Invisible on-track to other players

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by rfuctor, Sep 21, 2015.

1. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

I'm running a dedicated server.

When I connect to it, other players are unable to see or hear my car on-track. Other players cannot see my car when they are spectating from the pits or when they are physically driving on-track. Collisions with other players only affect me.

I tested with a friend, using the same mod, his server worked perfectly but when I ran the server I have this issue.

What is wrong with my server? I have tried disabling software and hardware firewalls, complete re-install of the latest version of rFactor2 and I am totally out of ideas at this point.

2. TimboSlice480

TimboSlice480 Registered

Was there ever a solution for this? I'm having the exact same issue, and was about to make my own post about it. Here's a video of the issue. I am the car on the left, and on my friend's end, he's just running a hot lap all on his own. So I can clobber into them as hard as I could, and they wouldn't be affected at all.

https://streamable.com/x8xgk

3. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Make sure your upload speed in-game is like 256kb or higher. In connection settings.

4. TimboSlice480

TimboSlice480 Registered

It auto-set to my speeds to 'custom'. [​IMG]

EDIT: Oh you said "in-game"... Where in-game is the 'connection' setting located? I must be overlooking it somewhere.

EDIT 2: Do you mean this? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  5. Coutie

Yes. Your settings are high enough(maybe too high, you don't need to match it to your actual speeds), but your friends might not be. We tested this, and you couldn't be seen, and couldn't see other people, but I think we only tested upload. Maybe your friend has his upload speed set high, and his download set really low.

Edit: I guess you can have it as high as you want, but between 512-1024 is probably high enough.

6. TimboSlice480

TimboSlice480 Registered

So is it just a matter of finding a sweet spot between the two connections? The funny thing is that when he actually hits me, he can see my parts go flying into the air... It's very strange.

7. Coutie

Well, you just have to not be low.

8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

It is ping guys bad connection to the server. You should never join the server if ping is over 200ms. Remember also that ping you see in multiplayer lobby is not same as ping in game.

9. TimboSlice480

TimboSlice480 Registered

Well I made my upload/download speed 1024, and I had my friend also set his to that it would match that as well, and still no luck :(

EDIT: He says the ping was 144ms too, in the server browser.

EDIT 2: In-game, his ping is anywhere between 26-38ms. They can see each other, and AI just fine, but never me.

EDIT 3: proof [​IMG]

EDIT 4: I didn't goof up the ports, did I?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  10. Kaitsu_69

Kaitsu_69 Registered

Just asking if you did check integrity of you local game files?

11. TimboSlice480

TimboSlice480 Registered

Yeah, that's something I had tried most recently. It did find one file, and downloaded it, but it didn't seem to be the fix.

12. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I notice you do not have a ping, so how are you connecting to the server ie via wan or lan in your server browser?

13. TimboSlice480

TimboSlice480 Registered

I assume it does not show my ping due to me being the server host. I connect through WAN, though, as my server does not appear when I have LAN selected. Could this have anything to do with why they couldn't see me?

14. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I've always seen a ping when joining my own server, so the wan thing may be the problem. I'd change a couple of ports so that the server shows in the lan dropdown;

In your setup I'd do the following to ports,
    Both 54297 => leave as is
    TCP 64297 => change to 27013
    UDP 64298/64299 => change to 27014/27015
    Your server should now show up in the lan dropdown... See how that goes

15. ceecee

ceecee Registered

What security software are you using ?
    I did read you have disabled it however some security software remains active after disabling.

16. TimboSlice480

TimboSlice480 Registered

Well, that did allow me to join through the LAN dropdown, and it does show a ping for me under these circumstances: [​IMG]

However, now my server does not appear through WAN, meaning my friends cannot join. We've even resorted to trying Hamachi, but they don't see it under LAN, only I can.

You must be confusing me with the actual OP. I am running the free version of Malwarebytes and Windows defender though. Nothing too fancy.

EDIT: A bunch of these network adapters suddenly appeared, although I have no clue if it has anything to do with rFactor 2, but I don't remember them being there before: [​IMG]

I just don't understand how they can see my parts and pieces flying off my car and have those parts affect their driving, yet they cannot see me as a whole. Such an odd problem.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  17. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Try checking windows defender's rules to see if there is rules blocking ports, you could also try disabling it to see if your friends can then see the server. Probably telling you to suck eggs here, but also double check you multiplayer.json file, lines that start with "http port" and "simulation port" are correct (reckon they are as you can see your server).
    Check out post #15 in this thread.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/hosting-and-joining-at-the-same-pc.55413/

18. TimboSlice480

TimboSlice480 Registered

Yeah any time I changed it from 64298/64299 to 27014/27015, and vise versa, I made sure to change it in the JSON file as well. I have an Asus RT-AC1900P router, by the way, if that helps with anything. There's quite a lot of options under the WAN section, but nothing like "WAN Interface", like in the post you linked.

19. Goanna

Goanna Registered

The only other thing I can think of is to revert back to your original ports, that way your friends can join and for you I'd create a desktop shortcut from your rfactor2/bin64 folder for rFactor2.exe. Then right click on that shortcut=> properties and in the target line at the end add a space followed by +connect 192.168.1.77:64297 Try that, if it doesn't work you may have to use 127.0.0.0 as the IP.
    Edit; just to confirm when you were using my suggested ports your multiplayer.json had 27013 as http port and 54297 as simulation port?

Ari Antero and TimboSlice480 like this.
  20. TimboSlice480

TimboSlice480 Registered

Alright, well, I don't really know how to thank you enough. Somehow that workaround managed to do the trick: [​IMG]

I actually had to make a shortcut in the Launcher directory, as opposed to the one in the Bin64 directory. It didn't seem to do anything when I tried to open it from there.

I'm not really sure what other conditions this may work in, and with how many people in total it can handle, but even with just a few for now is more than enough.

This was also with the original ports I had listed: 54297, 64297, and 64298:64299 by the way.

So ultimately in order to get it to work, I have to:

1) Open the game normally, to get to the 'host' windows
    2) Close the game launcher
    3) Get the car/track combinations all set up, and put up.
    4) Then enter the server using the shortcut in the /Launcher directory, with +connect 192.168.1.77:64297 (Replace 192.168.1.77 with your own IP) at the end of the 'Target' line, and then all is well.

I've noticed the game crashes when I try to advance the weekend from one track to the next (Not for other players though, only me), but that is a minor hiccup for what seems to be the ultimate fix. Hopefully this helps anyone else that may have the same issue at some point in the future.

Big time THANKS!! :D