Inconsistent FFB

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Jura, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Jura

Jura Registered

Does anyone has slightly different ffb feeling every time opening the game or going to the track? I started researching controller files and can someone tell me the difference between controller.json and profiles in Controller folder? Also I used G29 and T150 before I got CSL DD and I never loaded preset for DD1 (since there isnt one for CSL DD) doest it have any effect to the ffb because i never felt that ffb is 100% right?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In reverse order:
    • There's very little actual difference in settings between different controller profiles. It's mostly about the default button/axis assignments. The main settings to change are smoothing (which can be done in the UI) and Steering Torque Capability - which only really applies to quite strong DD wheels. Your CSL is either the base 5Nm (which this setting will basically never change the behaviour of) or the bigger 8Nm (which will still hardly ever have any effect when changing cars, because almost all of them are stronger than that).
    • In terms of feeling and an apparent degradation, you may get some benefit from going into your particular .json file (controller.json, or a specific custom profile if you've saved one - note you'll need to load it again if you make changes to it, and don't just go editing one of the presets - you'll lose your changes at some point when Steam replaces it with the original) and putting Steering resistance coefficient on 0.0. This may give you a slightly cleaner feel and may also alleviate the degradation issue. May I say may again? I may.

Just to reiterate on the files thing - the controller.json in your player folder is your current settings. You can just edit that and never load a profile again in the game, and you'll be fine.
    Otherwise, you can save to a new profile of your own naming, edit that file when and where necessary, and just remember to load that profile again in the game.

If relying on the controller.json be aware there is a fairly rare .json file bug that can lead to a dead player.json file (and the other .json files in the same folder) and when you remove the dead ones your controller.json can get reset by the game. So keeping a backup of all those is a good idea and easy (these files are all tiny).

And a final note on all the above - if you think you've maybe made changes in the past, consider starting with a fresh controller profile just to make sure nothing is wrong with it.

3. Jura

Jura Registered

Thanks for the explanation. No I dont feel degradation (I had that issue too), resistance is sometimes strong sometimes weak, perhaps that resistance coefficient at 0 makes inconsistent feeling.