that's why Bentley, Bugatti, Corvette and so on have trusted me with their cars, and why someone like Hammad is prepared to give me so much of his valuable time to help.

Other people just have a different way of doing things and treating people, although I don't know what kinds of rewards it brings.

16. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

Cool :) Very impressive.

Well I'm part of the way there.....................we have the same wheel!!!!

17. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Hey that's half the battle! You can build a PC for about a grand and it should do you fine. That's how much I spent building mine. I do have mine overclock though but it's not rocket science.

18. 65GTO

65GTO Registered

When you say 'about a grand' I take it you mean Dollars and not Sterling?! I had a quick look around last night and a decent gaming PC seems to run at about £400 brand new (about $700-ish), but add the wheel and you'd be at about $1000.

If I knuckle down I should be able to get one after the summer. Before then I have to have the back bumper re-chromed and the tri-power rebuilt on my GTO :/ Like my father said: "If it's got boobs or wheels it will cost you money and break your heart!" But he quickly went on to add: "...but if you can't race it or take it to bed then I'm not interested" ;)

19. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

There IS stuttering in this video... and zero cars on the track. It doesn't mean anything.

20. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

The three screens cost some extra though :) Also requires a good video card to provide output to three screens.

I use one screen, but once my motherboard or processor finally breaks down I'll build a new PC and get 3 bigger screens.
    My pc is from 2007, built it myself for €1500. Some knowledge is handy, because at some point my PC was not sufficient anymore.
    New silent huge cooler in 2010, New €200 video card in 2012, new SSD in 2012, Windows 8 early 2013. Still a 2,4Ghz dual core processor and 4GB DDR2 memory, in 2007 that was a lot now it is just enough.

You''ll build up the knowledge along the way. I'm almost done with IT study at university, but started off as a kid with an interest in figuring out how to run stuff, then how to modify hardware, then how to program websites and other stuff.