Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The download is 12 gigs. When it installs, it automatically installs the content from the cache, which is why it basically doubles.

(same as if you download a 1 gig mod, then install it; you'll have your 1 gig download, plus the 1 gig of installed files)

2. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

thanks guys i will go steam then because i want the updates

3. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Very good news, the profound disrespect shown for users, forcing them to download unwanted content, wasting their disk space and bandwith, made me quit RF2 (and modding) in disgust.

The sooner the better.

Cheers.

4. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

I'm not sure what you mean by "intrusive", everything content-wise can be un-installed and managed manually just like before Steam, if you choose to go that route. However, most users that I talk to out there really enjoy the ease of use Steam Workshop has brought, updates are seamless and require no user intervention, content can be installed and un-installed by simply subscribing or un-subscribing.

And yes of course, the Steam Workshop is something we will expand on and improve, as you mentioned ;)

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Well to be fair, every other Steam sim also forces you to download "unwanted" content. I have 25 GB in my Assetto Corsa folder as well, of which I only actively use around 5 GB. But there is no way to delete this 20 GB and I don't see a lot of AC users complaining about this "feature".

6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Why do you forget to explain the fact that if the "un-subscribed" content is un installed from the game, it still remains in the cache in your hard disk.

May be Guimengo describes this as "intrusive", I don't know if "intrusive" is the right word, but I strongly believe this is an inadequate way of doing things.

If Steam Workshop is so enjoyable and easy to use, why doesn't RF2 on Steam load core game plus two cars and two tracks (new users can play immediatly without any additional task to do), and explain in two words to users how to subscribe to the additional content found in the workshop?

Cheers.

7. Lgel

Lgel Registered

The fact that others vendors do the same to other customers, is no excuse to an incorrect behaviour, the fact that others also waste your money is no accident.

It benefits to hardware vendors and telecos, and yes it costs energy to bring this unwanted stuff to your computer.

Does the fact that many people are thieves justify the morality of theft?

I don't believe so.

Cheers.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That was answered by Marcel (somewhere in this thread I think), they had 3 options (one of which you mention) but they chose to use the "download all content" option, so it would be easier for new users to have everything from the start, as opposed to downloading additional content later. In other words, they succumbed to the n00bs :p

9. Christopher Elliott

I'm not sure why you want to keep arguing this when I just mentioned we are reconsidering the cache, but maybe you didn't catch that ;)

Steam workshop is here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/365960/workshop/

It's pretty straight forward, just browse and sub or un-sub :)

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I doubt new players unfamiliar with the sim would enjoy loading it up first time and hardly having any content. It wouldn't be a very good first impression. I think most players just want to dive right into it, not having to worry about downloading extra stuff after the core has been installed.

11. Christopher Elliott

That's pretty much it yeah, we'll be looking to give more options at install.

12. Lgel

Lgel Registered

RF2 is a very complex simulation, not a child game, if having to worry about downloading extra stuff after the core has been installed is too much for you, better stay off of RF2, you won't enjoy it at all.

If you are a new user unfamiliar with RF2, how long does it take you to configure your wheel, game options, explore two different cars and two tracks?
    Plus if you want to see quickly other content, it as easy as 123 with the Steam Workshop, isn't it?

And if RF2 new users are expected to be so impatient, at least give users two choices (full install, or custom install where you choose the content you want to download), it's not a very new idea in software.

Why did you have this option on the ISI site?

Because it costs money to pump GB of data to users, and ISI were not interested in wasting their own money.

It costs equally money for Steam to pump data, do you know who pays for it? In the end the customer, have no doubt of it, directly or indirectly.

Cheers.

13. Christopher Elliott

I think this thread has really run it's course, it was intended for users to get info on the switch over to Steam, which has already happened.

So I'll close this thread and leave it up as a reference. If you need further info please post elsewhere or contact support, thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.