(invisible) Reflections FPS drop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrokkelPiloot, Jul 13, 2012.

1. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

Hi all,

I was fiddling around with the GFX settings to try and optimize fps, when I found out that road and environment reflections cause huge fps drop (especially the latter). By disabling the reflections I nearly doubled my framerate. The odd thing is that I can hardly see the difference in-game (if any at all). I tested this on dry track on a sunny day and I can imagine that other conditions might lead to more significant differences. However, wet conditions are not very common. This leads to my question: "What is the use of the resource-hungry reflections in dry conditions?"

I'm also eager to find out your experiences with this particular "problem".

Cheers!

Thijs

2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I believe the 'mirage effect' is using road reflections. I believe (though I'm probably wrong) that Environment reflections are on the cars themselves--either that or on buildings and such.

3. ethone

ethone Registered

I suspect as soon as the feature is turned on, the cube maps are being generated and stored in VRAM, no matter if the current conditions are dry or wet.

What's the bottleneck with your configuration? Is it VRAM size?
    On which track did you experience this?

4. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

I own the following system:
    i5 2500K @ 3,3GHz
    AMD HD6870 1 GB GDDR5
    8GB pc6400 DDR3

The graphics card is most likely the bottleneck. It was on the Mills track with the new Clio mod. Also I have both track and car detail at max (I imagine this would be of big influence also). HDR is turned off because it is too bright for now.

5. FONismo

FONismo Registered

You will notice the use of Road Reflections more in wet races when the refections on the road surface are really visible. Dry conditions you possibly won't see alot of difference. So if you don't really race wet races much then it won't be as much of a loss as it would under wet conditions with it disabled.

6. ethone

ethone Registered

Hm, at 1GB it's unlikely to have been a VRAM-size issue then. Or were you running with lots of AI?

7. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Enviroment reflections are related to cars & trackside objects
    For wet road reflections you have in gfx option called "road reflection" :)

8. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Sure yes i understand that. But the reply was to the quoted part of the original post. The OP could not really see the difference with them turned on or off, was just saying you will notice it more under wet conditions

9. Favio

Favio Registered

I have the same issue, I use HDR (too shiny and too much saturation imo) and enviroment reflection OFF, hope that next build have better performance and more realistic HDR effect.

10. feels3

I mean that if you turn OFF env. reflections, wet road reflections are still visible.

That's why I have turned OFF env. refl. at the moment because I have the same issue - FPS drop.
    The only difference is that reflections are missing on cars. (and windows on few tracks)

11. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Oh ok i didn't realise that, i have not played around with them tbh. But yes still if you turn them both off and then start a wet race you will see the difference of them both being enabled and disabled. Only real issue i have right now is the opac headlights on most cars, can't seem to fix it but have seen screens from others and their headlights are fine.

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Re the opaque headlights Nismo...

I saw screens of the new Clio`s being driven at Historic Monaco and the headlights were nice and clear, as they should be.

From what I was told by the poster of the shots he said the opaque headlights are caused by a track bug and not a car bug so on some tracks they are clear and on others opaque... not tried it myself yet but thought I`d mention it. :)

13. FONismo

FONismo Registered

That's interesting, i didn't know that. I think i see the pics on RD your on about aswell. Thanks for that, hopefully it gets sorted

14. feels3

I have this issue on every track. ;)

[​IMG]

15. FONismo

FONismo Registered

I have aswell as far as i remember. I can't remember seeing clear windscreens and headlights for a long time now.

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh the screens were posted on RD Nismo and the headlights are as clear as a bell.

Strange though as I see it hasn`t worked for feels3.

I`ll go and check if it works for me and let you guys know.

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Just did a very quick test and sadly the headlights are still opaque...

This was at historic Monaco... I`ll try the other tracks in a bit but not holding out much hope. :(

I wonder how the poster at RD had nice clear headlights then?

:confused:

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Build 85 buggered everything up and has'nt been right since! hoping the next build fixes it as I'm desperate to go night racing!