Released Introducing KartSim!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Karei

Karei Registered

Exactly. I think I'll wait until someone confirms 100% that the new karts have nothing to do with existing rF2 karts.

2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

ok ok... not subjective but objective/factual thing :

THEY ARE REAL DATA KARTS ;)

Tony Irfan likes this.
  3. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

Quick impressions with no real life experience.
    The senior kart is extremely stable in comparison to the RF2 and AMS karts.
    There is no spinning under braking. You know, in these games you can lose the rear really easily under braking.
    Feeling of a lot more grip in cornering.
    God only knows if its better or worse. The RF2 karts personally were really hard at all aspects. The AMS much different than RF2 also.

That tyre load and temp display on the upper left corner of the game screen doesnt work.
    The vehicle status always show the tyre temps aroung 100.

As the files are encrypted you cant see the track mesh in 3Dsimed if you are curious.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

I think karts, much more of any other vehicle are influenced by the surface model you drive them on, so isi karts could suffer from that, and simply from unhappy default setups. This apart, even two simple karts, if they have a different chassis can behave wildly different. I'm no expert but I'm uneasy with people that dismiss them as completely wrong.

Tony Irfan, Nimugp and Adrianstealth like this.
  5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

They are not dumbed down are they?

I thought the original kart contebt releases by ISI was extremely good
    ( I have many hours buzzing round my local kart tracks in real life )

Daytona 675 likes this.
  6. Louis

Louis Registered

Don´t expect official statement confirming this

Adrianstealth likes this.
  7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I’ll await reviews , cheers

If they’ve been made to appeal to the masses then fail -as those masses are busy with codemasters f1 & stuff like that , hardcore sim crowd will not be happy either

My experience of various real karts they can noticabily snap oversteer quite easily
    Also almost un-noticably subtly understeer constantly if that line of the limits is crossed

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Data means nothing, you can plug in all the data in the world, but it won't matter unless the model behaves correctly. That's why practically every sim car needs "dialing in", which is the process of fine tuning (gonna avoid the word fudging) of parameters based on feedback from experienced drivers. Personally I have more trust in ISI/S397 physics than some random mod team, but I'll admit I haven't tried this one yet. I remember reading negative feedback of the ISI karts because they "turned too quickly". In other words, people weren't used to driving a narrow steering range kart with their low force feedback toy wheels. So I would take any such feedback with a pinch of salt.

John likes this.
  9. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

If you are not locking under braking that means you are not using brakes... almost at all. In karts you either brake hard or not at all. High grip is correct, I remember when yesterday I drove X30 and then rental. Rental is EXACTLY the same as real ones which are so crap that they often get loose mid corner. X30 has mega grip as the real one has.

Tyre load and temps are off for simple reason. Have you ever seen a temp sensor on a gokart? No? There you go.

10. caravan_driver

Do you lock under braking with the ISI old karts?
    Maybe I dont know how to brake (no sarcasm).
    With 100 brake pressure in setup should I be able to use full pedal (that telemetry percentage) in karts?

But shouldnt we be able to get these info about load and all in a simulation enviroment?
    Just like with any car in the game.

11. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Yes I did lock up old karts and I do with new ones too. Max braking pressure in setup + properly calibrated pedal both in your profiler and in game + some strength in your leg should be result in full braking potential.

EDIT: Should we be able to get these info about load and all in simulation environment? No. Because if it's called simulation then you try simulating real life and other than hand probes, so called finger thermometers are only ones that can be used but aren't for simple reason. Gokart tyres heat up and cool off so rapidly so in time you get to garage and try measuring them they are already cold. While driving we also shouldn't have any temp indication on LCD which leaves a lot more down to a driver to FEEL if the tyres are underheated, overheated etc. Mastering that is a challenge and great pleasure once you do achieve that.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  12. caravan_driver

So I should brake using 100 brake pedal to brake correctly?

13. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Not being a dick or anything right now just asking: Have you ever driven a kart before in real life? Curious.

Yes using full brakes to lock them is the way to go in many gokarts since almost all use rear brakes only and it leaves a bigger zone of control for a driver to use that extra rotation potential by using brakes and locking them just a bit. Not talking about locking them and drifting along whole corner. More like making the rear end snap away and then use gokart inertia and tyre scrub to direct a kart and slow down further if needed.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  14. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

now I know the karts at my local aren’t the same models as these,or have the same hp or tyres,but they are so easy to spin if you’re not braking in a straight line,even then if you just mash the brake you can do a 180 in a blink of a eye.

I found that out when doing 44mph and braking too hard at the end of the straight,and going backwards through the tyres lol.

Before I started to go karting regular I thought the isi karts were goofy,but now my opinion has changed,they are quite good imho,apart from going over bumps,it seems to take too long to settle back down,and seems too harsh.

I will add I can’t actually remember locking the fronts up at my local,they have either only rear brakes or are so heavily biased to the rear it’s nigh on impossible to lock the fronts.

I’m on holiday till Monday and I’m actually going cold turkey from rf2,can’t wait to get back and see how these feel.

15. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

For those wondering if this is worth it: Long time kart guy and champion here 100% approving. I was only planning to pay 10€ for this but after buying it anyway I was so overwhelmed that I think it was totally worth it.

This is the only kart in a sim that immediately reminded me of the old days when I was out racing every weekend. Perhaps the only downside is the inability to change much about the setup but that's not as bad as I thought to be honest.

The physics are absolutely nailed in every imagineable way. Originally I thought you'd need g-forces in order to control karts, like in real life. So I thought without VR and a motion rig no simulator will ever give me an authentic experience. I was proven wrong. This feels exactly like the real thing, even with only a decent FFB wheel, and it is the only kart simulator in which my driving style works because it's the only one that got physics just right.

Now add VR, a motion rig and the smell of exhaust fumes and you got yourself an almost real kart. The smell of sweat included, because this thing is exhausting to drive! :)

And before I forget, these "other simulators" that I'm talking about include ISI karts. This one is definitely at least one level above those, if not more.

Also I have to add that the tracks are done very well, quality wise they are fantastic and yet I still get unusually high framerates.

16. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Maybe the karts I drive are to underpowered for that technique,because they lose so much momentum using that technique you describe above,the ones I drive are all about keeping momentum up

17. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Will we be seeing the shorter configurations of these tracks in the future?

Adrianstealth likes this.
  18. caravan_driver

Yes but they are those karts that you go with your colleagues. And apart from the helmet you dont even use any protection because they are really slow. So I dont think I can compare.
    With the ISI karts I would lose the rear at the end of the straights with around 90 percent brakes.
    With these new karts I can brake much much harder and later.

19. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

I've done that on a shitty 5.5hp rental kart before so I'm sure it works :p

patchedupdemon likes this.
  20. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

The content looks good, but I think I might have to wait on this one. I just don't drive karts often enough and the tracks just doesn't do it for me for the asking price. I will continue to monitor it if more tracks get added in. If one of my local tracks get added, then it would be an instant buy (Road America go kart track, US Air Motorsports Raceway or Sugar River Raceway)