Interested in racing league for rookies / novice drivers…?

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Riverside, Jun 25, 2016.

1. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

Right, sounds good to me, I'll send you my Steam ID later tonight. I think we could have some nice discussions in that group as well.

2. Krobs

Krobs Registered

I found the BMW 125i the easiest to drive out of the lot, think its the car for me. Looking forward to racing with you guys and discussing car setups. Cheers

3. kelvinw215

kelvinw215 Registered

I would love to join as well. Please let me know the server name! Thanks!

4. Riverside

Riverside Registered

Welcome aboard kelvin. please pm or send your steam id; thanks!

5. Riverside

Riverside Registered

Our next steps

Hello everyone,

Excited to see we are coming together as a truly possible novice drivers league for Rfactor2; as we prepare for the first race of the season we need to clarify a few things and vote over a few others; so, let’s see:

League operations: Races will be operated under www.SimRacing-GP.NET; our friend SRGP has a working structure to host racing series; we will be “The Rookie Series” @ SimRacing-GP

Go ahead and register @ simracing-gp.net so you can start having access to the server for the tracks as they become available for training.

Cars: NGTC/BTCC Mod for the first season

Rounds: We will run 7 rounds and this is the final list of tracks for the first season

R1: Matsusaka (Suzuka) East
    R2: Hockenheim short 2
    R3: Joesville
    R4: Mores short
    R5: Silverstone National
    R6: Brands Hatch
    R7: Mid Ohio

SRGP, do you mind sending links for downloads of the tracks and the NGTC/BTCC mod for everyone to make sure we all have the same? Thanks!

Day/Time: Please vote asap, replying to this post, for at least one of the following options; we are to the point we need to use majority vote to choose:

1. Sat 10am Pacific US – 1pm Eastern US – 5pm UTC – 7pm CEST
    2. Sat 12pm Pacific US – 3pm Eastern US – 7pm UTC – 9pm CEST
    3. Sun 10am Pacific US – 1pm Eastern US – 5pm UTC – 7pm CEST
    4. Sun 12pm Pacific US – 3pm Eastern US – 7pm UTC – 9pm CEST

Vote for as many times as you think you can make regularly; option with most votes will be chosen and round 1 will race on July 16th, if one option on Saturday wins, or July 17th, if a Sunday wins

Practice Server: Server will have the track for the next race set for practice after each race; SRGP will confirm, announce server availability here and at SimRacingGP Forum

Points System: You earn 2 points for showing up to race and finishing last, each position ahead earns 1pt more; no show = no points; We shall vote over how many races would be required to stay on the championship; I for one believe we should not enforce attendance on this first tourney but share your thoughts too.

Let’s please go ahead and vote so we can start practice and set date for Race 1

Cheers!

6. Krobs

Krobs Registered

Track lineup looks good, but how about adding Lime Rock Park no chicanes replacing oval or Mores? It's a fantastic track for these cars, flows very well not too difficult.

7. Krobs

Krobs Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  8. Krobs

Krobs Registered

I vote #4. Thanks for setting league up!

9. Erik Springelkamp

Erik Springelkamp Registered

I tried to join the server, registered at the SimRacing-GP site, downloaded and installed the cars and missing tracks - I think, but the server still said "missing package", but without specifying which one.

Downloading of the packages was a big pain: the links at SimRacing-GP challenge site all failed to download, so I went to look for the mod's original locations. I have spent now two hours on trying to make this work.

How can a group of Rookies all have the knowledge to handle this mod-mess?

Two days ago I tried to ask here if the download locations I had found for the BTCC mods was the correct one, but after posting, I got a message from the forum that my post would be reviewed by de forum-moderators before being posted. And it hasn't shown up since. Are certain links prohibited here?

10. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Glad to see this series taking a good shape :)

@Erik : if your first forum post contains a link, it has to be reviewed... manually. So it may have been lost somewhere in the process ?
    About the "missing package", since others have been able to connect, I'd say it is on your side, probably one of the mod files is not installed. I will try to change the server config, in order to make mod dowload & install easier (result not guaranteed though !)

I admit I have encountered issues to collect these links, but I can tell all the links on the Challenge page are working on my end. Beware that some are .RFCMP files, which can be put directly into your Packages folder to be installed, whereas other are .RAR files from which you need to extract the .RFCMP file.

Series files link (let me know if any issue ; )

Cars :
    Honda Civic BTCC'13
    NGTC - BMW 125i
    NGTC - Chevrolet Cruze
    NGTC - Ford Focus
    NGTC - Mitsubishi Lancer
    NGTC - Toyota Avensis

Tracks :
    Matsusaka
    Hockenheim
    Joesville
    Mores
    Silverstone
    Brands Hatch
    Mid Ohio

The series will be posted on the website in a short time !

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  11. Riverside

Riverside Registered

I am voting for all 4 times; Erik, don't forget to vote!

12. Erik Springelkamp

I'll try again with your links.

(The links on SimRacing-GP all started downloading, but reported a failure after a few seconds, many times over).

Concerning the playing time: definitely Saturday for me, (both times OK), as on Sundays there are often interesting club races on RD for R3E.

13. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

Cheers guys,

good that some interest is going into this, I even managed to do some Hotlapping, even though it isn't the right way to learn a Sim in my opinion, doing stints is way better and increases your consistency.

I vote for No. 4.

I'll be driving the Honda Civic 2013.

14. Krobs

Krobs Registered

Thanks SRGP link worked perfectly, i was missing two tracks originally.

15. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

Hi guys, this looks like a nice way to get some online experience, great idea :)

I wonder if I can get a few questions answered, please:

- can we vote for Day/Time on the Simracing-GP site, or only here?
    - where can we find details of the rules used for SRGP events? (I know it's not a super serious league, but I want to know about track limits, penalties etc. before signing up)
    - when is the deadline for deciding which car we'll drive in the league?
    - I'm an independent driver atm, what's the best way to join up with a team mate? Can someone point me to a forum section for that on the SRGP site, please?
    - I will miss the first round due to being on holiday :( glad it's only 1 week! :D

My vote is #4

Cheers,
    Ran :cool:

16. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Thanks for the link up Riverside. Appears im the orphan as im from gmt +8 which falls between 1am-3am here [emoji24]. Its fine, i'll be on standby in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. lukilord1

lukilord1 Registered

Welcome aboard :)

As we are rather less experienced we will choose the car that suits us the most only. No compromises I guess. So I would say if people choose the same car, they might team up if they wish to. Driving at day time should be best for the Start of this series. Maybe the Finale could be otherwise as a special Event.

Looking forward to racing you.

18. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Hi ran :)

Better to keep it here since it started here.

I will have the series posted later today or tomorrow. Truth be told, my main PC has chosen this moment to suffer issues... So I am left with a notebook wich slows down my workflow.

On track behaviour rules are rather basic :
    - Respect your fellow racers
    - Keep 2 wheels inside the track limits
    - Give room when passing or being passed
    There is a Protest Procedure in case of a problem. The series host (me and Riverside for this one) would discuss the case with the drivers involved to sort the problem out. In my view, penalties should be kept as last resort.

I guess before the first Event is fair enough (I mean the first Event you participate in).

You will be able to find Teams (or create your own) on the website. And if htere are other drivers looking for teammates, you can actually discuss here !

If drivers agree, it is possible to have a compensation system that would count only the 6 best results. So 1 missed race would not have an impact in the championship.

19. Ran Hombres

Ran Hombres Registered

Thanks for those answers lukilord1 & SRGP, that makes things clearer. :)

I like the idea of a dropped score, it gives some flexibility.

20. Erik Springelkamp

No luck with the download links in the thread here.

They start, but fail after one or two second.
    Well, after 20 times continue, I now have the Honda Civic, the only car I didn't download yet, but it was already included in the default ISI content.

Still not allowed to join the online server.

I am going to give up on this.