Released INDYCAR IR-18

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

i did it from dead stop, 100% throttle let go of clutch then 180 spin. i also did continuous dounuts.
    maybe check if fake help/assist are ON or not in settings (not talking about in-car assist here, although this car has none but wanted to be clear).
    or something wrong with hardware ?
    or maybe by accident if u have power differential set to extremely low values 10% or below u will spin inside tyres for days no burnout possible this way, that was fun experience to test for me.

regarding getting rear slide during normal cornering , i have no problem with that as well....hell if setup is not right u are getting rear end out even in 5th gear corner(not necessarily due to power at such high gears).
    this car has highest setup options available in RF2, you can make it extreme understeer or extreme oversteer in every corner , doesn't matter if its a slow, medium, fast corner....no problems.
    i would suggest making a video.

2. Marc Bolger

Marc Bolger Registered

I'm using a Fanatec Club Sport V2.5 wheel. Paddle shifters, I don't use clutch so this seems to indicate a clutch issue adjustment or something I need to be doing that I am not doing then? This is good news.
    I'll look closer and get back. Thanx!

3. Marc Bolger

Marc Bolger Registered

Well... I turned on my clutch in game settings. Bumped up my differential to about 60 & 80% from 11%
    I can spin donuts now, but I am a bit confused in a minor sense because like you mentioned, I push my foot pedal on my club V3 pedal clutch, then hit the gas , release clutch and spin silly. But I looked up indy cars and they seem to have a clutch in older models but newer model cars have the paddles. I can't tell if that means they don't have a foot clutch or what? I tried looking it up but get a answer to read I can't quite understand so I'll look at it further. I was watching a race of Indy from this year and Colton Herta was stuck in the pit and they were having a gear box issue. Colton says over his mic, I'm pushing the clutch but I can't get it in neutral. They were done at that point. So I wonder if modern day indy cars like this IR18 have a floor clutch or just paddles. Where is his clutch? I was thinking only paddles that's why I had my clutch turned off because I was thinking it's a more modern electronic situation wired in similar to F1? But yeah it will spin more out of control now and I have a more aggressive throttle action which I was wanted to experiment with in all my ignorance. LOL Thanks.

Simulation_Player likes this.
  4. Simulation_Player

glad i could help. don't know too much about indycar , looks like they have clutch behind steering wheel. maybe auto-clutch wasn't working properly ? idk i never use that. I think auto-clutch is when you don't want to use clutch, basically a fake assist.

5. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

The real IR18 has a hand operated paddle for the clutch.

What do you mean you turned off the clutch in the game?

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

F1 cars are lighter, have peakier & more powerful engines. But you certainly should be able to whip the car around. Take a look at just about any race at Long Beach where drivers often escape into the runoff area after the main straight and spin around to get back at it.

7. Marc Bolger

Marc Bolger Registered

The Indy wheels are different :
    There are paddle clutches on each side under the shift paddles, where in formula, I don't know if they have that too.
    Formula :
    So... I still don't quite understand if drivers can just hit shift paddles like we do in our game , or do they have to work the clutch paddle when ever shifting? Or are the clutch paddles used for getting the car in a different gear in some sort of other situation. When the car is in high speed the clutch is controlled electronically I think......... "?"
    "Traction Control Override" Illegal in F1 racing according to a book I am reading. According to rFactor 2 it is used if you are cornering and press a assigned button for that while cornering it helps correct the car. "Cheating"? I'm learning to drive and trying to acquire skills so I turned it off and left it blank.
    Do any of you guys use Head Tracker? TrackIR v5 ? I connected mine back up from my flight sim days and in EA F1 22 it blew me away. Nice difference. AMS 2 I wasn't all that impressed with it. Haven't tried rFactor 2 yet.

8. Marc Bolger

Marc Bolger Registered

Here's my TrackIR v5 in F22
    It's pretty cool difference for me.

pkelly likes this.
  9. Marc Bolger

Marc Bolger Registered

Now I'm even more confused. LOL
    I'm gonna try the IR v5 in rFactor 2 today with INDY I have much to learn as you can see here though. I like looking up real lap times on record and I try to shoot for that. I have my work cut out for me! The Monaco Track is cool! One of the hardest listed in history too.
    But I have found if I practice on that, then when I get to another medium or easy rated track, I find it helped build me up.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Most top tier race cars like F1 or Indy only use the clutch when starting from a standstill. Once underway, all up and down shifts are managed by the transmission & engine electronics(by that I mean AFTER the driver clicks the paddle). The rF2 transmission is not the most sophisticated, generally instead of building a new set of code to match advances in transmissions, they have just massaged the current numbers to mimic various transmissions.
    Since we now have an improved Traction Control system, the need for the override might only occur when stranded. If your TC is bogging down the car when exiting a corner, you can manage that by turning down your TC setting. Michael Schumacher was famous for making TC/Brake Bias/etc adjustments during each corner, some corners more than one adjustment.

Eric Rowland likes this.
  11. Marc Bolger

Marc Bolger Registered

AAHhhhh ok.... Nice piece of information here alright! Thank you. On that note I wonder if iracing's Indy car would be more up to par?
    I'm not really ready to jump into online competing and all, but I have seen some vids where guys state that the Indy car in iracing is a really good thing. One guy says it's iracing's best ride, have you seen that one? But man thanks for helping me out with my shift paddle confusion and why rF2 Indy is sluggish. Fun still but a bit draggy? Yeah I'm reading this F1 book titled "Speed Read F1 The Technology rules and concepts key to the sport" by a Stuart Codling? Man it's loaded with info. It states that TC is illegal.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You read that correctly, TC IS illegal, but each year, engineers try to find ways to hide TC-like control somewhere in the engine or electronics. When teams time opponent cars through almost every corner and one team is consistently quicker accelerating, then the rumors begin.

13. Marc Bolger

Marc Bolger Registered

Man I've noticed how teams seem to try to get around the race stewards at the drop of a hat from what I'm also reading. Sometimes in that context I really scratch my head and wonder about F1. Like the big evil empires. Seems like some of the circles are so strung out, last weekends race did you hear that radio transmission in Brazil? " I don't want you fighting him, "? the driver wouldn't answer him either LOL
    Then I hear him say, you can pass him but I don't want you fighting him, is that understood... it was kind of funny. Team mates
    But it kind of makes me think, ya know, you can see a guy win a race and think wow what an incredible run, but maybe he had so much assists it wasn't that incredible. "?" Victims of technology?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's a control ECU. You're talking about 20 years ago.

Bill Worrel likes this.
  15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Wouldn't surprise me, but I thought I had read something about the last year or two where one team was being accused of TC. Oh well.

16. Simulation_Player

you right, alfa romeo was accused on TC like system 3 years ago. they got caught in 2019 Hockenheimring. i don't know full details but thats closest TC like thing F1 got "recently"

davehenrie likes this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No offense meant, but I think you're skimming the surface of a lot of this stuff and misinterpreting. The radio you're talking about for example - they were talking about passing the car in front, not the teammate behind.

18. Marc Bolger

Marc Bolger Registered

Ok ...yeah it was still kind of funny anyway. He didn't answer him either on that little given order. Hey, what was Max's ordeal? Yeah, often I don't know what I'm talking bout.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is all off topic, but they ended that little exchange on the same page - he races the car in front, lets his teammate through later. And that's what he did.

*edit to keep sort of on topic, I'll answer this I think Dave missed (he got the rest):

Traction Control Override turns off traction control while you press it. If you're running TC and you don't want it right now, you press that button. It's used mainly for - tada - spin turns (because TC can make it hard to spin the car around, since TC's job is to stop the driven wheels from losing traction). Not while driving around the track, for sure. Definitely not an assist or any kind of cheating. I'll have to read the description in rF2, if it's anything like you've described it's misleading.

**final edit: so the description actually mentions using it on track, but at least doesn't describe it in any way as an aid or help (it says you need to be more careful, since you're disabling TC).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  20. Marc Bolger

Marc Bolger Registered

Ok Thanx. It's all good. It's racing. It started from enquiring about real mechanical function within cars for our sims, then it lead to some real world race situation. Not too far off topic, and...... but wait there's more....... LOL I found the lost beloved answer I was seeking at that.
    So the forum served it's bloody purpose mate. Now it's time to go do some laps.