Is it worth upgrading from i5 2500k to i5 4690k or i7 4790k?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by maciej, Feb 21, 2015.

1. maciej

maciej Registered

Hi guys.

I am running with gtx titan card and AsusP8Z68 v pro gen3 board and triple screen.

I am considering changing my mobo and cpu to I5 4690k or I7 4790k.
    The thing is , i am not sure if i am going to benefit from it so is it worth to spend this extra money , should i upgrade or not?
    Anyone with similar experience?

2. eltidi

eltidi Registered

your i5 2500k is it overclocked? if it's you will not see any performance gain in rfactor, in some games that uses more thread like crysis 3, ryse or battlefield you will see performance gains with the 4790k.

3. matf1

matf1 Registered

Pretty sure I read something about PCI lanes with that chip in the nvidia thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4. maciej

maciej Registered

It is overclocked to 4.5ghz.
    I have heard something about PCI lanes but was wondering if after updates that is still the case.

5. matf1

matf1 Registered

Forgot to come back to this thread.
    GTX-980-Review-Sim-Racers-Perspective
    So as indicated on this thread, we are running at PCIE2 instead of 3 with that chip.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

99% of game's don't benefit much when going from PCI-E 2.0 @ 16x to PCI-E 3.0 @ 16x. Maybe 3-5 fps? RFactor 2 is quite the exception though. A large amount of tests from many users with many types/models of hardware almost all showed relatively large framerate improvements in rFactor 2 when switching from PCI-E 2.0 @ 16x to PCI-E 3.0 @ 16x. Framerate improvements ranged from around 10%, all the way to around 40%.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  7. maciej

maciej Registered

Thanks guys.
    Yeah i have done some research and its a little confusing.
    People say its not worth to update considering the price you have to pay for the 4790k and the performance gain is not great and that its better to wait for new generation of processors.
    On the other hand rfactor2 will have some big benefits from what i see so its really tough decision for me.
    Even going with 4690k i will have to get new mobo so it will be costly.
    I have to see all the pros and cons and decide .

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you can find a good price, then how about going Ivy Bridge (the predecessor to Haswell/DC) w/ a Z77 board? The 3570k/3770k supports PCI-E 3.0. Sell your parts and buy used. You could probably make the switch while hardly spending anything. I just sold my Ivy-E CPU, MB, and RAM for a used Hswl-E CPU, MB and new RAM, and the difference with everything was only around $125.

9. maciej

maciej Registered

If i only new that before about PCI-E 3.0 but i had no idea.
    About a year ago i have got 3770k for good price but i find out it will not work best with my motherboard so i didnt want to spend extra money and i decided to sell the 3770k without losing any money.
    Disappointing now to find out that i should have keep that.
    But good thinking Spinelli maybe i should look into something less price , going with Haswell will make that super expensive.