Intense Stuttering

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by quebec weasel, Jun 22, 2018.

1. quebec weasel

quebec weasel Registered

Hi, I bought rfactor2 yesterday and haven't been able to play it properly due to this issue. The problem is that in game, every 5-10 seconds, the game freezes for anywhere from a tenth of a second to a second, this makes the game completely unplayable. It is not a CPU usage problem as when I check the usage bar does not surpass 50-60% and I do not believe it to be GPU related as I get 100-120 fps everywhere on the track with high settings. I have an Intel Pentium G3258 overclocked at 4.5 GHz (I think) and an NVIDIA GTX 750ti. pls help

2. stonec

stonec Registered

Your CPU is not very good for gaming. In general, quad core is the minimum recommended today, or at least quad thread like the older i3's. One thing you can try is to enable "aggressive threading" from launcher video settings config, it's generally a setting recommended for older CPU's.

The CPU usage bar that is shown in game only tells how the physics part of the simulation is handled. There are other things that consume CPU with graphics rendering. One way to check this is to run MSI Afterburner or Windows task manager while gaming and follow the CPU charts. If even one core is at constant 100%, then you might have a problem.

3. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Do you have a 60hz monitor? If yes, there is no need to go at 100 fps, this can overload your pc (you CPU is not so powerfull) and cause freezes, expecially when there is a drop.
    Cap your framerate at your refresh rate (i.e. 61/63 fps with a 60hz monitor), you can do it through Steam, nVidia, MSI afterburner or rF2 itself (player.json - "max framerate"). I'd check the temperatures also.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, per-core performance is pretty good on that CPU, but dual-core means background processes have more chance of interfering with the game. Could also just be some other task you can disable to fix it.

You may want to try taking the overclock off, actually, just to make sure it's not causing any timing issues.