Inaccurate Player numbers on servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whitmore, Apr 25, 2018.

1. whitmore

whitmore Registered

For a long time now a complaint has been that the number of players shown on the servers is not actual players but in most cases the minimum number of AI that have been set by the server admin.

It is not until joining the server that this is able to be confirmed. Not only have this complaint been around for a long time but official 397 servers are doing the same thing. Nothing like false advertising.

2. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes! It would be much better if AI players were excluded from the player count. I'm not sure what the idea is in doing this, but I always felt it is counter productive.

3. elbo

elbo Registered

I now avoid open servers with more than 5 people because 9 times out of 10 it is populated with AI. I have been around RF2 long enough that it does not piss me off too much anymore but I can imagine someone new to the game would be right pissed by this.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  4. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    CamiloNino, 2ndLastJedi and bwana like this.
  5. bwana

bwana Registered

Isn’t it a steam thing as well ?

6. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Update both S397 open servers no longer showing AI as players on the servers. Thank you 397

7. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I added a new program rF2_serversWithHumans.exe that goes through all servers finding the ones with drivers whose names are not in the list of known AI drivers (drivers.txt).

whitmore, 2ndLastJedi and bwana like this.
  8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Sweet and thanks , now how do I use this ?

9. bwana

bwana Registered

Exe file so should just start itself , open and select servers ( at a guess )

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  10. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Download rF2_serversWithHumans.exe and drivers.txt then run it. It collects a list of servers (that takes a couple of minutes the first time) then list the ones with human drivers. It’s not slick and it’s a little slow, if people like it I can add some kind of GUI front end for it and maybe find a faster API for collecting the list of servers. At least it's quicker and less frustrating than joining a server only to find it's full of AI.

It assumes that servers are fairly static, when you want to refresh the list delete servers.file.json and it will collect a fresh list of servers.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    whitmore likes this.
  11. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I picked up @Goanna's idea server info will also tell you if there are a shipload of bots...they'll all be online for the same period of time and added it to https://github.com/TonyWhitley/rF2_serverNotify/releases/tag/V0.8 rF2_serversWithHumans.exe
    Players who have have been connected for "a time identical to the longest time of anyone playing" are now added to the list of AI players I scraped from the rF2 data files.

EsxPaul, bwana and Goanna like this.