Released Introducing KartSim!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Tony Irfan

Tony Irfan Registered

No that is not in the pipeline

2. Tony Irfan

Tony Irfan Registered

You are comparing a World Champion to someone not as near to the same level of ability (no disrespect to the driver in mention) on very different track conditions

3. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

@Tony Irfan great that you're here, where can we find a template for the X30 karts?

4. Tony Irfan

Tony Irfan Registered

That is an OK kart which is a faster and uses a different tyre model to a senior X30

5. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

So you deliberately restricted tuning options so people would have to pay more for the "pro" version?

6. Tony Irfan

Tony Irfan Registered

Hi I provided what we have to the rf2 team earlier this week hopefully it is what they need and they can release it soon.

Devin likes this.
  7. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Ball is in our court on that one. Tony did indeed provide us with photoshop files. We're working on it!

Adrianstealth and Devin like this.
  8. Tony Irfan

Tony Irfan Registered

No that’s is not the intention of the consumer product and we do not expect or envisage any of the general public that purchase our consumer product to purchase our PRO product unless they are involved in the professional karting industry!

9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

If it is only the kart sim *PRO SOFTWARE only, and if the price is good for me...... it could interest me (perhaps)

10. Tony Irfan

Tony Irfan Registered

To give everyone some background on the team behind KartSim. We are a team of people heavily involved in professional karting in UK and Europe not a team of modders. The idea came about because there has never been a karting simulation product designed for professional karters and kart teams to effectively help us train in an accurate simulation environment. Whilst there is fantastic content available for the single seater and GT market nobody us ever invested in creating this for karting. We saw a gap in the market as for professional karters and most succesful drivers in any category, karting is the grass roots of motorsport and we understand the importance of good simulation for training and development.

All of our content has been built using the same telemetry data available to professional kart teams and has been tested and verified by professional karters in each category not only British, European and World champions but karters at a an intermediate stage of their development as well. 100’s of hours of testing has gone into our pro product. Our X30 is a professional model designed to emulate the real kart as closely as possible. The rental kart is a bit of fun for the hobby karter based on a corporate rental kart. We have worked with RFactor2 on a consumer version as we wanted to release some of our content for the general public to be able to enjoy. The consumer version obviously does not have as many features or content as our pro version. However it still uses the same physics in the kart models and the exactly same quality in the tracks that have been released in the equivalent tracks in the Pro version at a fraction of the price.

This product has taken us over a year to build and we are very grateful to the team of rf2 modders that we have employed to allow us to bring our vision to life. Over the last year no fewer then 15 developers have worked our pro and consumer product at some stage and we couldn’t have done it without your dedication and hard work. This is also only the start of what we want to achieve and hopefully if things go well there is a lot more to come!

I would also like to thank the whole S397 team who have been super helpful and supportive in helping us bring both our Pro and Consumer product to market. We chose RF2 as our partner as we believed they had the best physics engine available to help us make the most accurate karting simulation product and after having a chance to work with Marcel and his team I think we certainly made the right decision.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

12. Tony Irfan

Tony Irfan Registered

Thank you we will look into

13. Tony Irfan

Tony Irfan Registered

Haha the website was only released today and those are just place holders which we haven’t had time to update and not the real prices. The KartSim Pro Product costs £395 + VAT

14. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Scary bloody place holders. ;)

Tony Irfan likes this.
  15. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Some of you may know me, I am James Mabe, lead developer for the tracks for Kartsim and primary developer of two of the tracks in this package release. If you have any specific questions about the released tracks I can try to answer them.

For those of you looking for more details on the tracks you can visit my facebook page at, https://www.facebook.com/JMVirtualTracks/ for some videos I made for each track. These videos are from back in December so the actual released tracks look a bit different as there was some shader tweaks for the updated real road and real kerb shaders along with the new rain shader as well as IBL wasn't implemented yet when these videos were made but they are pretty close and should let you get a better look at them. The videos on my page are just some scenic shots of the ai running laps on the tracks.

Most of all I am happy to finally see Kartsim make it into peoples hands; I'm proud to be apart of this project. I will be watching to see how people are getting along with the tracks.

16. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Just in relation to the whole ISI kart being unrealistic etc... About two months ago I went karting for a bucks party. I have a bit of experience with 125cc karts IRL (plus many hours in rf2 ;)), so naturally I just assumed I was going to be good at it right off the bat... how wrong I was! Massive under steer through corners and snap over steer under brakes... I couldn't get into a rhythm and was having a lot of trouble flowing through the corners. I literally had less feel for this kart than driving basically anything in rf2... it just felt totally foreign.

Anyway, after quite a few laps, I started to get a bit of feel for it and could push a bit harder. The point between being too slow and not pushing hard enough to pushing too hard and snap over steering/understeering was literally a bees #$@%. I had always thought of karts as being very forgiving and having high grip, but I guess different karts/setups on different track have different traits, this kart felt sketchy to say the least. I walked away thinking that the rf2 karts possibly aren't THAT unrealistic. One area were I think they get it right is the whole getting to the apex and then unwinding the steering and almost sliding to the outside of the track.

I ended up qualifying in P1 and winning the race (ok sorry for bragging lololol), but it took literally every ounce of concentration I had.. often in a sim when I am sucking it's because I'm not really concentrating... the harder I concentrate miraculously the better and more realistic the sim seems to become.

Also, around like a 20 something second lap, I was a full three seconds from the lap record... I don't know how they do it, it was totally beyond me how I could have pushed the kart any harder than what I was pushing.

pkelly likes this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In the context of my vast karting experience (*cough*... one short day in 13HP rentals...) the main issue I find with rF2 karts is entry oversteer (not braking!) when going a little too fast. In real life I did the same thing and understeered off the side of the track - most of the way around the corner in my defence. But I don't know if the ISI kart default setup maybe contributes to that oversteer?

And at the speeds I was going (4 seconds off 'amateur competitive' on a 1:25 lap) oversteer wasn't a thing, except under braking (rear brakes only). Corner-out was understeer city. I suppose if I nailed the entry speed better rear grip might have been more of an issue. But I try to take it easy in the rF2 karts and they still oversteer at entry.

green serpent likes this.
  18. Louis

Louis Registered

did yhey confirmed they are dumbing down? where?

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Who is 'they'? Tony's the one in charge, and he posted saying they aren't. That's what he's referring to.

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Louis, the reply to your question WAS the official statement. By responding to your question he answered it that they are not dumbing down the physics. Ever since this product was announced there has been this backlash against the price, or the physics, and I'm not singling you out. S397 provided the pipeline to achieve the Kartsim. But that team has been totally a separate entity.
    There are two levels of the sim. Number one, which is their main focus. A FULLY PROFESSIONAL PRODUCT THAT PROFFESIONAL/AMATUER KART RACERS CAN USE TO TRAIN AND DEVELOP THEIR SKILLS. The 2nd, a consumer level product that does NOT, repeat NOT offer all the bells and whistles of the Pro package. If you want the fully undiluted Kartsim, the get ready to pony up 400ish Pounds, or Euros, or whatever is in use over there.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018