Is it possible in rF2 to race on a LAN instead of online?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Huub van Doremalen, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Huub van Doremalen

Huub van Doremalen Registered

In rFactor it is possible to choose between racing online or to race on a LAN, with multiple computers connected to a LAN, racing against each other. That is what we do most of the time with rFactor. Is this also possible with rFactor 2? And how do I start a race on a LAN?

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

No, it´s always the same online-routine.
    You have to build a vmod, start the dedi-server (what can be the same machine as playing on) and let connect the players.
    Therefore you have to open ports in router (as in rF1, but other ones).
    However you can setup the server for WAN only, what makes no difference in the routine.

dadaboomda likes this.
  3. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Actually, @peterchen you might have misinterpreted Huub's question. He wants to do a LAN race, which is perfectly possible with the Steam release as we now fully support running Steam in off-line mode. So, like you say, he simply needs to start a dedicated server. If you configure that to run on one of the ports in the range where Steam will auto discover it, it will nicely show up in the LAN tab of the server browser on each client. If not, you can still use the +connect IP:pORT command line option to connect to it.

4. bobcat123

bobcat123 Registered

Im trying to set up a lan race witb 2 computers. Any suggestions?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

To conect LAN. Offline.

You will need a dedicated server PC. A laptop that can have rFactor2 on it. Doesn't have to be able to run it for racing, just as long as it can run a dedicated server.

You'll still need to create a event the same as you do for online dedicated servers.
    This should have a IP address and password. You should be able to use this for online if you have a mate who want to join you but can't make it to the LAN. (Example, Your house)

Now go to rFactor located on your PC should be something like, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2
    Open folder named Launcher.
    Find the rF2 exe. Create shortcut. Put this on your desktop.

Rename it (Example) rFactor2 LAN.
    Right click on the new LAN exe. Open properties.

On the shortcut TAB you will see a target line.
    in this line edit it to read,
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Launcher\Launch rFactor.exe" +connect DEDI IP ADDRESS +password XXXXX
    Be sure to add the spaces between rFactor.exe" +connect IP +password

Connect the LAN PC's to the Dedicated server via router. Wired or WIFI. Wired is better. WIFI will require the routers password.
    Start the server. Offline I think. It should ask you to connect to the net or run offline. Choose offline.

On connected PC's.
    Start Steam offline. It will ask so you can have run it offline. Once this is established,
    Start rFactor2 on the connected PC's using the new LAN exe. Using this exe rFactor will look for your dedicated server. If you have done it correctly you should see a join screen listing only the dedicated server. Join race session.

It can be hard to get running the first time but once it's established and running it will run without issues from then on.

Best of luck.

Do you need to buy rFactor2 for the dedicated server PC? We did. Now it could be changed. A LAN dedicated server is no different to a online one.
    If people are creating a server and joining it with the same rF2 install I don't know.
    If this is possible to do now it would save you needing the server PC.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  6. Louis

Louis Registered

hold my beer...

7. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Quoting @Christopher Elliott from another thread

I always run a local dedicated server on my gaming PC for offloading all the AI computations from the main game.

Once the dedicated server is up and running, I launch rF2's multi player mode and switch the server listing from WAN to LAN.

:)

Cheers.
    Max

8. vrroomkelowna

vrroomkelowna Registered

Hey Marcel, i have 2 pc’s with Rf2 on them for my sim racing business and want to link both computers together for LAN racing. I have read the various replys for LAN racing and how to set up one as a dedicated server. Do i still need a Laptop? Or can i use the one computer as the dedicated server using a router? Im a bit new to this so just wanted to be sure. Thanks

9. vrroomkelowna

vrroomkelowna Registered

Hi Max, I asked this question to Marcel but maybe you have an answer for me. I have started a racing simulation business, I have two simulators and two PCs with rfactor2 on them I want to link both PC’s together So I can do head to head racing. I can already race either simulator separately off-line but I want to be able to link them together and I purchased a router to be able to LAN. Can I not just use one of the PCs as the server without needing the Laptop? Thanks

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can probably ask S397 directly, as you'll need permission to use rF2 commercially anyway.

11. vrroomkelowna

vrroomkelowna Registered

Thanks Lazza

12. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Sure, just use the stronger PC (or the one with more CPU cores) for hosting the dedicated server and make sure, your multiplayer.json is set to use the proper http ports for LAN broadcasting.

Here's my posting about that topic from another thread:

:)

Cheers!
    Max

13. GBJsch

GBJsch Registered

ok now it worked, but i got another problem, every time I create a race event, when i select my own race event in the dedi server and hit next, it changes to another race event for some reason

I already tried to make a lot o race events and this happends with all of them, one of my friends got this problem too