Intel issues for cpus dating back a decade

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by patchedupdemon, Jan 8, 2018.

1. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

“A fundamental design flaw in Intel's processor chips has forced a significant redesign of the Linux and Windows kernels to defang the chip-level security bug.

Programmers are scrambling to overhaul the open-source Linux kernel's virtual memory system. Meanwhile, Microsoft is expected to publicly introduce the necessary changes to its Windows operating system in an upcoming Patch Tuesday: these changes were seeded to beta testers running fast-ring Windows Insider builds in November and December.

Crucially, these updates to both Linux and Windows will incur a performance hit on Intel products. The effects are still being benchmarked, however we're looking at a ballpark figure of five to 30 per cent slow down, depending on the task and the processor model. More recent Intel chips have features – specifically, PCID – to reduce the performance hit.”

Now in most games there hasn’t been a serious enough decrease in gaming performance from the benchmarks I’ve seen pre and post patches,but I read an article yesterday stating that game that use a lot of virtual memory will be impacted,so I’m gathering that would mean rf2.

Anyone noticed a difference yet,or is there no need to worry

2. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I bet 99% would prefere keep their "chip level security flaw" - oh, the horror! - than lose 30% of CPU performance. That would be a sort of disgrace to Intel, I've been seen company's going to bankrupt for less.

F1Aussie likes this.
  3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Oh you can bet on that, I'm with a processor from 2nd gen, not going to update no matter what lol :D

4. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Daytona 675 likes this.
  5. stonec

stonec Registered

Just curious, how are you able to avoid the update? At least in Windows 10 updates install automatically, and I assume if I ever want to install, say, a new creator's update for W10, I'd be forced to install this one as well, as updates in Windows depend on each other.

The few tests I did with CPU-Z benchmark tool etc., there was no difference in performance. It seems that the 30% figure is from I/O heavy tasks, which should not concern gaming. As long as there isn't a PCI-E vulnerability found, I think rF2 performance will be fine.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Last update I did was the anniversary version I think, I shut down the update service and it just works.

7. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

ceecee likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As @stonec said, the 30% figure being bandied about applied to server type scenarios, very heavy I/O, nothing like home computing or gaming. But the media happily picked it up to get attention. Or they didn't know better, which would be fair enough too I guess.

More game-oriented testing I've seen has shown somewhere between 0% and 5% impact (with more 0 than 5), but older generations more likely to be affected. Probably still not noticeably without studying the numbers though.

OMG! That's it! There is a PCIe vulnerability, and rF2 was patched for it years ago! :p

SPASKIS and Ari Antero like this.
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I have a 4th series CPU and noticed I got the patch on 6/1. I have not noticed any difference but I only game and surf the web on my main pc.

10. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

OK, glad to know. Let's talk about performance PCIE2.0 X PCIE 3.0 then :p

11. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I got the update yesterday,had nothing but stutters all day today,and even web browsing was very slow.
    Turns out that update reset my power settings in windows,and I think that was the cause,will now tommorow when I spend another few hrs on the pc.