Is RF2 loosing to AC the modders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Aug 15, 2014.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Absolutely true, and I see why people like those effects for some obvious reasons. I'd love to have depth of field in track camera's in rF2 for example. That doesn't make the track look better, it just
    makes the experience more believable. Tosch made some hand held camera's for Zolder in the pitlane, at a race start with AI I nearly crapped my pants it looked so, I don't know, life like?

Also with the 'photo mode' screenshots posted, I do think they look beautiful indeed. But as you say, take away all the layers of effects and post processing, you potentially end up with
    something looking like any other (older) sim.

I prefer a realistic look over mis-used eye candy (solar flares/blurred dashboard anyone?), but truth be told, when looking at certani pCars screenshots, I sometimes can't tell if they are CG or not. It's the same with some footage
    from rF2 however. A while ago a guy filmed a Clio race on croft, that made me purchase rF2 it looked that real, nitty gritty, raw, racing. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  2. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

I like how identical opinions we have on this topic :)

3. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Absolutely agree with that. Qualitymods like DRM, HistorX or Enduracers mod would give a huge boost in acceptance of rF2, i guess. Of course .... these mods shouldn't be just simple 1:1 conversions from rF1, but with all the benefits of new rF2 features.
    These fantastic mods are the reason, that rF1 is still an active platform for leagues. I think, if these mods would come to rF2, then most of the leagues would finally make the step from rF1 to rF2 too.

4. Ddigital

Ddigital Registered

Well to circle a bit back. For everyone that doesn't mod it's a mood discussion. Simracers today live with 5 major simracing titles (plus others ofc!) that are in constant development. We guys have it good. I mean really really really good. I think everyone likes at least 2 of these 5 right? And that's ****ing awesome! What other genre has that?

So stop using your time defending your favourite of the list and attacking your least favourite, NO, just enjoy your choice! You pay for the game, it's your time, your combination of car & track you like to drive, your FFB settings. Why bother with this "MY TOY IS BETTER THAN YOURS"? If you want to help the modding community and don't have the time or skill to do it yourself then help test moders content, give them feedback and show them you care! And I guarantee you good content will reach your game. It can happen in every game. And that's good for everyone.

5. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

I'd answer the original question as thus: Yes, rF2 is losing to AC as far as sheer number of "modders" goes.

It's just significantly easier to make something of any quality for AC than it is for rF2. For one, there is support for free 3d software. To see the impact this has try the following: Start with only the rF2 content on your HD and then try to get just a simple object like a cube into the game. Go ahead, and try. You'll find out as soon as you start thinking about the necessary third party programs.

So it being easier might result in more people just trying to mod or to convert. That doesn't automatically result in quality, though.

The real question should be: "Does rF2 lose quality mod content?" The answer is: No. People dedicated enough to create new mods (as opposed to "just convert") for rF2 will almost certainly achieve quality results (see URD, APEX).

6. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Is there a list of 1.0 AC tracks? Regarding whether anyone is "losing" it remains to be seen based on how many follow through to 1.0. I do expect, however, that AC will win by far in the toilet bowl silly mod category. Gen Track 1 is great serious track, though. Castle Hill is good also but silly too.

7. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

On a hosting side to this..

AC needs to work alot on what can be configured server side.

Off the top of my head..there config has like 15 lines that can be edited..I am sure it will come..

Dave

NRT

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

What I see is a natural rushed porting/conversion, mostly from rF/rF2, into AC as it happens each time a new moddable sim being released. Around 14/20 announced mods are conversions, others are cars in a WIP stage, for obvious reasons. Scratch made need time.

Said that, doing a straight porting it's not modding. It's just a conversion.

I also think it's a matter of the sim you like most in terms of simulation. In general, as a modder I'd never start to work for a sim I don't like just because the workflow it's less tricky or fastest. This may encourage new guys to start modding because the time needed to see your objects rendered in the scene may be less, but skilled modders will continue working on the platform (or more than one) they like most, unless they're just graphic artists and they just don't care about the simulator they're working on. I repeat myself; this kind of "movement" it's natural and welcome for everybody.

Can't see any problem here.

9. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

i guess they need to improve the same client side, controlls are hilarious. 4 buttons on my SW dont work in AC for whatever reason, yet even without them AC doesnt have enough of functions you can assign keys to to use all of my working buttons on my wheel...

10. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Bingo.

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

What would you know about it.
    Im using Rf2 for almost 3 years now.
    I know its problems the hard way and I still have to endure the likes of you to tell me what my sim is or isnt.
    This is the official RF2 forum in case you havent noticed, its not a pCars forum, its not an AC forum.
    If and when I decide to change sim I will come to the appropriate forum and discuss the game with people that we share the same experience, not with people like you that I dont even know if they have driven the game or not.

Look at your profile, it doesnt even say if you have purchased Rf2 and you want people here to take you seriously?
    Really...

Please dont waste my time, you are polluting this place.

12. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

If you spend some time like we have, and try to understand what each line of the multiplayer does in just not rF2 ..but rF1, It is amazing how precise you can set up
    a server to operate.

granted some settings seem not to work..but with each release, more and more get working.

Some of these folks that have moved over to AC, like you say, are just doing conversions anyways..are they needed..Sure..will rF2 cease to exist without these folks...NOT..others will take up
    the challenge..Sim racing slows down greatly over the summer months in N America.

Nice weather...bikinis (lol) party s and picnics with family and friends..I wouldn't be sitting in front of a PC either for hours at end..But that is just me.

Hell I can't even get the welcome txt to work..looks like I am going to have to learn how .dlls' work to get what our clients ask for. It did work till second last build..

Sorry for the rambling..but the state of Rf2 is good and will be this time next year also... IMO

Dave

13. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

+100 lol..

I hate to imagine if ISI was to go to the Steam method of sales and release...wow..

Could you imagine the breed of new folks this would input into the software..

Not that this is a bad thing from a sales perspective... but I have a great time for entertainment logging into
    IRacing..and watching the Legends cars with new members..and the escapades that happen from starting at the bottom to
    achieve there classes..

I am glad that ISI has not went this route of Steam and limiting how and when you can get into a race,,

Little off topic...but again..ramblings.. :)

Dave

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Now it's bad? I thought that you thought it was only bad on ovals? Now it's just all around bad?
    You really liked the FR3.5 and you even called the rF2 Karts possibly the best car of any sim PERIOD. So we know you're not some troll and respect goes out to your vids. We know that you do have, somewhere in there, a soft spot for the physics and FFB that the rFactor 2 engine is capable of and is transmitted to the user through the gameplay/driving experience....

...BUT, I think (i'm sure many agree) that you place WAY too much of your OVERALL judegment of rF2 based on graphics. When you have built up such a large reputation for yourself, then that means you have garnered a very large (relatively speaking) audience that not only watches your videos, but listens to your word. You completely blow up way out of proportion the graphics of rF2 compared to the actual gameplay itself. Slagging off so much about a product just because of colours, trees, shaders, HDR, whatever, when the core gameplay is so great is such a dis-service to those developers that are working so hard to make the product all they can be, but more importantly it places things like graphics much, much too importantly to other viewers and therefore puts in the shade just how good the actual gaming/driving experience is and completely puts the entire product over a cloud of negativity. This does a lot of harm to a small developer's (ISI) product (rF2) which has some of the best pure gameplay in the market, and therefore surely deserves much, MUCH more positive recognition. We should be trying to encourage people to not judge it on it's graphics, but to just "trust you/us" and give it a chance and play it because it can be just as "mega" as any other sim around and potential customers/players shouldn't loose out on that just because of some gfx stuff. That's what you should be encouraging.

Almost the only time I see you post about rF2 is when you want to shoot it down or point out flaws as if you are in opposition to it or something. Again, completely overblowing way out of proportion graphics relative to the actual driving/gameplay of the product itself. I mean, I've had some of the best simracing experiences of my life in the ISI classic F2 and F3 and classic Monza and Spa, but the graphics don't look fancy and "blingy" like modern games so just forget about the amazing experience, right? Forget about the extraordinary physics as I'm "staring death in the face" at classic Spa, right? Forget about the FFB so alive as I'm flying through Monza, right? Forget about the overall gameplay itself that is, in the end, what brings, BY FAR, the most enjoyment and satisfaction to a video game (after all, it is a GAME that you PLAY, and not a MOVIE or PICTURE that you just sit and WATCH), right?

Graphics help sell games, yes, but it's just graphics. If rFactor 2 looked like PCars, it wouldn't have made the smallest damn of a difference to how my car drove, to my FFB, to how I fought the car through the Parabolica at Monza, to the way the car talked to me through a corner, to the way I slid it so beautifully on entry through the first Lesmo, etc. etc. etc. Pcars gfx wouldn't have made the smallest damn of a difference at any of those moments. You go way overboard in your criticism relative to how great the overall driving experience (actual game-PLAY), for the most part, is.
    Think you meant iRacing but ok (I actually like iRacing physics for the most part, just to clarify)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  15. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

The same goes to rF1, where a great extent of mods are conversions from GP4, GTR, GTR2, RACE-07 and similars, NR-2003, Codemasters *.*, GRID and F1-2002 (thanks to 3dSimed, an incredible piece of software capable to open almost everything and save as almost any format).

So, there's no point here. Mods made from scratch are a minor part for every sims, including rF2 too.

The few amount of quality material for rF2 is quite eloquent for itself.

16. Domi

Domi Registered

And where is exactly the problem?

17. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Did you download the new release yet?

Reiza has there development server and hosting server wiwth NRT... ( Not a PLUG!!!) It was crazy busy all weekend once it was released...
    I kept an eye on watching the bandwidth..lowest i saw it was 200MB..highest 900MB some-one was downloading it.. :)

Did you update to the newest version? how long to get it?..I love the sync system they have..works fantastic.,.

Sorry ops... back on rF2 track now..:)

Dave

NRT

18. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

No way, RF2 has more MODS, what you see in AC is more CONVERSIONS from rf1/2.

19. Domi

Domi Registered

Maybe because rF2 is 2,5 years old and AC modding tools were released 2 months ago? rF2 was full of conversions when it was launched as well. And looking way worse than in rF1 due to rF2's HDR system.

20. yusupov

yusupov Registered

you both seem to be on wobbling edge of senility. i can't even argue with your 'points'.