Incar real setup controls

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by wgeuze, Mar 19, 2013.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Sorry Tim, know I asked this before ;)

With the release of the Marussia I was secretly hoping we would have all the control drivers have through the steering wheel. Sadly I get the impression this is not the case. With this license, I think it's the opportunity to build this into the possibilities we have to drive the car.
    [​IMG]
    The functions I'm talking about would be the ones found on the steering wheel like:

- differential mid speed setting
    - differential entry speed setting
    - differential exit speed setting
    - torque map setting
    - rev map setting
    - fuel mixture setting
    - multi functional knob select function
    - value + setting
    - value - setting

Other F1 teams even have preset-sets on their wheel such as Ferrari. With one toggle button or switch, they can load up some pre-set settings on the wheel. Examples are the Ov toggle button on their wheel, which they can while overtaking someone with some settings done which get applied when the button is pressed. This could be full on rich fuel mixture (1-12), max revs. For a pitstop, they would flick the START toggleswitch for example, which sets the car to lower revs and a different torque map.

[​IMG]

Especially with the standard T500 Ferrari I think these types of wheels, and especially the modded ones, are gaining alot in popularity and it would be great if we are allowed full control over the virtual car we are driving, just like the real drivers would. Whether or not we have a clue what we're doing while fiddling with diff settings that's a different story, but just learning how to work with the extra control would really make my day, and I hope a lot of peoples' too :)

If you guys decide not to go this way for whatever reason, is it possible to give modders the possibility to add this type of real time in-car control in future mods?

Also, is it possible to implement a setting and calibration option for people who have double clutch paddles on their steering wheels?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Still wish to have this, especially with all the F1 mods which we can expect the coming years!
    Especially if its as easy as to promote some properties from setup only to real time, like brake bias or engine revs, please do so.
    rF2 is a big step up for me in lots of ways, but in car controls are really something which I find lacking for a new sim, even more so when there is an officially licensed car :)

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

This video clearly shows all the stuff we're missing out after 7 minutes :)

4. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Now, if only the T500RS Ferrari F1 wheel had real rotary encoders (those in the middle) instead of dummy ones :)

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

There are more options than that toy :)

6. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Oooook. :)
    I've seen the one you're building and that's great, but the only other option I know is the Fanatec Formula rim, which iirc doesn't have all those controls.

Any other option under 500€ ?

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

+1 with so many teams/leagues using f1's these ( or at least some of ) these features would be great !

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Spend all that time on one wheel for one series for a minority group when 1960s is only half done.

Great.

9. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

+1 Would be nice to see all the controls in.

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It's just building in some more controls in the real time environment, how much work can that be...

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi, welcome to the wish list. You may want to peruse other items you don't feel are worthwhile for you or the majority and comment on all those as well. Or let ISI decide what to do - it's up to you.

As far as the OP goes, some level of 'vehicle controls' would be great, whether it's simulating various modes in a passenger car, flicking between different displays in an F1-style wheel, or whatever else. No doubt it could get very complex very quickly but so's the rest of rF2 ;)

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Yes, some cars will have onboard levels of anti roll bar changes, ABS or TC even.

I really hope to have someone from ISI comment and share their views on this subject. Stuff like this really makes this sim even more complete than it already is at this stage :)

If only we could drop the torque and maximum revs in the rain, that would surely improve handling a great deal in the wet and damp conditions. Or drop fuel mixture and revs behind the safety car, change kers harvesting, oh boy :)

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

KERS is the big one -even if it were implemented in a basic form

Fuel mixture etc would be ace

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

KERS could be implemented as part of the existing controls though, with some in-built parameters defining when and how long it can be used.

The potential up-side of having some sort of system defining a number of vehicle controls is the possibility to have an on-screen alternate to actually assigning buttons to each of the options. So the guy with 26 on-wheel buttons and 7 rotary dials can assign all those to various functions, while the guy with 2 on-wheel buttons and a keyboard could navigate an on-screen multi-layer menu to get to (and adjust) all those same options.

Actually, now I think about it, the entire on-screen menu could be an option that's fully configurable by the user and covering all vehicle controls, including those that exist now. There are already movement controls defined for the HUD, if you were to have a key/button that entered the 'vehicle menu' those controls could just as easily navigate and adjust settings in that menu instead. Of course it's not as simple as having dedicated inputs for those options but it would at least give a useable option for those running out of buttons.

Such a menu would probably need to be overridden by the HUD if a pitstop were requested, etc.

As far as per-vehicle controls, the mod maker could define a script that says what controls there are on a car (and what they do with various parameters), then rF2 provides those controls in the GUI to be assigned to inputs and/or added to a configurable user menu accessible when driving.

Anyway, going a bit OT now, just thinking... ;)

15. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Considering how many controls basically any modern race car has available at the wheel any more it is absolutely critical they wake up and get going on these things. They REALLY need to take a page out of the iRacing book and just create a incar adjustments HUD page, especially with an Indycar on the horizon. Incar adjustments there - especially if you want to bring up ovals which I think they do given they have none right now and Indianapolis in the works - isn't just "nice", it's absolutely critical.

But I doubt it will happen, given it didn't happen with rF1. A good chunk of it is already available in the menus, they just can't / don't care enough to make it work in sim - though ARBs can be changed, so it's not entirely implausible....

PS - Control box is best way to do it IMHO, that way you don't need to have a wheel with 8 rotaries on it. lol

16. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

LAZZA

Not offtopic at all, such a thing already exists with SLI MAx Manager where you can bind switches to variables, like the maximum revs for example. If they only promote more of the functions to real-time adjustability and output the data for it we can have all the flexibility we need.

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Still need this, how can the best simulator including an officially licensed car still not have anything close to this? :)

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Dat drink-button....

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I'm still wondering when this will be introduced, we're already halfway there I think.

Another thing, is it possible, using SLI Max Manager, to access certain variables like for example maximum revs or diff in with a switch setting
    specific values?

As of now those will only work with a + and - input, but really with a 12 position switch it would be more logical if you could do:

pos1: $maxRevs * 1
    pos2: $maxRevs * 0.95
    pos3: $maxRevs * 0.9
    pos4: $maxRevs * 0.85
    etc.

When driving a race and it gets wet, a throttle map setting would also be great, to have less torque delivery relative to pedal throw. This is explained in one of Rosbergs'
    movies. This is also a controller setup option already so it would be cool to be able to control that from inside the cockpit.
    [​IMG]

I still find it hard to believe we got officially licensed content, but allmost all the control the driver has is left out :p

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Still would like to see more control :)

And KERS so it can be used in RFT2013 :)