Indycar issues and questions- question RE damage and probs RE pit stop options

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by Guy Moulton, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

There are a couple problems with pit stops. These are not bugs, they are ISI dev oversights. Maybe you aren't familiar with Indycar. We can't change things in the encrypted .mas files but they are very important.

1) tire pressure is adjustable in Indycar. On an oval this is vital
    2) in Indycar they can choose to change 1,2,3 or all 4 tires. Late in a race this is the difference between winning and losing and no, it is not equal for all due to differences in driving styles.
    3) in the pit stops I cannot choose any other tire compound than the ones I started with. In Indycar on RC's they are forced to use both compounds in dry weather races. We can't run simulated seasons with real life rules unless we can choose either compound.

The question is whether damage to gearbox or individual gears or fuel system is simulated. I did a 61 lap offline race at iDT Toronto and after about 20 mins of running (this happened a couple diff times) in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, at various times at low revs I lost power. It wasn't my gas pedal (I run DMP with the pedal position widget) but it felt like I completely lost fuel pressure. It was always around a corner and it felt like the fuel pooled up in the corners of the tank (if it had an old fashioned fuel tank with no fuel cell) away from the fuel pump pick up. It was not every lap but it did happen more often if I let the revs get too low. Early in a race this will not happen at all no matter how low the revs get.

2. FeedEmBeans

FeedEmBeans Registered

I watch every IndyCar race. I don't recall a situation with this car where less than four tires were changed. There is no competitive advantage to it. The car has hydraulic jacks and four crew members changing tires simultaneously. It generally takes longer to add fuel than it does to change four tires. So, they change all four. They may do a splash and go and not take any tires, but never 1, 2 or 3. In NASCAR they sometimes change two to strategically save time. If I'm wrong I'd like to see a video clip of it.

Thanks,

Beans

3. aldrew

aldrew Registered

I agree with Beans on the tire change, I don't recall ever seeing an IndyCar team change anything but four tires, when changing tires, but Guy is right about changing compounds in pit stops.

4. atlantakat

atlantakat Registered

Does the "run both tyre formulations" rule apply to Indy?

The tyre strategy always gets discussed on the broadcasts of all the other races during the season, but I don't recall it being mentioned by the announcers during the 500. I attend the race and sit across from pits and have never noticed different tyre markings. In a 500 mile race, I am not sure that running the slower compound is required (or that there even are multiple compounds available). Does anyone know for sure?

As for changing less than 4 tyres, I remember seeing it (years ago) on short fills at the end of race but agree there would be no reason to do it on a long fuel run as it has been many many years since it took longer to change tyres than to complete refueling.

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

On RC'S they are required to run both compounds.

Another ISI oversight is the fuel tank. It's the wrong size.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ISI/Tim has said already since the Indycar release that they have yet to implement proper Oval/IndyCar Rules, try a little patience!

7. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

Just because you don't ever see it doesn't mean Indy car rules don't allow it. Some things are just down to team choice. Just cos everyone does it doesn't mean they have to, and therefore it shouldn't be implemented in rF2 rules.

8. dradecki

dradecki Registered

It's allowed, but as soon as the cars got up to speed they would spin out. The grip levels would be so massively different and open wheel cars are very sensitive to this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
  9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Maybe people are thinking of Lemans.

Audi and 2 other teams I saw swapped one tyre a few times.

They did the same other years, watch Truth in 24 II

So if not for IR it is needed for Lemans if you want authenticity

Personally I think it is a bit over the top.

10. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

There is little reason in the virtual world to change one tire on a car where each corner has their own individual wheel changer. It's no faster to change one tire than it is to change all 4. You don't see it not because it's dangerous or makes the car impossible to drive (though with the Firestones since the DW12 came along you want tires as much as you can get them) but because it's literally pointless.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

F3 you can change one side or fronts or rears and save 25 seconds.

Though when you do only fronts or only rears it only lifts one side of the car off the ground.

lopl

You don't make realistic gains and loses from worn or fresh tyres vs pit stop times unless you run long distances anyway so for most people it is going to be wasted on.

12. qwertyjohn

qwertyjohn Registered

I would like to see any official confirmation if ISI plan to correct these small limitations. Our championship discovered same problems described in the first post.

13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Why not just give the option for 4 or 2 and left or right, Don't tie the code in knots, then the code can cover most road and oval racing. Indy, Nascar, Arca, etc.

One never wastes time on pitlane changing 1 tire. You at least do two, right or left, to access the extra grip. 1 tire would be the worst pit strategy (if you plan on racing).