Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Disagree. This thread isn't about technical aspects only from what I see in the official postings, and since the company I purchased from just changed the terms and conditions of my software onesided, it's as good a place as any for customers to say how displeased they are with this move. If ISI doesn't want this feedback here I invite them to say so and give us another topic.

Edit: I think what makes it feel a bit sneaky is that just six months ago there was no talk to stop supporting the Non-Steam version.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
  2. Skan

Skan Registered

The steam version ONLY automatically downloads and installs ISI/3PA content on the first run. It will not attempt to add everything in the workshop, if that's what You are worried about. The full steam install is about 25 gigs. Unsubscribing is not as tedious as You think since there are not hundreds or thousands of tracks and cars to look through.

3. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

Firstly, I do not use Steam currently, I found there business model, TandC's completely unacceptable when it first came out. A quick read now says nothing has changed. Therefore, I was rather disappointed at the original decision to make the game available through the platform, and I very disappointed that we are effectively being forced to give up our licenses to them now.

However, I understand that times move on and ISI most do what it has to as a business.
    As only only play offline I have 2 options now, stay outside of Steam and on the same build or migrate to Steam.
    Perhaps, someone can answer some questions on Steam and perhaps convince me that selling my soul to the devil is actually ok.

1. Much is being made of the automatic updates to new versions via Steam. Is it possible to turn this off?
      It may take several days or weeks for me to finish a race weekend and I don't want updates until I finish it. Alternatively, I don't want to waste my short game time downloading, I'll use the current version till I have time update. Therefore, I want to choose when to update manually.
    2. Do I have to download and have running the Steam client?
      I really have no need for it. I don't play online, I don't have 'friends' I want to chat to whilst playing offline, I shall never be downloading any other games from Steam.
    3. Do Steam bombard you with rubbish trying to get you to buy games? I would be expecting to never hear anything from them or even know they are involved in my rFactor experience.
    4. Do you ever have to register my credit card details with Steam? I'm rather against that for may reasons.

Thank you for your assistance

4. Don Fryman

Don Fryman Registered

You are correct, the are not hundreds or thousands of ISI content in Workshop.
    There are 33 vehicles and 31 tracks among the 131 items now available in the Workshop that we have to sort through to unsubscribe.
    I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for a simpler way to get rid of stuff that we don't want that has been forced on us........

5. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

When i bought rf2 nearly 3,5 years ago there was no talk about steam. When the steam launch hit the news it was ok for me because titles like iracing, il2 and dcs managed their stuff with steam and their own versions. I didn't had to move any of those titles to steam. Now iam forced because if iam not migrating the development of the product i purchased just stops with the next update. Sorry but i have been taken for a ride.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Perhaps you can post this AGAIN in a bigger font?

Many of you are acting like ISI has killed your family cat!!!! So the no-steam version will only have 1-2 updates left.... you still have the game, they haven't taken it away!!! Many of you act like Steam is the devil, have any of you actually tried it?? How easy it is to install and have all your game right there in your account on a new windows install?!?

Some of you, take some deep breaths and actually read the first post which has answers to many of the questions you just need to READ it and UNDERSTAND what it says! Send an email to ISI support if the FAQ doesn't cover it. A post on this forum is easily lost or looked over.

7. smbrm

smbrm Registered

1) How do plugins work after converting to steam? Do they have to be part of the workshop, or just use as usual with current Rf2 ?

Sorry, I missed this in my first read of the FAQ, everything supposedly Ok.

But how about:

2) Will a steam forum eventually replace this forum?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
  8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

1. Yes you can choose what build to run on and it won't update unless you specify. Rolling back is easy to.
    2. Yes.
    3. No.
    4. No... why would you? You aren't buying anything! Even when you do buy they don't store them.

9. Carlos Carvalho

Carlos Carvalho Registered

I have a couple of doubts regarding this Steam migration.

1 - I use multiple instalations of rFactor2, in particular, onde for Stock Car and other for Everything else. This is due to the use of plugins (Spotter) and graphic options. Will i be able to keep using multiple installations of rF2?

2 - In our league we have multiple dedicated servers at the same time. Every one of those servers is running on a different installation because it is easier to mantain and manage a championship. That can be solved with an easier way to create and use multiple player profiles.

Thanks in advance,
    Carlos Carvalho

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

What's the point in that?! You can set up multiple profiles to handle all that!!

11. gpfan

gpfan Registered

Maybe you didn´t understand the question, maybe it was a mistake to purchased a 2º copy of RF2 to support ISI and see the answers like yours instead of trying to help me. I´m not against Steam, i just want to understand what is the best way to solve my problem!

Migranting my lifetime non steam account to steam will i loose my RF2 steam purchase? Is that difucult to understand? Maybe for you it is.......

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Read the FAQ, if you still have questions about your account, talk to ISI support. Do you understand?

Oh look what I found in the rF2 ToS that you all agreed to when installing your copy of rF2 recently:

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Looking to get the isi fanboy #1 cap?

14. unknwn

unknwn Registered

The fact that the changes are legally covered won't make the customers more satisfied with the changes that are unpleasant.

15. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

Cheers Woodee. I don't like that I have to have the client running. My system is rather resource limited so I kill everything I can when running rFactor so hopefully I can kill the client once rFactor has launched but I guess I probably can't.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It was clearly hinted at in the "Steam Q&A" thread from last October (over 6months ago):

Will a non-Steam version continue to be sold?
    We will continue to sell a non-steam version for an undefined period. We may look to wind down new sales on the non-Steam version, but much like rF1, this is probably a long-term transition, if it happens at all.

It appears the "..if it happens at all" is actually happening, ISI have the right to do what they want and what they see best for the future is to support Steam only from the next Build onwards. For some of us we saw this coming so it's not unexpected news at all, for others (like yourself) it may come as a shock but at the end of the day it's hardly a life changing issue...it is just a game!

I agree that those without Steam or those that don't ever want to install it have been hit the hardest, but like many if you gave Steam a go then you'll see it's not the Devil after all but actually a very good gaming platform. If you chose not to install it then fine, you'll still have RF2, it's not like it's going to be banished from your HDD!

I also agree with the few who bring up the large initial install (11gig iirc) and then having to unsubscribe to content and then manually going through the Install to delete the content you never wanted, that's a PITA and could've been handled better, but on the flip side I see ISIs reasoning for this, I don't agree with it but I understand why.

17. Numrollen

Numrollen Registered

Ehm, i hate steam and i love the rf2 launcher tool (beside the dedicated server setup). Why? :( :( More and more games forces the player to steam. What a bad day...

18. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Me too. Hard to download 10gb with just laughable 200 kb. up to now I avoided steam. So let's se, what's the advantages are...at the moment I'm not happy about the change. But let's see

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Launcher is still there currently when using steam version.

You would be surprised how low on resources it is.

20. NightSt@lk3r

NightSt@lk3r Registered

As someone who has over 200 games on steam on an account i've had for over 11 years without a single issue, i support this decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.