Increase poly count of rfactor 1 track for real road.

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by negb, Mar 7, 2014.

1. negb

negb Registered

Ok I have been researching on how to increase poly count of the race surface to be used with real road and I just can't seem to find anything on this. I see plenty of tutorials out there to decrease the poly count but that's about all I can find. I'm still learning about 3dsmax and have found modifiers like turbosmooth but the pattern looks incorrect from what I see in other conversions. Could anyone shed some light on what I need to be doing to get this correct?

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

In the process of this myself. I'm deconstructing the track to a center line with cross-sections, and my first go at recreating the surface will be with a 2 rail surface using NURBS. I could do a quick and dirty loft, but I'm also trying to preserve the cambers/bumps/cross section changes if there are any modeled.

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Checking other conversions to see what might be correct isn't really the way to go I think. I suggest you look at ISI tracks instead.

Turbo smooth should be going alright depending on how the road surface is built. If there are a lot of triangles, unwelded vertices, potholes cut in, white lines cut in diagonally, you're gong to have a bad time indeed. Make sure the surface is cleaned up
    before smoothing.

4. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

First need to remove triangles Use quadify in Graphite tools
    After get quads in edit poly can use connect or tessellate.

5. negb

negb Registered

What I figure out last night was to isolate the rf1 track in 3dsimed and then export it to 3ds. I then import the track mesh into 3ds max. I used some quadranglate script that changed the pattern of the mesh from triangles to squares and used tessellate to make more verts and it looked good. I then exported it out again as a 3ds file. I then loaded it back into 3dsimed and converted it back to gmt, I added the real road shader and textures to the track and it looked way better than before. I then exported it to my dev mode folder and fired dev mode. The track started to load almost all the way and then I get the error rfactor has stopped working and dev mode shuts down. Now I'm lost. I did fail to mention that when I exported to 3ds it created a bunch of 3ds files and I could not figure out how to import them all into 3ds max at once so I went back into 3dsimed merged all gmts into one gmt, and then converted to one 3ds file. I was then able to get the whole track mesh into 3ds max. Is this where I have went wrong?

6. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Won't Tessellate only add more poly, and not do anything to smooth? The result is higher poly count with no benefits of having those extra poly?

7. negb

negb Registered

I looked very smooth after Tessellate was applied, and it looked correct in 3dsimed also. The real road looked way better after I modified the mesh but What I don't get is why it is crashing rfactor 2. I looked in logs and could not see any crash logs and rfactor 2 was not telling me anything during the crash, just that it stopped working.

8. negb

negb Registered

I should have said I have looked at official tracks and conversions.

9. negb

negb Registered

Success! I finally got the results I think I'm looking for. Mario you are the man! I plan on purchasing you tools and learning how to use them as intended. I've attached an image of 3ds max and 3dsimed and the track surface looks better and feels better in game. I'm going to keep on working at it. The next question I do have is what about the grass does that need to be set to quad also so the blended grass infields looks better also?
    http://s7.postimg.org/woke0ufob/meshimage.jpg

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  11. negb

negb Registered

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

No there isn't indeed, as I import the mesh though, it seems every polygon has its unique vertices. Meaning, nothing is actually attached/welded to each other :)

13. negb

negb Registered

OK so I have to weld all the vertices together and that's it?

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is a potential issue indeed, but with the 3ds file format format I can't be sure if it's like that with your scene to be honest. Best is to upload a max file to be certain.

I've created an example of what can happen with a mesh when you want to smooth and there are unwelded vertices in there, left is unwelded stuff, right is correct:
    [​IMG]

15. negb

negb Registered

Ok here is the max file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4t2VSRVHKlWd0xkZmc3TUlSLVU/edit?usp=sharing Also the quadrify mesh is only 6 polys across and I want 8 polys across. I have tried to tessellate again and it goes from 6 to 12 polys across and then the real road looks messed up.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2014
  16. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Looking more closely at the mesh, I don't think you need to increase the poly count by a whole lot or at all. The polygons which make up the road are 60*60cm and that is just fine really! Sure
    you can have more, always more, especially for realroad but at one point you'll have to probably watch out with polycount. This looks like great starting point.

However, as I was wondering why you'd want extra resolution, I noticed somewhere it is very likely a tesselation method was applied. This is what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

Also note the similarities between my example image and this one, yes, there is twice the resolution, but it doesn't do anything in terms of shape, rendering it almost useless, except for realroad.
    There are unwelded vertices around as well, make sure you weld those before working on the road, just a good habit really :)

edit:
    Maybe this one is worth attaching too, to avoid gaps and stuff:
    [​IMG]

edit2:
    And also check your units setup, I don't know if gMotor likes inches :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2014
  17. negb

negb Registered

What I have done is select all the vertices and then click weld. Is there something else I have to do to weld all the vertices?

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Actually no you shouldn't, if you have selected them all, click the little box next to weld and use a tiny threshold and click weld. It should be fine after that.
    I hardly use the regular weld option as then functions as a collapse with total disregard for how far apart verts are, it can nasty surprises if you are not careful with your selection.

Vertex count before welding:26622
    Vertex count after welding:11400

19. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Before apply tessellate select only track center edges (lines) when apply with selection you get road edges unattached. the original vertices connections with terrain (curbs to) are maintained. You lose some poly resolution on the edges but is a fast way.
    When i do conversions i use if possible the "Connect" edges in the edit poly.

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Maybe an important note here which I hadn't realized myself!

The tesselate modifier acts as a meshsmooth option like found in the editable mesh/poly modifier and actively changes the shape to the new resolution. This apparently only works on primitives I think!

The tesselate option in a modifier, does not and only adds resolution to the mesh and doesn't alter it in any way, examples above!