iRacing realtime contact patch video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fernando Deutsch, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Fernando Deutsch

Fernando Deutsch Registered

It shows the size of tire contact patch in realtime. Would be cool to have something like this on rFactor2, kind of dynamic telemetry, good for setup development.

2. TJones

TJones Registered

Hi, i donĀ“t think that these infos are available for the normal user, seems to be some kind of Def-tool.
    Anyway, there are not much Infos about Tyre Physics in rFactor2.
    Maybe some one from the Dev-team can post some info. :)

3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

From what I heard, rF 2 will have (well, probably already has) physical tyre model. That means - it should blow us away (until iRacing shows their tyre model -Dave is also working on trye physical tyre model so we will see whose attempt will work better ;-) ). because of that, having such dynamic visualization should not be that hard to have... but the question is: do you really need such a fancy stuff? ;-)

4. Fernando Deutsch

Fernando Deutsch Registered

We may not need that info, but I found it pretty interesting. It gives a good sense of how much and fast weight is transfered to the car corners. Would be nice to see a spring or camper change does affect that contact patch on a turn phases.

5. Marek Lesniak

Maybe as a part of a bigger tool to help working on setup. Tyre patches, dynamic suspension modelling (like in LFS). Such thing combined with typical data log analysis would improve working on car setup. Having it for such thing (as a separate tool) would be nice.

6. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

That would be very cool to have. As someone mentioned in the video it's not something that's available in real life, so it kind of goes beyond simulation in terms of set up tools. I'd still welcome something like it.

7. sgasper

sgasper Registered

where can i purchase Rfactor 2 ?

8. Marek Lesniak

You can't...

9. GTR2fan

GTR2fan Registered

but rfactor had a plugin for motec telemetry, and it has all the information about tyres.

I forgot, LFS has that interface, you can see the tyres performance at real time.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The rFactor internals interface doesn't output tire loads so the MoTeC plugin isn't capable of it either.

11. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

You might want to check that again. I've seen loads since day 1.

12. TUNDRA_schumacher

TUNDRA_schumacher Registered

the smileys are kinda boring in here :p

13. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

It is interesting to sit and watch 2 competing companies working on nearly identical products developing a similar technology in presumably different ways.

Tire model vs Tyre model. It is really up to that, damage and visual enhancements to decide which sim will be ahead as of rF2's release. The question is will ISI keep rF2 updated more so then they have with rF1? iRacing receives tweaks constantly but bear in mind they are paid constantly by everyone playing. If rF2 gets tweaked and addons throughout its lifetime I see no reason it couldn't be competitive against the iRacing machine.

Just wish some staff would review the Wishlist thread and make me feel better about what I can expect and not expect from all our suggestions.

14. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

We do review it. I'm not sure what I can say to make you 'feel better" about it, other than we are working as hard as we can to get in what we can before we release, and that we will, as with rF1, release updates after release to add features that we didn't have time for initially. Best I can do... :)

15. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Sounds good to me.

16. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Warm Sponge Bath..

Just mentioned the wishlist because only one staff has posted and it was to simply quell a brewing argument. Not to comment on the validity any of the suggestions.

17. Marek Lesniak

Hahahaha :D

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Just rechecked. Yep your right. Tire load and lateral force is in there. I stand corrected:
    Code:
      float mTireLoad;               // Newtons
      float mLateralForce;           // Newtons
      float mGripFract;              // an approximation of what fraction of the contact patch is sliding
      float mPressure;               // kPa
      float mTemperature[3];         // Celsius, left/center/right (not to be confused with inside/center/outside!)