Is it possible to edit driving view LOD's?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ForthRight, May 19, 2014.

1. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I know this would obviously affect the framerate (possibly quite badly), but I would like to edit the cockpit camera view so that the cars in front of me stay at a higher detail level further into the distance. Everything else in the sim looks great, but even on max settings with some of the cars it can be quite obvious when they drop to a lower detail level (and they aren't that far away from you).

Is this possible?

Thanks for any info. :)

2. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Hi

Yeah possible! but not the way you think. because it's car mod related setting and not cockpit camera setting.

Inside the mod there are settings for each LOD @ given distance. For each mod.

Problem : this has to be done by the guy who makes the mod, otherwise : not possible to play online because everyone needs the same mod (server & clients).

Also : pump up the quality details settings in your game, if you're at max, then baddly designed mod.

Which car mod?

3. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I'm actually talking about ISI's cars, and the Civic in particular.

I admit I have mental problems when it comes to visual quality (I'm beyond picky), but when the AI cars get a bit further away from me their car model drop in detail is a little bit too obvious - the top part of the car becomes almost see-through because it is using a much more basic shape. I understand that this has to happen (at some point) in order to keep decent framerates, I just wish it could happen a little bit further into the distance so I didn't notice it so much.

From what you say it sounds like I'd have to edit the car files themselves in order to do this, which would cause a mismatch online. That is a shame.

Do you know which file I would have to edit out of interest? Each vehicle only seems to have about four files in their folders, but none of them look like they could be edited in a text based program.

Thanks for your reply.

4. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Got to : unmas using mas2.exe ...
    Find the right file
    Then mas it again ;)
    Then create a new mod using the same mas2.exe
    Install new created mod

The way opponents cars disapear is directly linked to the quality you set for opponents quality in rF2 graphical settings.

With an ISI official car, it shouldn't happen.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I never understood why LOD's are car mod and track related rather than just having some sort of adjustment/slider in the sim's options which affects it globally or something.

6. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

AFAIK ISI stated that there are some LOD issues with the Civic that will be corrected when the car is updated

7. gagipro

gagipro Registered

It depends of so many things ... Like adjusting performance / 3d model #of polys ... It's linked to the details of 3d model, then to the car mod. Not track!
    Tracks view distance is set in the track.
    In the sim one can adjust LOD for car opponents BUT it has to be set correctly in the mod.
    Make us a video to prove LOD issue, ISI will perhaps take care of updating LOD in next update :)

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I never understood why North is North and South is South, when it would make just as much sense if North were South and South were North... and don't even get me started on left and right...

Seriously, you can do it either one way or the other. It's up to modders to provide lower detail models which means they have to choose how to simplify the models to provide better performance while still looking ok, and decide where to make that switch in order to help performance while making the switch fairly hard to spot. If the game decided where those switches happened modders would have to do their best to provide the models that work at those distances, whereas now they can basically provide models and then adjust the distances based on how they perform. Neither is really a better option than the other, this is what we have, so this is what modders need to work with.

Having a system-wide setting that adjusted LOD distances would just be another user setting that needs adjusting between mods, and then we'd have people asking for a per-mod setting so they don't have to adjust, and we'd have people complaining about performance in a particular mod and 16 pages of "try this, try that" and finally the OP saying "oops, sorry, forgot I'd adjusted the LOD distances for this other mod I was playing.."

Wonder how you find the time to complain about so many things sometimes...

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That wasn't a complaint. I just literally never understood why detail viewing distance isn't just in the graphics options instead of having to be adjusted from makers. Everyone has different PC's and places different amounts of Importance on graphics. For ex. Maybe I want the LOD's to stay at the highest level quality because I have a super powerful computer, while someone else might rather have tons of high quality AA at the expense of having the LODs noticeably change to lower quality/poly models much, much sooner.

In GT Legends, for example, you can easily see the car models change to lower quality models the further they go from you and the opposite as they come closere specially in TV/spectator cams. I really appreciated this at a time, especially during large fields because I was struggling for fps. Then as the years went on and I can achieve 150-300 fps the extremely noticeable changing LODs were just ruining an otherwise very beautiful visual experience. Seeing car body objects like bumpers, mirrors, lights, etc etc constantly morphing shapes or popping in/out of existence when you have every gfx setting maxed out and playing at 150-300 fps can be very distracting and experience-ruining when you are trying to enjoy watching some beautiful races.

10. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Which mod can you observe such behaviour in rf2?

Lazza perfectly resumed why.

Details are ajustable in game :
    You can choose 4 levels for opponents details.
    There's a distance based LOD for each object composing a car and for each 4 levels.

When I'm modding bad, my testers will see that's something is wrong then I correct the LOD corresponding to the details chosen by the tester complaining.

If one doesn't complain for a specific opponent detail settings ... I cannot guess.

I won't test every details settings :)

Simple as that.

Take a video where you observe bad behaviour and give graphical settings. We try to correct and ask ISI to include this new LOD setting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

My complaints comment was uncalled for. Sorry about that.

To me that just says the highest detail models were a bit too much for the average system to handle, so they had to simplify them too much (and/or switch down too early) to compensate and keep performance up. Unfortunately after years computing power will change so much you can't really keep things near the edge. If they'd used less detailed models for close-up they probably could have avoided such a noticeable change, but then after a few years they'll just look a bit simplistic compared to more recently released mods/games.

I'm sure that's a common problem with games though, and why rarely anyone can run absolutely full settings on release; developers aim for slightly too much detail at the time, so you have to lower settings (like texture detail/quality) to run things well, then as computing power increases you can turn it up to full. Obviously what you're suggesting could be used somewhat to change the effects over a certain period, but it can't overcome overly simple models by the standards of future years. And if you make a mod to try and cater for that, people will tend to push it to max settings and complain about performance (either of the mod or of rF2 itself) because they don't understand what you're aiming at.

All that aside, if body parts etc are disappearing it's poor management of LOD or (probably more in years gone by) a change in resolution that's making it more obvious. You can imagine a game that was designed when 800x600 was the norm will show a few deficiencies in 1920x1080, for example. It seems to me when a car is at a reasonable distance you could use a very simplified model without it being very noticeable at all, but I suppose it's probably easier to just make some parts disappear instead.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No problem Lazza :)

Ahh, gagipro, I see now. I didn't know that there are different "sets" of LOD change distances based on the in-game opponent details setting. Does that mean that the opponent details option won't do anything if a mod maker only makes 1 "set" of LODs?

13. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Yeah, got it dude ;)

Myself, I made 2 bad mods :
    205gti
    R5turbo

They are so bad, only one LOD detail in my 3d models, so I put the same for every opponents details setting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Test (sorry) :)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk