Ingame and driver anti-aliasing modes (DX11beta)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JetPistol, Aug 13, 2017.

1. JetPistol

JetPistol Registered

Hey,

I've been testing a bit with the latest DX11 beta. Only level 4 and 5 AA modes seem to work ingame for me - level 1-3 either crash right after loading screen or AA gets a reset back to "none". Is this known behaviour?

Also, is there a way to skip ingame AA modes and force MSAA+SSAA or MSAA+SGSSAA through the Nvidia inspector? If so, which AA compatibility bit is necessary to activate it?

2. muz_j

muz_j Registered

AA levels 3 - 5 all work fine for me in RF2. I don't think I have ever used levels 1 & 2.

Regarding overriding in game AA via Nvidia Inspector - I can't say I'd bothered to look for this until you asked about it, but 30 seconds of google would have found this for you:

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/4x-better-graphics-and-way-more-fps-guide.38415/

Overriding AA & AF via the GPU driver works, so Inspector should work fine too...give it a whirl.
    You should note the age of that post, relative to your query (re: DX11), so your results are not likely to replicate what's in that thread.

What GPU are you using?

3. JetPistol

JetPistol Registered

I've seen this thread and that's exactly why I've started this discussion for driver AA under DX11. For years rFactor 2 used to work perfectly for me with driver AA (compatibility bits: 0x000012C1, 0x000112C1) in DX9 mode. Applying these bits via Nvidia inspector makes the game crash in DX11 beta (right after loading screen).

GTX770 SLI here (works flawlessly), latest 385.12 beta driver (same driver AA behaviour with earlier WHQL versions)

Game crashes for me in ingame AA modes "level 1 - 3", runs fine with "none" and "level 4 - 5"

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  4. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Hmmm, ok - that's interesting (for me) to know - thanks.
    I hadn't actually tried that myself.
    I have experimented with normal Nvidia driver level overrides for AA and AF and in the end, I personally decided that the in game settings offered the best balance of quality vs FPS, so I've reverted to not applying much at the driver level, other than the normal settings that I apply to most games (pre-rendered frames, triple buffering, threaded optimisation, vsync and power management).

I'll have an experiment out of curiosity with Nvidia Inspector - but based on your comments, I would expect the same sorts of results as you.

I wonder if it would be possible to find DX11 compatible settings for Inspector, by using another (similar) game's settings...

5. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

I'm not sure what is happening to me.

2 days ago I did 3 things:

- ran CCleaner;
    - installed updates KB4064664 and KB890830;
    - and updated my video driver from 17.4.4 to 17.7.2;

Since then, I'm experiencing this:

- either the sim will hang right after loading;
    - or it will hang at a random time of gameplay

In both situations, audio may still work, and force feedback works all the time, so if I start the car or keep driving when the sim crashes, I can still feel the FFB.

I did a super clean reinstall of the driver, which means I uninstalled the driver with RevoUnistaller and did a powerful scan and deleted everything it could find, then I manually deleted everything related to AMD/ATI on the registry and folders that were left, but it didn't help. I then copied a backup folder of UserData that I copied/pasted into a backup folder right after installing rF2 - I didn't even get in the game, I always do this after installing games, I copy their original config folders. The link for download of this default UserData can be found here.

I then opened the launcher, installed a few of my mods, then entered the game in single player mode, configured the video/audio/control settings, session settings, and exited the game. Then, I copied this UserData configured folder to a backup place. This UserData, which worked just fine before August 12, can be found here.

With a suspicion that my UserData folder was the problem, I started fresh (right after installing the game from Steam, without even opening the launcher, I zipped 3 things, which are the '\steamapps\common\rfactor 2' folder, the '\steamapps\workshop' folder with everything I'm subbed on the workshop downloaded, and the 'appmanifest_365960' file). I deleted the ones already in place, and then unzipped the original backups to their places. Opened Steam, verified the game's files, it was OK.
    Opened the launcher, didn't install any mods, and configured everything but the session parameters. As usual, I copied this folder to make sure only the necessary changes were done, and to restore it later if I needed. Here's the link.

I opened several sessions with dry conditions, with several cars and tracks, and it was fine.

I then opened Imola with the C6 ZR1, and again, all fine. However, I finished the session and changed it to "Rain" but there was no rain. Weird. Then I changed it to "Storm" and finally there was rain.

However, this time the sim crashed.

I'll try driving with antialiasing to 4, I hope there's not a performance impact.
    EDIT: There's no performance impact, but the sim still crashes.

PS: Whenever the sim crashes and I verify it's contents, Steam says 1 file failed to verify and will be redownloaded. A 0 KB file is downloaded.

My setup:

AMD FX 6300 OC @ 4.4 (4.8 when it's not too hot)
    AMD R9 270X Dual-X OC Edition
    16 GB DDR3 HyperX Fury 1866 MHz

Temps are OK, GPU never goes beyond 60 and processor never above 50.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  6. ceecee

ceecee Registered

What mainboard/revision do you have and what are your memory timings/voltage ?

7. stonec

stonec Registered

@JetPistol @muz_j You are not supposed to override anything from GPU control panel with DX11 beta, at least not at this stage, this is what I heard from the developer.

@Amarildo Junior My guess is that the updated video driver caused the problem.

muz_j and JetPistol like this.
  8. Amanda Santini

You mean MotherBoard? Mine's at the latest revision, and memory timings/voltage are all default.

rFactor 2 is on 1108open-beta

Only rFactor 2 has presented me with problems. At first, I could minimize (Windows +D) or Alt+TAB out of it right after pressing "RACE" and it would come back after clicking on it's taskbar button. This is with DirectX9. Then it wouldn't come backup after a few hours of gameplay.
    Then I moved to DirectX11 which enabled me to minimize/alttab and then come back, but then the freezing problem started.

All moderately to heavy taxing games such as Battlefield 3 through 1, X-Plane 10 and 11, Assetto Corsa, Crysis 1 and 2, etc, run fine. rFactor 2, for some reason, doesn't :(

9. JetPistol

JetPistol Registered

Thanks, that's some statement to work with. :)

Not sure how this is related to the topic in any way... o_O But it sounds like an driver issue.

muz_j likes this.
  10. Amanda Santini

:p 2:30 AM post. My apologies for hijacking your thread. I will create my own when I wake up.

I will report the problem to both AMD and S397.

11. ceecee

ceecee Registered

The mainboard/memory info was relevant to my question.
    However, stonec has a good point.
    2 of us are running AMD R9 290 with 17.7.2 and experienced multiple CTD's last Saturday, we normally have a couple in the evening but this was more than the norm.

12. Amanda Santini

Excuse me, but what is a CTD?

13. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Amanda Santini likes this.
  14. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Lol! - there is genuinely nothing personal in my response...but in essence...

cartman whateva i do what i want.jpg

I have over 20 years working in technical IT roles - and I mess with a _lot_ of things I may not be supposed to. What's the worst that will happen...?
    I break my own operating system or game installation. Neither of those bothers me in the least.
    I get unexpected results...something random happens... ?
    Experimentation is one of the core pillars of learning - in my opinion anyway.
    ...anyone else is welcome to do as they please :)

Attached Files:

15. muz_j

muz_j Registered

@Amarildo Junior - as per the (implied) suggestion, roll back the changes you've made and re-test.
    At the least it will help isolate the root cause.

16. Amanda Santini

@muz_j Rolled back to the previous driver, 17.4.4. No problems so far, though performance is way worse than on the newer driver, as it was before I updated it.

I'll keep testing.

17. muz_j

muz_j Registered

At least it's stable.
    You can provide feedback to AMD and maybe it's something they can patch or fix in the next release of the driver.
    You've probably done it already, but have a look at their support forums regarding people with your video card having issues. Some times you get unexpected behavior from certain combinations of software and hardware. There may be a known work around or something someone has figured out to fix your problem.

I had something similar with the last version update of Windows 10 - the Creator's Update.
    RivaTuner Statistics Server caused issues (I can't recall what). I had to disable it to get things working properly. The fix ended up being updating RTSS to the latest beta version of the software. I had avoided the beta version on purpose - but found it resolved my problem.

Amanda Santini likes this.
  18. Amanda Santini

I recall having issues right after installing RTSS, but my hangs don't happen only when I have it enabled and running, though.
    It's just curious how rF2 is, sadly, the only game affected.

I haven't looked up on AMD forums yet, but I will.

BTW I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I was on Windows 10, but after doing everything possible for the OS not to change my video driver when searching for updates, it still did and so I couldn't stand the OS anymore. I could remove all the spyware and have full control over updates, but still it downgraded my driver to a buggy one that was months old and didn't work with Blender + Cycles + OpenCL for me.

Anyway, I think it's not cool that I hijacked this thread so I'll create another one :p
    @OP Sorry for doing this, won't happen again.

EDIT: Crated a thread here. Moderators feel free to delete my posts here.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017