Released INDYCAR IR-18

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 2, 2022.

1. vava74

vava74 Registered

The understeer is a result of the base setup. Many drivers on the S397 Discord have already commented that it can be corrected quickly.
    I would not take the driving yesterday as reference for nothing, as none of the drivers had any experience with this particular car with a minimum notice and most no experience at all with rF2.
    Grosjean absolutely loved it and told everyone they should check it out and Conor Daily commented that it felt proper simracing and enthusiastically mentioned the ability to go wheel to wheel for nearly a whole lap with Newgarden... and we are not talking about someone with any inclination to praise rF2.

If there was anything really specific to criticise was the fact that you could machine gun downshift.
    This was highlighted by Palou, who is a hardcore iRacing fan, and it should have been something easily avoidable and is something much needed to be corrected.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    avenger82, Kelju_K and Sim_Player like this.
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Romain's lap time was very good compared to what I could manage! I was really hoping I was going to see him go to the setup page but he never did. He was comfortably doing 1:11, I'm not fast but not terribly slow either yeti after 70 laps yesterday all I could manage was 1:13 after playing with arb's and suspension.

3. Schumi

Schumi Registered

Base car settings are terrible for all aero packages, but everything is solved in just a few clicks.

4. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

This 100% !!
    I have noticed this is the way to get faster times in any car really, in rf2.
    Personally, I just cant do it. It breaks the immersion for me so badly.

sg333, vava74 and Lazza like this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The only thing worse would be downshift protection that pops up in the middle of the screen :p

One distinction: the rapidity isn't the issue, as much as the rpm the downshifts occur. I remember years ago when the Ferrari virtual academy (?) came out, and the real drivers got through almost the entire braking zone before hammering through the downshifts - but of course didn't overrev at that point.

avenger82, Kelju_K and vava74 like this.
  6. wrff.tiger@gmail

wrff.tiger@gmail Registered

I'm loving the IR-18 the cars look great and the racing is fantastic. One wish is that push to pass activation indicator and push to pass remaining would be shown on the steering wheel as opposed to having the pop up in the bottom left corner. It is very distracting to try and read the push to pass messages in VR.

Elcid43 and vava74 like this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I've only tried the p2p once & I'm not 100% confident I know how it works. Do I hold the button down? Is it a pre-set timed toggle? Does it work like DRS and stay active til I hit the brakes?

8. wrff.tiger@gmail

wrff.tiger@gmail Registered

Yeah, that is another thing I'm not 100% about. I believe you hit the button and it is activated and gives you 15 to 20 seconds of extra horsepower. You can tell the difference. But it is still not clear if you have to hit the button again to deactivate it to reset it. Sometimes I hit the button thinking I'm activating Push to pass and it gives me a deactivated message. That is the original reason I decided to post this about the steering wheel it would be very helpful to have a clear indication on the wheel indicating when push to pass was active and how much push to pass you had remaining so you could better manage it during your race. It is very difficult to race while having to look all the way down and to the left in VR to read the messages.

memoNo1 and vava74 like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You have 2 options - you can pull the upgrades file out of the vehicle mas (in rF2\Installed\Vehicles) and work out whether the track you're driving matches one of the configurations defined in there, and then see what it uses.

Or, knowing the basic parameters used to define it, a few tests should tell you how it's configured.

e.g. @davehenrie when wrff says that pressing it again says deactivated, you know that you don't need to 'hold' it - you just press and it activates, and you press again to deactivate. Just a couple of presses once you're up to speed will tell you that.

Then, to find out whether it's timed or not, check the time remaining (assign a key for that), activate it, then press the time remaining button - or, give it ~20 secs and see what it says then. You'll soon work out whether it's jumping down by 10, 15, 20 seconds, or there's no minimum time and you can activate and deactivate it (probably by holding in that case) and so it only goes down by the time you activated it for.

Here's a thread with the options sort of defined, and Bill has pasted out some of the track/oval configurations as well: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/push-2-pass.71309/

memoNo1, davehenrie and vava74 like this.
  10. vava74

vava74 Registered

I assume that the downshift protection that prototypes and, presumably, the IR18 has, is connected to RPM rather than to a set time delay, however, even if inaccurate, a software locked minimum time delay would curb the abuse which being in a game allows in the current format.
    Felix Rosenqvist clear got the hang of it and was machine gunning down to 1st on the tight corners and using the 1st gear braking and back kick to give an extra bit of rotation.
    Grosjean could not get it done, in spite of trying, so there is a significant level of technique involved. But surely, not something you can do on the real car as that was rejected by Palou.

avenger82 likes this.
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

But restricting the 'per shift' time won't stop you going crazy early the first time - and then each one will also be crazy early, unless you limit the rate so much that shifting at a normal/realistic time on the first one leads to you shifting really late by the end.

It's really not the rate that's the problem.

12. sg333

sg333 Registered

I havent been running these cars at IMS, but I notice no one ever seemed to lock up, which I am really struggling with. These guys were just stomping on the brakes and the cars stopped seemingly in their own length. My braking length seems to be twice that distance and I'm still locking the tires up

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  13. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

This!
    The gearbox can withstand abuse that just is not possible irl, and that is as much of an issue, and thus contributes to the machine gun downshift issue making it what it is now.

How to fix it is another thing tough... if you dont model damage to each gear to almost down to individual spurs it is very hard to get right, so that the damage model doesn't introduce unrealistic and unwanted damage in places that you would be fine irl.
    Tough one to fix for sure. but even damage model to the gear box that is not perfect, would be better than what we have now. Surely it could be done, but at what cost? cpu's are already struggling to run the game...

vava74 likes this.
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well, the downshift protection would be a simple 'fix' to at least stop wild exploitation.

Engine damage could use another couple of parameters, still using the rF1 system. And that's pretty simple stuff, really nothing on top of all the tyre lookup and live suspension stuff going on.

(drivetrain is a bit of a cliche at this point, but again wouldn't need to be stupidly complex)

Kelju_K and vava74 like this.
  15. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

I would imagine that downshifting like that would overrev the engine and should lead to a failure rather quickly, no? I find the damage on most cars to be rather insufficient. To me, realistic damage really adds to the fun. Consequences make you drive differently.

Kelju_K and vava74 like this.
  16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, unfortunately you end up having to compromise when modding, to avoid stupidly bulletproof engines when not abusing them badly, while killing engines that get abused. Needs a little more flexibility for sure.

vava74 and Elcid43 like this.
  17. vava74

vava74 Registered

I noticed that some mods do have those settings at a level that a completely blown downshift craters the engine, which I find it to be far more realistic than the reverse.
    Just recently I gave a spin to a Tommy78's old mod, the Seat Leon Cup car and as I was mostly abusing the car to get a grip on how it handled violent driving, around lap 8 or 9 I blew the engine on a botched/rushed triple downshift into a chicane.
    I must say that I felt really happy about it.

Kelju_K, Elcid43 and Lazza like this.
  18. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

The Devbot open wheel mod in the workshop is perfect, in my opinion. Very realistic when you crash! Also, the 1986/88 F1 mod (I think) is incredible with damage. I came around a turn once and it was like a plane crash, parts everywhere and cars smoking!

It bums me out to crash the Indycar at 200mph and the car doesn't come spart the way it would in real life.

buzz hornet likes this.
  19. vava74

vava74 Registered

Indeed, Devin (Braune) made a terrific job with that car, which reminds me that I should give it some burn again, this weekend.

2ndLastJedi and Elcid43 like this.
  20. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I am really loving the new Indycar but I have noticed a little issue. If you have the car details set to low as I do for the AI the drivers helmet is not visible from the outside camera until the car is a lot nearer. It would be good if the viewing distance of the helmet and also the aero screen glass could be increased as they both pop in noticeably. You may also notice a reflection glitch on the car body by the left front suspension. I don't know which LOD model this is but it could be caused by overlapping vertices in the UV mapping, common occurrence that I have to fix with the CART 98 update I am working on.

[​IMG]
    Another note is this was advertised with having all of the 2021 liveries and drivers, but most of the liveries are 2022 and Sato and Johnson are missing and some of the liveries are generic. Maybe more are to come.

I also agree that it would be useful if the Push2Pass information was displayed on the steering wheel as I am sure it is in real life along with the weight jacker setting. I think S397 should add some more options for the digital gauges that are available to use in the cockpitinfo.ini, as they are quite limited at the minute and really affect the quality of the displays for most cars.

If anybody was wondering what the track specific restrictions setting does in the showroom, it seems to just change the maximum seconds of Push2Pass available and how long a push lasts. Presumably in real life it was adjusted for different race lengths.