Indy car and IMS Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, May 24, 2014.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hi all

I just can't remember the line in the ffb .ini file to adjust downforce effect on ffb

eg increased ffb whilst at speed (in downforce cars)

anyone remember which line it was ?

2. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

ISI you can be proud with this content release. IMO the gap in terms of visuals now is closed.
    Track IMS (Road course):
    -Never before I got this feeling of speed on a road course with open wheelers.
    The external sounds are excelent.
    -The fps performance according to the last released ISI tracks seems to be on the same level regardless I had to reduce the settings because on the end of start finish straight the fps impact was to big with my common used setting.
    I think the reason are the big buildings on the right and left side and depending on daytime the amount of shadows . After switching back to enviroment and track reflection to off my old settings give me good results around 60 fps (I cut on 63 fps)

- On the IMS 2014 Road course the pit seems to be in the backside concret area maybe it depends on my setting or on the track detail (ATM I use medium) but the texture of the concret looks a little bit to grey under some certain circumstances (cloudy).

- I'm very happy and satisfied with this content release very well done :)

DW12 Road config (not tried out the oval ATM)
    Thirst thing I noticed was that the car is very stable (default setup) after tweaking and trying out the additional ISI setup and reading again the profile I started to drive the car more aggresiv and from this point it was a different expirience.
    I love this deep into the corner braking on the edge of slip grip and also the cornering.
    IMO this different feeling (some people here describe this as to staple) comes from the tires because they allow more sliding witout overheating then Formula tires.
    So yes the car is easier to drive if you do some sightseeing laps :D but if you (I) push the car to the (my) limits it is far away from stable.
    The gfx look of the DW12 is outstanding same as F3.5. For me this are the best looking mods ISI ever had released.

All small issues I noticed have been reported from others.
    Nothing additional from my side.

Good times for rF2 come on ISI ride the wave :)

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I gotta say, the first time I drove that car out of gasoline alley, I got goosebumps. The way it's modeled and everything is awesome. I did some laps before the 500 yesterday and it was really cool to experience the subtle bumps and variations the track has and see/feel what the drivers had been talking about in interviews all week long- like the dip at T1. It's not much until you're going 220- then it is a BIG DEAL.

4. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Regarding FPS at Indy... they are actually lower than Silverstone for me. I can go by "The Wing" with a field of 13 FR35 in front at 45FPS, but going trough the Start/Finish at the Oval with 13 DW-12 in front I'm down at 35. Which does seem a bit unusual because in general the area is smaller?

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

had a try with the oval ( with oval pack ) such high speed action, a totally different experience to road, no problem with the downforce here as the cars moving at such very high speeds, want to try online later!

seriously hoping that the road pack is slightly amended ( if that's what the over-stable feeling is due too)

happy days

p.s I'm running on low track detail only across the board for that extra fps

6. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

i always thought that F1 car is the most technologically perfect open wheeler in the world. Last year it had the same horsepower as Indy cars, a lot more downforce and yet in rF2 that car is soo much more difficult to drive and keep the power under control.

Indy car is twin turbo, F1 was naturally aspirated. Turbod engines are way more difficult to drive because of their tricky power distribution thruout RPMs and turbo lags.

Why is that? the Indy car feels exactly how i would expect iRacing to feel, or AC. To loose controll in this one has to really try hard, i have never had so much grip in any rf2 car i have driven, leaving me thinking it must have extreme amout of downforce, but why is it so extremelly fast even on road course spec than? It reaches 300km/h with so little efford that it feels like it would outrun F1 cars of any era for its breakfast.

Can somebody here try some race on some circuit? FISI vs Indy car? To my knowledge Indy car shoud be significantly slower

7. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

Im sorry. I am going to vent. Maybe someone can set me straight. I haven't been on rF2 in a while. Just the last couple weeks for the new cars.

I just tried Indy 2014 GP in the rain with the Indycar. How the #$%! do you drive in the rain! I know its difficult but it is like an ice rink at slow speeds. Cant throttle at all. Even trying to go ultra slow I spin. Probably me.

The other thing is multiview. It is just terrible. I know that there is more rendering done but I think this needs to be an ISI priority. The frames are basically cut in half. I can lower settings to where it is terrible graphically and the frames still suck.

Sorry for some OT here but I always stand by ISI but this is something I use in every sim and rF2 is by far the lowest frames I have seen.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Put wet tyres on? Possibly bring tyres up to temperature slowly?

9. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

Have wets on. I think I jumped the gun. I think because I was trying multiview in the rain my frames were so low that I was getting frame lag.

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Takuma Sato - running in 3rd place, got too close behind another car:

Lost front downforce which sent him outside of grippy racing line and that was it. Aerodynamics is one thing, but road surface is another important factor. Forget about these for a moment and it may cost you your race.

That's pretty much how my last Indy 500 race has ended - we were running it on rF1 and I brushed the wall between turn 1 and 2.

I'm guessing two sections of the wall, from separate GMT files meet there, so apart from parallel wall, there are perpendicular polygons there. It's probably a flaw in collision system itself - not detecting which contact came first - with parallel or perpendicular polygon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  11. speed1

speed1 Banned

Does anybody know the current top times from the oval ? I was a bit tired but i stuck at 0.40.xxx yesterday night and couldn't improve further on naturally progressing track in a lot of short runs about 6 turns. Don't know how it is with my own setup and rubbered track but it seems as it was my or the cars limit with that given combination for now.

I don't know the qualification times of the Indy series on the oval but it looks like as if there is a lot of potential when the conditions are better.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not in the B660 core.

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

ISI- can you turn off blue flag penalties on the ISI official Indy 50? Someone can be 1000 feet behind and you get a blue flag. By the time you get out of a corner lift and they get through, you get penalized. Make it warning and no penalty, the track is just too fast.

14. 88mphTim

How are you/they differentiating between driver input and car output? You can't.

Many drivers will constantly saw at the wheel to feel out the grip they have, or even to induce oversteer to bring the car around, that is nothing to do with correcting the car. Again, I am not saying anybody is wrong, but using video footage as a means to determine handling as absolute fact is purely ludicrous. Whether you're saying rF2 is wrong or rF2 is perfect. You can't.

How is it that two drivers can go the same speed around a turn and one spin, when often within a team they'll share setup info? Driver input. Not car output. Honestly guys, the videos might give you an idea, they won't give you facts either way.

15. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

FISI on tracks like Silverstone, Bahrain, Melbourne should be around 3-4s (but on some occasions it might get down to 2 s) faster than DW12. DW12 feels so fast because of rather strong turn in after hard braking. You can dive into a corner quite late and still make it quite easily, braking stability is very very good. Traction is immense. That's where it starts to feel like it could outrun FISI. Mid corner speed is where FISI eats DW12 for breakfast. ;)

FISI is just harder to master that's why it feels slower for someone who hasn't mastered FISI yet. FISI is a killer, I mean real monster when you get everything right. DW12 is so driveable that it is easier to run fast with it.

How driveable? On the night it was released I joined a server and drove for the first time on RC14. The only knowlage of the layout I had was from several days ago when Tim posted a video of him going around that layout. I've seen it once. Once and yet I finished in the top and won few more races after that with total ease. It is just really easy to drive, ofc mastering it is more difficult but no way near as hard as mastering Marussia for example, that gives you great amount of confidance and let you get away with minor mistakes so that you can learn quickly, very swiftly. I believe during those races I was able to run low 1:07 and mid 1:08s on RC14 with almost default setup. Just lowered wings, tweaked gearbox and ever so slightly changed brake bias.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong. Maybe there IS too much grip I wouldn't mind it being a bit more difficult but if it doesn't happen I won't complain really. Why? Becasue it is a lot of fun for me to drive it. Sense of speed is great and creates some great racing. I even screwed up few of my starts online and moved over so people could overtake me and let me have some fun fighting with others. For me it is more fun and more important than winning. Having fun. :)

16. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I know next to nothing about these cars so I will just say that they sure are convincing in general physics-wise. I was surprised to be able to WOT in 2nd out of corners but maybe I should be in 1st gear? No idea. But 1st seems too short and 2nd seems too tall and evidently unable to make 2nd shorter but IIRC I think I can make 1st taller maybe that is what I should do.

Regardless these things are VERY fun, especially at flowing tracks with lots of high and middle speed turns.

I've only been driving the road model and I took the 'racey' setup and then dropped the rear wing to 25 degrees to match the front and :eek: fun stuff!!!

17. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I really had no use for rolling starts before this combo.

But damn, it's the most epic thing, the moment the Pace Car goes off and everyone starts running up. I'll giggle like a little girl if we get three-wide.

Only downside: Right at green flag all cars jump onto center lane, it's like a magic ballet zipper thingmy.

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Sounds like a rolling start alright! its a bit iffy in rfactor, never really worked smoothly, cars, even real drivers cars seem to jump somewhere upon green. not sure what's it about. maybe track related?

btw there's rolling start rules in the rfm as well.

19. 88mphTim

Yeah I think right now it's looking for the racing line, which down the main straight is in the middle/left of the straight. Needs core changes to work right.

20. speed1

speed1 Banned

Agree. I can't as a master of mechanics but some can. :)