Installing/ uninstalling 660

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Murtaya, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Have the uninstall buttons in the launcher stopped working?
    I tried upgrading from a clean 590 to 660 and it failed (first time an upgrade has failed for me), so installed 660 lite over the top and everything seemed ok until I tried to point mod manager to the folder on my network where I keep things. All the mods show up ready for installing but any further click on the mod manager window causes it to stop working.

So I tried to completely uninstall rF2 and start from scratch, the uninstall buttons in the launcher do nothing, if I uninstall using windows or even a 3rd party uninstaller, it says it's successful but all that seems to happen is the shortcut goes and rf2 no longer appears in my installed program list but all the rf2 folders and content remain. Deleting them and reinstalling doesn't help. Anyone got any ideas before I reformat?

I also posted this in the 660 released thread in case you think you're freaking out.

2. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Like you, I also noticed that uninstalling does not uninstall correctly. I had initially tried 660 lite over 590, had problems, then uninstalled using "Programs and Features". While some "core" files were removed, none of the Qt5 files were removed even though the uninstaller said "successful". I think 590 used Qt4 and this may also be related to problems people are having.

Your problem is a bit different than what I and others have encountered. Is your rF2 core installed in "Program Files (x86)"? If so, you might want to try installing the core in a different folder outside of that directory (e.g. "X:\rFactor2"). For security reasons, this isn't a smart thing to do (especially for a program that accesses external networks), but for test purposes, this might help diagnose what's going on. Reformatting certainly doesn't seem like an acceptable work-around.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Did you reboot after windows-uninstall and deleting remaining rf2 folders?

Also, could you not just ignore current install/remaining's and install rf2 on a new location? people use multiple installs with no issues so maybe a fresh one might do the trick.
    I would simply let rf2 install both core and data in the same directory, I currently have everything in Documents for example.

4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I haven't tried anything yet. I drank wine instead, so have been avoiding going near anything technical. I have some things to try now(not right now tho!) thanks guys, yeah formatting seems drastic but I had kind of been toying with trying 8.1 anyway. Certainly seems like a windows 7 64bit SP1 thing as so many others had flawless upgrades.

5. Desmond

Desmond Registered

Any further developments here? My install is still not working as far as MP goes. Any ideas on how to clean the registry of rFactor 2 files?

6. Carlo

Carlo Registered