Is b85 rf2 the best sim ever?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F2Chump, Jun 1, 2012.

1. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I loaded up iracing for the hell of it, and noticed I needed a small update to the Solstice, so did that and took it and the MX5 cup for a drive....the Solstice is certainly a good little car for new drivers, it's not doing anything stupid{unlike the spec racer OTM}, but is a very slow and uneventful car, so jumped into the MX5 and was immediately met with more power and a much more dramatic car.

As for FFB, the Solstice is very light, but it's a smallish car going slow, the MX5 is heavier, but it also clatters the hell out of my G27 under brakes, not sure if there's an adjustment for it like rf2, but regardless, last time I tried to turn up the FFB slider on the MX5, it felt like I'd increased the steering lock....anyway, enough of iracing, I jump into the Megane{450deg rotation} and by golly gomer, incredible weight of FFB just driving and without question the best simulated braking FFB, and this is with a modified G27 ini.

Personally I wish the megane was a BMW, but other than that, the impression it makes compared to the 2 iracing cars I just drove was miles apart, of course we have to consider what each car is and also be mindful that in it's present state, rf2 is quite a handful to get set up properly, but the driving experience is in another league.

To me, nearly everything makes sense now, so when I lose control, I pretty much accept it and can quickly ensure it doesn't repeat, but what I like is that rf2 now has a strong degree of difficulty, but all experienced sim players should be able to make sense of it, as such you're forced to drive well and focus, and by and large you've only got yourself to blame when you overcook it.

Another thing to consider is that both the F2/3 are epic, especially the F2 with the quality of the FFB overall, the braking FFB, and the feeling that I can feel what each tyre's doing, especially on the front as it's such a great visual, but under brakes these cars are no1.

Unlike the rf1 demo, the base content here{WIP} represents some of the best sim cars I've ever driven, and we've still got more from ISI, and who knows what the modders will produce, but the funny thing is, the unfinished work of rf2 is already better than anything else IMO.

I said elsewhere that sooner or later people are going to get to where I am, ie, a well set up b85, and realize that this is the best sim right here and now.

2. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Cool, glad you like it too.. You are mentioning a modified controller.ini.. Could you specify that for us, please?

3. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

http://www.mediafire.com/?gbj8diageg1j5qz

Try it for yourself.....

4. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Thank you, sir.. Will do tomorrow.

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It has the makings of the best sim ever, but it's not there yet in this unfinished state. I have a feeling it will be once it's ready though. =)

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

As far as the raw driving's concerned, I think it's there already....not 100% sure about the GT's, but enough cars to keep us happy for the moment:cool:

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The tyre model isn't finished yet, though there has been much improvement. Rolling resistance and loading the tyres still doesn't heat them up enough from what I've seen, among a few other things, but it has improved a lot since the last time. Then there are the wet weather oddities, etc.

The driving feel is indeed fantastic, especially considering the unfinished state of both the cars and the engine, but it still needs work. Just think about how good it will feel when it's ready if it feels this good now. =)

8. coops

coops Banned

i think if this build is what we have to go on. it will be the top racing sim first yr its released

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

From build 85 it's showing some serious promise even at this beta stage

optimisations, bug fixes, physics updates/refining,tire model are coming hopefully

10. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I hope ISI fixes the issue that hampered Rfactor 1 to me... What Im talking about is the 7 mph 360 degree turn that will 100% turn you around the wrong direction IE: you say you run a rumble strip to hard and you lose control so you get on your brakes and start counter steering to get back straight then all of the sudden you realize your only doing 7 mph and your spinning in circles.... Aghh so annoying!

11. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Steering Effects is to low your losing way to much "feel" 8500 and above. And 7-9 for the filter- I wis they would fix that..
    Those are just suggested settings that may help improve feel- but keep on rolling!

Steering effects strength="8000.00000" // -10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)
    Off-road multiplier="0.00000" // Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)
    Steering torque filter="12" // Number of old samples to use to filter torque from vehicle's steering column (0-32, note that higher

12. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I think it's okay atm, it's really just a question of dialing down off track effects, but I'm not going off track that much, so I can live with it for now..

13. GothaR

GothaR Registered

It is very good now, I like the feeling of old Formula cars (personally I prefer F2, because it is more fun than F3 and not so hard to control as F1), I also like graphics. But the best sim? I don't think so, but it can be if it will have all the cars from the promo screenshot and the Nordschleife :) I would like to have some mid engined car on road tires (Lamborghini Gallardo, Ferrari F458, etc...), it is more fun to drive than road cars on slicks.
    And there is also Assetto Corsa simulator which is the only and biggest opponent of rF2 now. It will have very interesting cars and if there will be improved physics from nkpro (including rain simulation)...well ISI will have to work hard :)
    BUT now I am a big fan of rF2, the power is in mods and the game's potential will grow with more and more quality tracks and cars done by modders. Assetto Corsa will support mods too, but rF2 is ahead because of earlier release and if you remember the development speed of nkpro, then you can agree with me, that rF2 shouldn't have a problem to stay ahead of AC :)

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Me, I'm just referring to the simulating of the driving, not how many cars or tracks, otherwise GT5 would always be the best sim.

15. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

This guy has 2 excellent sims on the trot, so I suspect many rf2 fans will buy AC as well, but you always wonder about MP, but SP should be okay in AC.

16. osella

osella Registered

No it's not. <<< answer to OPs question

But with every new build it comes closer and most importantly, I'm sure full release will be mindblowing, if not from shipped content then "simply" for all the possibilities open to modders.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Build85 is getting there, I'm no SIm Racer fanatic who gets every title under the sun when released...hell I only tried iRacing a couple of times but could'nt get to grips with it so rF1 was the only one for me (in recent years that is).

The question is What will make RF2 the best sim....and theres two answers:
    a) ISI continue to improve and support it...needless to say thats happening!
    b) The Community made mods & tracks...needless to say thats happening too!

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

If ISI spent really focus on tire model & physics then they will not go wrong , this updated graphics engine looks super, decent modders will bring out track packs/cars etc

19. rockerman

rockerman Registered

Ok, last night I finally bought also Project Cars. And now I can say that rfactor 2 is still the best simulator. ok, both are not finished yet, but rfactor 2 is much more realistic and immersive. I also tried netkar pro (unfortunately not yet iRacing), but rfactor 2 is a step forward than everyone else!

Great work ISI!!

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Not the best sim yet, but it could be in the future, build 85 has started showing some promising signs as to what ISI could be trying to achieve

I'm pretty much from the iracing community

I'm & im sure many others are watching isi & rf2 with much interest