Is Motion Blur planned?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FONismo, May 30, 2012.

1. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Just wondering if this is an effect that is intended further down the line? I know now the tyres seem to have it but from what i can make out the environment seems to lack it when driving. I think if done right it can really change the look. I have been playing with AE the last few days in a video and it really changes the visuals, looks alot more immersive.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I believe there will be effects in replay mode which won't be in driving mode... But the replay function is lower in the list than many other things at the moment.

3. FONismo

FONismo Registered

That sounds interesting. So do you mean some form of editing suite for the replays? I think the replays need a major overhaul really, i presume that's what you mean? The fidelity in the replays i.e for tyre flex, suspension etc is really nice now but the cameras need alot of work.

4. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

5. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Nismo is talking about the fidelity in the replay is really nice but I want to point out that the lack of sideway movement of the tyre walls in replays or in realtime for AI is disturbing. It makes amazingly detailed slomo's over kerbs being less.. uhh.. amazingly :(

I hope that this will be improved in future, can you affirm something about this?

6. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Hmmm i have some wicked slomo shots of suspenion and tyre flex in a slomo video i'm working on now. Maybe just luck or something. The fidelity is great for me, it's the cameras that are poor. Once you go to freecam you loose all the animation of the moving camera which makes everything static and annoying.

Really want to be able to edit the cameras properly so you track the car motion, like you can in iRacing.

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Johannes said that independent suspensions work fine, his cars just have a live rear axle which doesn't work properly in replays.

8. 88mphTim

Some things are not hooked up visually, but are physically. :) It's another one of those places there's not much point putting coding time into when it's being reworked completely later anyway.

9. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Now you got me excited! When is it going to be on yt? ;)
    I wanted to do one of these myself but I just don't have the time and I'm not even familiar with Sony Vegas which I just recently bought.

10. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

You know how to make people enthousiastic.. Nice ;)
    Thanks for replying btw

11. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Agree with you, effect in replay can improve the general aspect of the game.
    For exemple this video of Forza.

The video is beautiful because camera view is simulated (mouvement etc... but more important a special FOV for the replay like a real optic of camera). I think if the optic of a camera will be simulated in RF2 we can have a fantastic replay.
    But like Tim, I think that must be in lower position of the list ;)

12. osella

osella Registered

I have to say sounds in that video are amazing, physics wise the car seems too fast, it didn't have loads of grip but what do I know, don't own consoles so didn't test personally

13. 88mphTim

That car probably was every bit as fast as that.

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

FM4/GT5 are probably both gripfests, and mashfest on the brakes, with low fidelity front end, rear end etc.

15. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Lol
    Leave the car where it is, please.
    what matters in the video,than nice replay have need a simulation of the optics of a camera (especially the FOV)

16. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Personally DOF is much more important than FOV (that has been cracked since the early 90s...) in replays.

17. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

You're right, effectively DOF give a great advantage.

18. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Yes, DOF will certainly make it feel like you're looking through a real camera. However, if we're talking strictly about making the replays look 'good', then proper framing (which includes FOV) and layout will do many more wonders than DOF. DOF is just another tool in the "director's" toolbox for manipulating your focus and attention. DOF just simply gets rid of the high-frequency 'noise' that can draw your attention away from the subject. MOST cartoons don't have DOF (it wasn't until Disney invented the multi-plane camera that it was even introduced), but they can 'fake' the effect by not drawing in every single brick or blade of grass (but keeping sharpness at the edge of a building, window, door, tree, etc.).

19. FONismo

FONismo Registered

I agree with this totally. I think DOF works well with static images, i.e screenshots, but think what you have said is more relevant for replays. I know it's not top of ISI's list but really do hope we do get a vastly improved replay system with some form of editing suite built in.

iRacing is industry best in this regard right now IMO in terms of having freedom over replays but i don't race that anymore.

20. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Not sure tbh but no time soon. Have to many other things i have to do for other people and the replays at least for me in terms of undercar shadows are worse this build so it's really time consuming having to mess around with cameras