Interesting how tracks change + RealRoad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minibull, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

The MotoGP riders are at Silverstone for this weekends Grand Prix and after watching the first two practice sessions, it's interesting reading what the riders said regarding the track surface. Compared to last year, a few of the riders say there has been quite a large increase in the bumps on track.
    I found it interesting just in the fact that a track could change so much in one year. One weekend of F1 resulting in a pretty big effect on the surface XD

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/Friday+reaction+Silverstone+Repsol+Honda
    http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/Friday+reaction+Silverstone+Bautista

Kinda reminds me of the comments Tim or someone made regarding laser scanning, that all you can hope for is to have an accurate map of the track at that exact point in time. To then say it is an accurate representation of the track 3 odd years later may be a bit misguided.
    Is there any info available on when tracks were surveyed? It might be interesting to know roughly what year each track is meant to represent.

Also seeing many of the riders commenting on wheelspin. First day on track in near perfect conditions, but lots of wheelspin. Funny that. Interesting to see how that progresses over the weekend.
    That brings me to my next question, is there any timeframe available for when RealRoad will be scaled down? So that rather than after 5 laps with 10 AI showing a fairly dark line, it would take a whole session or more to "come in".
    Can't imagine how pissed some people would be with the grip levels once they tone it down XD

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

3. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Yeah, they need to keep those things off of there. :p

I've always thought that about laser scanning - one harsh winter and the track surface becomes very different.

4. datanode

datanode Registered

Hmm I am confused by this, can you clarify.

Anyway I was there today, judging by the new records set for at least the top 3 it has evolved nicely. The surface has lost its new :) dust / oils. Probably rubbers in better too :)

5. C3PO

C3PO Registered

GT drivers say Silverstone is bumpy too.

6. Bart S

Bart S Member

If real road was real road wouldn't it be interesting if ISI could create the code to make the track surface corrode randomly. Online server operators should have an option to reset just like option for rubber build up.

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

Some of the riders reckon the F1 race a month or so ago may have contributed to the bumps. Huge forces being put into the track by those cars.

Lucky you XD. I'm stuck with my live stream on the other side of the world lol
    Yeah, running at a different time of year certainly seems to have helped the laptimes. Seems sunny and warmish rather than struggling with cold tyres and track.

8. datanode

datanode Registered

Ah right, in that case, every series probably moans about every other :)

Yes I heard them describing the track rippling up in the braking zones as the surface piles up due to the constant forces applied.

It would be a combination of everything. It was probably never perfectly flat anyway, they complained the moment they first used it. A bump in the loop section was the first thing I remember :)

I was actually accredited as a photographer 2007-2009 for several different car series, but have never really had a close look at the new bits of track. Shame, I would like to get back into it, but things change :)

9. datanode

datanode Registered

View attachment 9613

As you mentioned it, I am sure would have liked to have visited the track.

Sorry for off topic and probably not great quality as it is highly compressed after taking it from FB

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013