Incorrect video RAM reported

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MaBo974, Feb 6, 2012.

1. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

Hi, I have a nVidia 8800GT with 512 MB RAM. rF2 is reporting in the Video Res tab more RAM then I have: sometimes it reports 578 MB others 613 others 557...
    What happens when rF2 try to access that nonexistent video RAM? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

As far as I know, this number isn't used inside the simulation anymore, so you won't experience any unusual behaviour :) .

3. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

Well I'm experiencing also this problem http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2233-Runtime-Error!, maybe they are related?
    What about the config.ini, there is a row with the video RAM, which was wrong too (it was something like 568, I set it to 512). Does rF2 use this file to know how much RAM the video card have?

Thanks again :)

4. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

rFactor has never reported my VRam correctly and that's over both versions, all patches and four video cards. Don't give it too much thought.

5. MJP

MJP Registered

I have a 8800GTS (512MB) version and both rF1 and rF2 report around 730MB (it varies slightly each time I run rFConfig). What I have noticed is the the free RAM bar (the one in top left of screen if you toggle CTRL+F) seems to represent a very similar value.

When (according to RivaTuner) my local video memory hits around the 500 mark (green bar about 25-30%) the red bar just below starts flashing a lot then settles down and FPS sort of stays the same but things don't seem quite as smooth. As the local and non-local usage gets to around 730 my green bar has all but disappeared, after that rF2 usually crashes with a runtime error but a couple of times the 'green' bar has switched to red and I get really low res textures like what happens in rF1.

n.b. editing the VideoRAM line in Config.ini doesn't appear to do anything.

6. ORA-Oldie

ORA-Oldie Registered

The extra RAM showing is from shared memory. In the Config.ini you can change the SystemRAM to what RAM you have, and change the VideoRAM to whatever your card has. rF2 reports correctly for me.

7. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

This seems to confirms my idea: rf2 is trying to use more VRAM then we actually have and when this happens it crashes. When RivaTuner reports 500MB usage, rf2 reports 30% VRAM free rather then about 5%.

8. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

That's almost certainly not causing crashes. The extra RAM reported seems to be vRam + system ram set aside for video. Even if that's not the case if it was specifically misreporting of RAM that was causing your problems it'd happen to everyone. I have a 1GB card and rFactor reports 2791MB. Again, this is not unique to rFactor2 or this card and I've got no crashing. Some cards, (especially ASUS high-end models) don't even report the right amount of ram in DXDIAG.

My last card, (an ASUS 3850) reported double the vRAM it had to all applications because of some tuning technique ASUS used but created no problems with any program, much less rFactor.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012